ER605 v2: (Custom) Dynamic DNS either not working at all or only when "Enabled"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-06 11:50:20 - last edited 2023-11-01 02:00:54
Tags: #Highlighted Thread #Dynamic DNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi All,

since days i am trying to get Dynamic DNS accordingly to work, without success. I read already several threads, like this

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/599332?replyId=1183126

or that

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/601112?replyId=1185454 

Starting point:

Meanwhile i have several Dynamic DNS accounts: dynv6[dot]com, ipv64[dot]net and also NO-IP.

With dynv6 or ipv64 my WAN ip is not updated at all, although i exactly used the HowTo from @Hoamboy (HowTo)

I tried several Update URLs, but none of them worked.

ipv64 URL used:

dynv6 URL used:

So, i lately switched to NO-IP, but here it just updates once... when i switch from deactivated to "Enabled". But not in the specified update interval e. g. 1 hour

Questions:

1. Any idea what could be wrong?

2. Is the WAN IP only re-distributed to the DDNS service in case it changes? or should it be updated always by the configured Update Interval?

3. Could it be somehow related to the WAN offline/online indication of the Router? It was showing "offline" althoug everything is online. I am using Telekom Magenta PPPoE. I turned on the "Online Detection Interval" and it shows now "Online", but doesn't make any difference...

4. Last but not least: Is there any way to see the DDNS requests in the Router logs? or would it be possible to monitor the traffic on the WAN port with the router e. g. .pcap network trace?

Thanks a lot in advance!!!

Cheers Dino

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605 v2: (Custom) Dynamic DNS either not working at all or only when "Enabled"-Solution
2023-10-31 01:39:09 - last edited 2023-11-01 00:58:35

Hi @Fritzemann 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

About the UI of the Controller, I'd recommend you read the User Guide which you can find them. I cannot explain every term to you.

"Online" status means you got Internet access. It does not relate to the DDNS. Nothing to do with the DDNS which you should never care about.

The "Disconnect" you talked about in DDNS settings, it only means what you input in your Username and Password may not be correct so it cannot sync with their server. Built-in DDNS should be working fine. Unless you can provide a different result. I'll let the test team do a test again based on your config.

About the DDNS, our test team has tested all the DDNS mentioned, and it is clear that people made mistakes in the URL format.

Be careful and copy the whole URL!!!

IPv64 URL before: https://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@ipv64.net/nic/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]

Correct: https://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@ipv64.net/nic/update?key=XXXXXXX&hostname=[DOMAIN]

Token(key) needed.

Dynv6 before: http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@dynv6.com/api/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&token=[username]&password=[password]sipv4=[ipaddr]

Correct: http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@dynv6.com/api/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&token=XXXXX&password=[password]sipv4=[IP]

Token needed.

Totally misleading. I think the docs people find are not correct or they input in an informal way which is the cause of the issue with the custom DDNS.

And also notice that the Status on the DDNS page will be reported differently based on the DDNS provider's reply.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 v2: (Custom) Dynamic DNS either not working at all or only when "Enabled"-Solution
2023-10-31 10:47:05 - last edited 2023-11-01 00:58:37

Hi @Clive_A 

thanks for your detailed answer and your example URLs. I managed to upgrade to 2.2.2 and made further tests. Overall seen it works now!!! Let me share the results with you.

Built-In NO-IP DDNS:

My interval issue is fixed with 2.2.2, without changing anything. It is updated now hourly.

However, the LAST UPDATED status in Insight stays on the timestamp when Service was "Enabled". From my point of view a minor issue:

Although it is updated accordingly at NO-IP hourly:

Logging works fine aswell:

Custom DDNS -> IPv64.net:

This works too! Thanks for pointing me to the correct URL!!!

The custom interval e. g. 5 minutes works aswell

Like you said "And also notice that the Status on the DDNS page will be reported differently based on the DDNS provider's reply. "

I can confirm this :-)

Tthe LAST UPDATED timestamps are updated accordingly.

Fun fact? Maybe nochg means "noch good", which could be because it is from a german DDNS service and might mean "still good" (translated) :-D

Updated accordingly:

Custom DDNS -> dynv6:

This works fine too. Thanks for the URL hint, there were just two small typos: Password needs to be in capital letters and the ipv4 was not separated with &.

Correct syntax is:

However, on this one it seems that the DDNS would just update in case the IPv4 address would change. After activation it returns "addresses updated" and then on configured interval "addresses unchanged". The LAST UPDATED status by the Router is updated accordingly though.

Alright, sorry for the long Reply :-)

Hope this might help you for further investigations or somebody else who is struggling with DDNS, like i did.

For my personal usage i will stick to IPv64 which nicely works.

Thanks a lot for your support @Clive_A 

Br Dino

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:ER605 v2: (Custom) Dynamic DNS either not working at all or only when "Enabled"
2023-10-25 06:07:35

Does no one have any idea?

What else could i try?

Thanks Dino

Options
Re:ER605 v2: (Custom) Dynamic DNS either not working at all or only when "Enabled"
2023-10-25 06:48:29

Hi @Fritzemann 

OC version and have you tried the 2.2.2 release to your ER605?

Double-check your username and password. Go to Insights, and check your Custom DDNS status.

Please paste a screenshot of the status. Mosaic sensitive information if there is any.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-10-30 03:10:35

Any update?

Options
2023-10-30 10:50:26 - last edited 2023-10-30 10:52:19

Hi @Clive_A 

unfortunately i couldn't test yet 2.2.2, but i upgraded the OCS to 5.12.7 this morning again. However, not sure why the 2.2.2 update isn't offered to me yet. So i plan to update it manually and come back with further analysis as i read saw in the Release Note that some work was done at DDNS.

In the meantime a screenshot from Insight -> DDNS:

PW should be correct, because it successfuly updates when de- and activating the service. Another screenshot after manual reactivation:

But what i just realized it that the STATUS has changed to "disconnect"?!

However, WAN Status says its online?

Now i switched back to check Insights again and it suddenly says "connect":

Thanks Dino

Options
2023-10-30 11:53:29

One hour later, no update:

Br Dino

Options
2023-10-31 01:39:09 - last edited 2023-11-01 00:58:35

Hi @Fritzemann 

About the UI of the Controller, I'd recommend you read the User Guide which you can find them. I cannot explain every term to you.

"Online" status means you got Internet access. It does not relate to the DDNS. Nothing to do with the DDNS which you should never care about.

The "Disconnect" you talked about in DDNS settings, it only means what you input in your Username and Password may not be correct so it cannot sync with their server. Built-in DDNS should be working fine. Unless you can provide a different result. I'll let the test team do a test again based on your config.

About the DDNS, our test team has tested all the DDNS mentioned, and it is clear that people made mistakes in the URL format.

Be careful and copy the whole URL!!!

IPv64 URL before: https://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@ipv64.net/nic/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]

Correct: https://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@ipv64.net/nic/update?key=XXXXXXX&hostname=[DOMAIN]

Token(key) needed.

Dynv6 before: http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@dynv6.com/api/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&token=[username]&password=[password]sipv4=[ipaddr]

Correct: http://[USERNAME]:[PASSWORD]@dynv6.com/api/update?hostname=[DOMAIN]&token=XXXXX&password=[password]sipv4=[IP]

Token needed.

Totally misleading. I think the docs people find are not correct or they input in an informal way which is the cause of the issue with the custom DDNS.

And also notice that the Status on the DDNS page will be reported differently based on the DDNS provider's reply.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-31 10:47:05 - last edited 2023-11-01 00:58:37

Hi @Clive_A 

thanks for your detailed answer and your example URLs. I managed to upgrade to 2.2.2 and made further tests. Overall seen it works now!!! Let me share the results with you.

Built-In NO-IP DDNS:

My interval issue is fixed with 2.2.2, without changing anything. It is updated now hourly.

However, the LAST UPDATED status in Insight stays on the timestamp when Service was "Enabled". From my point of view a minor issue:

Although it is updated accordingly at NO-IP hourly:

Logging works fine aswell:

Custom DDNS -> IPv64.net:

This works too! Thanks for pointing me to the correct URL!!!

The custom interval e. g. 5 minutes works aswell

Like you said "And also notice that the Status on the DDNS page will be reported differently based on the DDNS provider's reply. "

I can confirm this :-)

Tthe LAST UPDATED timestamps are updated accordingly.

Fun fact? Maybe nochg means "noch good", which could be because it is from a german DDNS service and might mean "still good" (translated) :-D

Updated accordingly:

Custom DDNS -> dynv6:

This works fine too. Thanks for the URL hint, there were just two small typos: Password needs to be in capital letters and the ipv4 was not separated with &.

Correct syntax is:

However, on this one it seems that the DDNS would just update in case the IPv4 address would change. After activation it returns "addresses updated" and then on configured interval "addresses unchanged". The LAST UPDATED status by the Router is updated accordingly though.

Alright, sorry for the long Reply :-)

Hope this might help you for further investigations or somebody else who is struggling with DDNS, like i did.

For my personal usage i will stick to IPv64 which nicely works.

Thanks a lot for your support @Clive_A 

Br Dino

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 920

Replies: 7

Tags

Related Articles