How to Configure Omada Router with BSNL Syrotech router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-04 11:40:13 - last edited 2023-09-08 08:58:36
Tags: #DHCP Service #NAT #Routing #ONT, Syrotech, BSNLFiber
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Need some help to setup the omada router with BSNL ONT router (India) provided by Syrotech.

My ISP (Bsnl India) has provided me witn ONT router, which bascially has a built in Media Converter, Modem, Router and WAP. I am trying to set this up with the ER605 router. The idea is to set up the entire home network with Omada hardware controller, Jetstrem witch and multiple WAP.

The ONT has the PON in and 2 LAN output (plus the WIFI access). I want to use this just as a modem and use TPlink router to make things smoother for me.

Initailly i used the as is setup and connected the LAN from the ONT to the WAN port of ER605, and was able to establish the internet connection. This was on the default setup and both ONT and ER605 had the DHCP on. I was able to establish the internet connection via LAN as well as WAP but the speed was almost 30% slower as compared to LAN connected to ONT directly. I then switchedoff the DHCP on the ONT site, after which I was not able to establish the internet connectivity. Now even with the DHCP on the ONT site the connectivity is very irradic, and though it shows connected (LAN status), I cant browse the internet. Plus I am having a whole lot of other issues like DNS not getting assinged automatically and I had to manually setup the DNS evertime I connect.

I checked with the ISP, they don't have anything out of the box to solve my need (I was probably looking a compaitable media converter to put in my ONT and get ethernet WAN out).

How do I make this two work so that the ONT ony acts as a modem and then passes on the WAN to ER605.

Any direction, read or help is hightly appreciated.

Regards,

Y

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:How to Configure Omada Router with BSNL Syrotech router-Solution
2023-09-05 02:57:23 - last edited 2023-09-08 08:58:36

Hi @youbarajsha 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TBH, if you need help setting up the modem router to be a modem, then consider contacting your modem manufacturer for help.

Like you mentioned you have a speed drop of about 30% on router WAN(you mean router, right?), which could be a modem router issue. Switch it to the modem and it should work great. Don't create double NAT.

If you say that you have a speed drop on the WAP, then you should consider wireless specs and link speed.

DNS, you should set LAN DNS on the interface.

About the media converter, you just need to make sure that your fiber is not gonna be modulated again, and then you probably can go with the media converter plan. Because your optical signal is a plain optical signal and can be used directly on a router.

(Media converter does not modulate) But if your fiber needs a modem, then you should keep the modem but in bridge mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:How to Configure Omada Router with BSNL Syrotech router-Solution
2023-09-05 02:57:23 - last edited 2023-09-08 08:58:36

Hi @youbarajsha 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TBH, if you need help setting up the modem router to be a modem, then consider contacting your modem manufacturer for help.

Like you mentioned you have a speed drop of about 30% on router WAN(you mean router, right?), which could be a modem router issue. Switch it to the modem and it should work great. Don't create double NAT.

If you say that you have a speed drop on the WAP, then you should consider wireless specs and link speed.

DNS, you should set LAN DNS on the interface.

About the media converter, you just need to make sure that your fiber is not gonna be modulated again, and then you probably can go with the media converter plan. Because your optical signal is a plain optical signal and can be used directly on a router.

(Media converter does not modulate) But if your fiber needs a modem, then you should keep the modem but in bridge mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:How to Configure Omada Router with BSNL Syrotech router
2023-09-13 05:05:24

Thank your for your response. Apologies for getting back late, but I was busy learning the Omada ecosystem itself as well as working out with my ISP to get details to set things up. I am still unable to solve this completely (connectivity works but with its own challenges). I am putting up more details here, so that I can get better suggestions for the resolution.

My current setup - The LAN port from my ISP modem (+ router) is connected to the WAN of my ER605. The set up on the ISP modem side is as is (DHCP enabled, Route mode, VLAN and MTU details are as provided by the ISP. Its currently only on IP4 setup, IP6 works but somehow over sometime the modem reverts back to IP4 only.

Status - Every hing works as expected, however once a while (at least 4/5 times a day) I get DNS error while trying to browse even most common pages like Google. A quick IP release and IP renew, and things start working again (sometimes DNS flush). This is honestly annoying. Plus this connection gives me most 10-30% drop on speed.

My Trail and Errors (but nothing is working as of today and I am still on the set up mentioned above)

Trial 1 

1. I changed the mode on my modem from Route to Bridge, and disabled the DHCP.

2. Kept the VLAN and MTU details in the Modem as is

3. Transferred (literally typed) the connection settings to ER605

a. Selected PPPoE

b. Entered User ID and Password provided by ISP

c. Entered the DNS IP provided by the ISP in advance settings

d. Selected get ip from ISP (checked on)

e. Entered the same MTU provided by the ISP (both modem and ER605 has same MTU)

f. Rest of the settings are as is

Result - In the event log I get following error "PPPoE myusername failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out." and obviously there is no internet connectivity

Trial 2

1. I changed the mode on my modem from Route to Bridge, and disabled the DHCP.

2. Removed the VLAN and kept MTU details in the Modem to 1500 (sets as default when I change from Route to Bridge)

3. Transferred (literally typed) the connection settings to ER605

a. Selected PPPoE

b. Entered User ID and Password provided by ISP

c. Entered the DNS IP provided by the ISP in advance settings

d. Selected get ip from ISP (checked on)

e. Entered the same MTU provided by the ISP (Only ER605 has the MTU given by ISP, Modem has 1500)

f. Rest of the settings are as is

Result - In the event log I get following error "PPPoE myusername failed to connect to the server because sending PADI times out." and obviously there is no internet connectivity.

NB: I played around with some minor settings in the Modem and ER605, but nothing helped me establish the internet connectivity.

Trial 3

I applied for a static IP from the ISP, but to my surprise it comes with a subnet of 255.255.255.255, current ER605 page throws an error that subnet is incorrect, I am unable to save the settings.

So until now, I am on Dynamic settings with time to time DNS flush to make my internet work. Can someone point me out on how to use the static ip with the subnet of 32 to work with ER605. I am ok with even 30% drop in speed, but my whole purpose of setting up Omada ecosystem is getting defeated as I am not able to completely migrate to the Omada setup.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 772

Replies: 2

Tags

DHCP Service NAT Routing
ONT, Syrotech, BSNLFiber
Related Articles