ER605 disconnected since months but reachable via VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ER605 disconnected since months but reachable via VPN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:ER605 disconnected since months but reachable via VPN
2023-10-19 06:59:16

Hi @Birillo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Birillo wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

thanks a lot for your help!

The device is in this status since July!

It never reconnected to the controller ....except for the VPN that continue working as usual.

FYI ssh is enabled on the ER605 ..but for what I saw there is no useful command that could help.

I can reach the web interface ..but it says that it is managed by Omada.

In the same network I can reach a small linux device (arm64). I tried to run there the Discovery utility but without any luck. 
I tried different JRE distribution and JavaFX libraries but I have not been able to successfully run the utility. It crashes as soon it starts.

If possible, I'd suggest you use the discovery utility to re-adopt the device. Give it a try.

So far I have been running the connection fine for hours. I'll leave it for a day and see what happens.

We don't provide any troubleshooting or debugging SSH command lines or SSH tech support for the ER605. I know that there are lines may be debunked by people but I stop here.

I recall if the device is under the controller, it cannot modify SSH or the lines are not effective. ER8411 offers the console user guide which you can take a look at yourself.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-10-19 07:03:16 - last edited 2023-10-19 07:07:57

Thanks @Clive_A 

In the meantime, are you please able to point me to the right JRE distribution for arm64?
I am really struggling to run the Discovery tool.

Is it normal that running the tool locally I cannot find the local ER605?

Options
2023-10-19 07:12:30

Hi @Birillo 

Birillo wrote

Thanks @Clive_A 

In the meantime, are you please able to point me to the right JRE distribution for arm64?
I am really struggling to run the Discovery tool.

Is it normal that running the tool locally I cannot find the local ER605?

You should run the discovery utility on the remote site. In your case. So you should remote to the remote LAN. A computer. Run it there and point the devices in this controller IP. It's LAN IP because you are running it over VPN tunnel.

Sorry that I don't have a Linux environment. You should look at the controller section where people post guides for installation of the Controller (in a Linux environment), I remember.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-10-20 03:01:02

Hi @Birillo 

Been running it for a day and there is no disconnection. Nor the VPN. I suggest you run Wireshark and ping and monitor this for some time.

Just like I asked earlier, how often does it happen? Any pattern?

Use Wireshark on the remote site. Filter should be icmp or ip.addr == x.x.x.x(this should be VPN IP) and tcp.port == 29814.

You should see every few seconds, there is a sync packet between the controller and the remote router(with the VPN IP the client gets).

I'd like to see if it's the remote stopped sending over the sync or it is your VPN stopped stealthily.

Options
2023-10-20 07:57:57 - last edited 2023-10-20 08:29:03

Hi @Clive_A,

I have good news.
I used Wireshark as you suggested and I noticed that there was nothing filtered with port 29814.
So just for test I applied the filter on udp 29810 and I could see packets coming from the router.

So I have redirected the packets on the Linux server coming from UDP:29810 and TCP:29814 to the wan ip of the controller.
It has been re-adopted and it is now connected.

The problem is that if I stop the forwarding, the connection with the controller is lost.

This is what I did:
socat -T15 udp4-recvfrom:29810,reuseaddr,fork udp:xxxxx:29810

socat tcp-listen:29814,reuseaddr,fork tcp:xxxxx:29814

At this point I assume that happened because of the dynamic public IP on the controller site. Also if this was always the case for years.

There is something I am missing in how Omada works, sorry.
Is there a way to use a dynamic IP that the router can use in case it needs to reconnect to the controller?

Thanks a lot for your help

Options
2023-10-20 08:57:22

Hi @Birillo 

Birillo wrote

Hi @Clive_A,

I have good news.
I used Wireshark as you suggested and I noticed that there was nothing filtered with port 29814.
So just for test I applied the filter on udp 29810 and I could see packets coming from the router.

So I have redirected the packets on the Linux server coming from UDP:29810 and TCP:29814 to the wan ip of the controller.
It has been re-adopted and it is now connected.

This is what I did:
socat -T15 udp4-recvfrom:29810,reuseaddr,fork udp:xxxxx:29810

socat tcp-listen:29814,reuseaddr,fork tcp:xxxxx:29814

At this point I assume that happened because of the dynamic public IP on the controller site. Also if this was always the case for years.

There is something I am missing in how Omada works, sorry.
Is there a way to use a dynamic IP that the router can use in case it needs to reconnect to the controller?

Thanks a lot for your help

But if it is a dynamic IP on your WAN, then it should not be a problem that you cannot connect back. I mean if your WAN IP has been changed, you should at least see a log showing that your WAN disconnects during the DHCP release. You should directly face a VPN issue instead.

But as you reported, there were no logs or any evidence showing the WAN is ever down or the VPN is disconnected.

If your WAN is dynamic, use DDNS to fix the IP problem. That's the way to fix the VPN establishment and then you take port forwarding for adoption into consideration.
Seems to be some order mistake or logic issue.

Options
Re:ER605 disconnected since months but reachable via VPN-Solution
2023-10-20 09:30:21 - last edited 2023-10-20 10:26:59

Hi @Clive_A,

the VPN is using DDNS. So there is no problem with the VPN.
Now that I have been able to connect (also if with that workaround) to the remote router, I am finally able to see logs but I cannot find anything useful.

What I suspect is that when I first adopted the router I used a dynamic IP hostname that for some reason has not been updated anymore or some similar issue.

So what I did now, I changed the port redirection from linux in site B to point to the ports on my local PC in site A where I am running the Discovery Utility (for some reason I could not run it from site B).
    socat -T15 udp4-recvfrom:29810,reuseaddr,fork udp:192.168.0.17:29810

socat tcp-listen:29814,reuseaddr,fork tcp:192.168.0.17:29814

It worked perfectly and I have been able to re-adopt the router on site B using the address configured in DDNS.
I have then removed any port redirections in linux, reboot all the devices (just for testing) and the remote router is now connected.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-10-20 13:29:26

@Birillo 

Hi there,

It's good to know that the VPN connection is still working even though the ER605 shows as disconnected. This suggests that the issue might be related to the Omada interface. You can try some troubleshooting steps remotely:

1. Check the device's IP address and make sure it's on the same network as before.

2. Ensure the firmware is up to date. If not, consider updating it remotely.

3. Reconfigure the device's status in Omada. Sometimes, refreshing or re-adding it can help.

If these steps don't work, it might be a configuration or software issue. You might need to plan for a more thorough diagnostic when it's feasible.

Options
2023-10-20 13:35:09 - last edited 2023-10-20 13:40:32

Hi  @Davidsk 

thank you for your reply, but please note that I solved the issue this morning.
I have been able to run the Discovery Utility from VPN (instead of the remote site as normally necessary) redirecting the ports using a linux device still reachable in the remote site via VPN.
As said, I suspect that the hostname used when I initially configured the router was not valid anymore

Thank you

Options
Related Articles