Omada SOFTWARE Controller

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-20 06:45:32 - last edited 2023-10-23 06:08:52

Hi everyone !

I'm new to TP-Link and Omada Controller. I'm trying to install the Omada Software Controller in order to get an access and a view of my different EAPs (I got 225 and 225-Outdoor). 

I also have several questions : 

- Do I have the obligation to use TP-Links switches and routers or can I use HP models by example.

- I downloaded the Omada Software Controller, I didn't see my EAP when I configured it, can I add them by myself after?

- Does someone have a link or something which could help me configure my LANs, WLANs and other ? The only things I can find are linked to the Omada HARDWARE Controller

I am using the Omada Software Controller with the latest version of it (5.12.7). I downloaded it on a VM with Windows Server 2019.

My Controller is in the same network that my EAPs and I can ping them (they respond correctly) and provides their network

I wish u all a good day and I hope you'll be able to help me.

Ohh and please don't mind my English, I'm French so I'm trying my best btw

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada SOFTWARE Controller-Solution
2023-10-20 22:07:37 - last edited 2023-10-23 06:08:52

@Nezdia 

Hello and Welcome

I hopefully should be able to answer your questions!

- Do I have the obligation to use TP-Links switches and routers or can I use HP models by example.

No.   As long as the controller can talk to the APs, then it can control them regardless of what switch manufactuer you choose.   If you are just after managed WiFi, this wil work with any switch / router.  However if you want certain controller features (WAN filtering, Speed Restrictions, VLAN etc) then you will need appropiate Omada hardware.   

- I downloaded the Omada Software Controller, I didn't see my EAP when I configured it, can I add them by myself after?

The EAP will appear under DEVICES on the right menu, in here you should see the EAP and an option to adopt.   If not its likely  1. not able to communicate/contact the EAP..   2. the EAP needs reset, adopted APs should be factory reset before adopting.

- Does someone have a link or something which could help me configure my LANs, WLANs and other ? The only things I can find are linked to the Omada HARDWARE Controller

On YouTube there is a video from Mactelecom networks on how to set up omada, search for that and you should have all you need.   Also any documentation for the hardware controller is fine, the hardware controller runs the same SDN as the software controller, only difference is you are buying a box (namely dont need to provide a server)

I am using the Omada Software Controller with the latest version of it (5.12.7). I downloaded it on a VM with Windows Server 2019.

Check you windows firewall isnt blocking.. this is VERY common

My Controller is in the same network that my EAPs and I can ping them (they respond correctly) and provides their network

Your english is fine, far superior to my french :)

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada SOFTWARE Controller-Solution
2023-10-20 22:07:37 - last edited 2023-10-23 06:08:52

@Nezdia 

Hello and Welcome

I hopefully should be able to answer your questions!

No.   As long as the controller can talk to the APs, then it can control them regardless of what switch manufactuer you choose.   If you are just after managed WiFi, this wil work with any switch / router.  However if you want certain controller features (WAN filtering, Speed Restrictions, VLAN etc) then you will need appropiate Omada hardware.   

The EAP will appear under DEVICES on the right menu, in here you should see the EAP and an option to adopt.   If not its likely  1. not able to communicate/contact the EAP..   2. the EAP needs reset, adopted APs should be factory reset before adopting.

On YouTube there is a video from Mactelecom networks on how to set up omada, search for that and you should have all you need.   Also any documentation for the hardware controller is fine, the hardware controller runs the same SDN as the software controller, only difference is you are buying a box (namely dont need to provide a server)

Check you windows firewall isnt blocking.. this is VERY common

Your english is fine, far superior to my french :)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada SOFTWARE Controller
2023-10-24 06:16:56

@Philbert 

Hi, I hope you have a good day !

I just wanted to thank you for the answer. In fact, I couldn't see my APs because of the Firewall (I wanna cry, I forgot it). It seems all good now !!

Options
Re:Omada SOFTWARE Controller
2023-10-24 08:29:55

@Philbert 

I'm coming ack to ask you a few more things.

- I can now see my APs and manage them in my controller.

- I created my WiFi network (I can connect a computer to it)

- For now on, I'm gonna use the default LAN (192.168.1.0 / 24)

My AP shows the WiFi I created (let's call him WiFi-A) but I don't know how to tell my AP that, when I connect a computer on WiFi-A I want an IP address looking like 192.168.1.0/24. I know that I can manage it if I connect to my AP and then go on http://tplinkeap.net but I'd like to do it from the controller. Is it possible ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 395

Replies: 3

Related Articles