EAP-650 V1 -- No Firmware available on the US Site.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-25 03:27:23
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.0.3

We do have several EAP 650--V1 delivered with Firmware V1.0.3.  They seem to always get in Status Disconnect as view by the OC200.

I look for new firmware, and they were none on https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/eap650/v1/.  Like missing

I find a beta release 1.0.10.  It seems to solve the issue for about 75% of the unit.    We get a few units that seems to be bricked in the process.  So far, we have no idea on how to recover them.

Anyway the questions:

• Can we get an official release firmware for these EAP 650 V1.
  • Is it normal that they try to reach an Amazon server (AWS).  (Phone Home...?)  This is a new installation, and it did trigger the IPS System of the customer.  The customer does not tolerate any cloud base "Phone home feature" from any of the products use at the site.   I will have to filter them out with firewall or replace the TP-Link EAPs.

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP-650 V1 -- No Firmware available on the US Site.
2023-09-25 08:58:07

@JYL-FARM 

The new official firmware hasn't been released yet, now the Beta is the latest one.

JYL-FARM wrote

• Is it normal that they try to reach an Amazon server (AWS).  (Phone Home...?)  This is a new installation, and it did trigger the IPS System of the customer.  The customer does not tolerate any cloud base "Phone home feature" from any of the products use at the site.   I will have to filter them out with firewall or replace the TP-Link EAPs. 

Yes, it's normal, because the EAP needs to access the cloud, otherwise you can only use the AP on the local LAN.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-09-25 17:33:45

@Virgo Thank for the answer.

JYL-FARM wrote

Virgo wrote

Yes, it's normal, because the EAP needs to access the cloud, otherwise you can only use the AP on the local LAN.

Do you have more information on the feature ?  Or can that be simply explained ?

The client was under the impression that when the "Cloud Access" was disabled in the OC200, only the OC200 was accessing to check the version of various software.   In fact, he will have liked to have a trigger (an option in the software controller) he can control as to when these checks are done.

I will certainly have to explain it in detail as this client is migrating to TP-LInk because of the mandatory "Phone Home"  of his current solution.

Options
2023-09-26 03:03:28

@JYL-FARM 

They use the amazon server as the cloud access base station, the device will try to access the amazon server if only it connects to the cloud. If you don't want the device to have a similar behavior, disable the cloud access and use the controller locally only.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options