EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients
2023-10-19 10:23:45
Options
2023-10-19 12:40:06

@Lectron8 

Just for giggles, have you confirmed the signal strength of the active connected clients during these issues?

We need to see where they are sitting at during these issues.  This is step 1 in figuring out what is wrong.  (Besides updated controller and firmware)

Go to the client list and click on the 3 dots on the right of the list.  Check customized columns.

Check: Channel, Signal, RX, and TX, Wireless connection.

Look at what band they're sitting at and the signal level.  You will want your clients to be below -70... anything above -70 is heading to a bad connection.  You really want you clients to be in the -50 to -60 range.  Your clients need to roam between bands and APs properly.  If you have low signal on the 5ghz, thats means the client isnt roaming between bands properly.  Enabling Mini Rssi on the 5ghz will help that.  If you have low signal on the 2.4ghz, that would mean you could have a DEAD spot.  Add another AP.  

Look at your RX/TX numbers... the lower the number means more interference.  Change the channel.  

This is the quick way of checking how HAPPY your wireless clients are playing with the network.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-19 12:46:33
Options
2023-10-19 12:50:01

@Lectron8 I can see from my screen the individual AP's disconnecting and reconnecting via provisioning, configuring, randomly. constantly.

Options
2023-10-19 12:54:21

@Lectron8 

When the AP drops, does POE on the switch turn off too?

Do you have meshing enabled?  If so, does this AP try to mesh on its own? (good test) 

Trying to figure out if it could be a bad cable or connector.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-10-19 13:08:09

@Lectron8 

Here is what a happy 225-o to 225-o link looks like in my 5.x controller.  (BTW there is zero reason you shouldn't upgrade to the 5.x series with these devices)

My guess is you are seeing worse numbers than my 55% (-68dBm).

If your wirelessly meshed nodes are constantly loosing sync due to poor signal quality/strength or high channel noise, then they will randomly 'Isolate', 'Adopt', 'ReProvision', and that will bounce all the attached clients to other APs if they can reach them, or disconnect them if they can't.

For the 5GHz radios in your wired nodes, are you on Auto channel, or did you fix a specific channel?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-10-19 13:48:03

@Lectron8 my system only has one switch and that is to the first AP the rest are wireless using Auto channel, and yes to mesh and all are set to 40MHZ channel width. they all drop randomly at random times not all at the same time. 

Options
Re:EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients-Solution
2023-10-19 13:57:46 - last edited 2023-10-19 18:10:05

@Lectron8 Ok your original post say Controller Software so I misunderstood that. So you have the Software Controller. Then get this.  v5.12.7 Windows Software Controller

You are not going to be altering your hardware doing this. If you don't want to use the link, go to the TP-Link device page for the EAP225 Outdoor V3 and it is listed as the correct Software Controller.  If it were me, I would Forget all of your devices in the old software controller, if necessary reset them. Uninstall the old software controll. Install the new software controller and adopt.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP 225 Constantly disconnecting and dropping clients-Solution
2023-10-19 14:10:40 - last edited 2023-10-19 18:09:50
Ok would really like to see the link data on the 6 outdoors. I'm convinced the issue is radio related. As a stabilization test, you could temporarily disable client access on the 5Ghz radio (ie remove client SSIDs from the 5Ghz radio), leaving them dedicated for mesh backhaul...and this is MOST important on the wired node, which I suspect is the 225 indoor. If the system gets more stable, you have your answer. Also, the 4.1.5 compatibility is the MINIMUM level needed for the device firmware(s). You really should update to v5, the issue might be that you need to go through some intermediate versions in order to restore a system backup file from 4.2 to 5.12. Alternatively, you can rebuild your network from scratch...but either way make SURE you copy down the current device Admin account credentials otherwise you'll be outside climbing poles to hard reset your APs if things go wrong.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles