Multiple EAPs as standalone under 1 SSID

2023-10-25 14:28:37
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello

Hope someone can help in what I thought was an easy query, but on all forums and configurations I cannot find answer for multiple EAPs, in standalone, without hardwar controller, under 1 SSID...

I tried to set up 2 (hopefully adding a 3rd) EAP, as standalones, under 1 SSID. Each on a diff floor in one house.

Each EAP is connected directly (hardwired in the house) via RJ45 to a router, independently (each with it's own PoE). The router connected then to the I/Net provider, as normal.

I set up each EAP with the same SSID name, to allow for roaming between each floor without needing to change on my phone/device. The floors are quite far apart, so I expect little interference.

I am just not sure, given I set them both up with the same SSID, that my phone or other device(s) will pick up the best or strongest EAP and clearly I cannot check this (even having downloaded the Omada App). I do see them both in the App, with diff IP's (So DHCP is all fine).

If I add a 3rd EAP, (so yes, 3 floor house in case not obvious) and call it same SSID, am I doing this right?

Also they are currently set to Auto channel, and I see confusing advice on whether I need to select a diff channel for each. Theyt both operate on either 2.4 or 5 GHz

Apologies, if this is too basic a q's in this forum but really appreciate someone's clear advice

THanks!

Options
14 Reply
Re:Multiple EAPs as standalone under 1 SSID
2023-10-25 16:12:32

@Docco 

If you are going standalone, then your approach is reasonable.  Set your 3 APs to Ch1,6,11 on the 2.4G band, you can leave 5Ghz on auto.  Without a controller you can't benefit from things like fast roaming if supported by your AP so you may experience some packet loss when roaming, but should be minimal.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-10-26 13:37:14

@d0ugmac1 

Many thanks for your help Doug. I have downloaded the Omada controller software and the App, but only the latter recognises the EAPs and then allows me only normal settings.

I will adapt the channels as you suggest, but really keen to understand how to better benefit from the streamlined and open roaming? If I get a Omada OC200 controller, say, will this allow me to actually impact the roaming facility, or just facilitate the set ups (which I seem to do easily on either tplinkeap.net or via the App?

FInally, if you or anyone else can share how I can tell if my mobile or device is picking up the strongest signal of the 2 (or soon to be 3) EAPs, given the same name appears (without a manual off/on manipulation)?

Thanks for the all sharing

Options
2023-10-27 12:08:43

@Docco 

You need to adopt the APs into the controller before it can do its magic.  Upgrade them to latest firmware and then factory default them.  If they are connected to the same switch (or modem/router) as the controller...then the controller should 'see' them and offer to Adopt them.  From there you configure the rest of your wireless settings, and apply them across your 2 or 3 APs.

Here's a similar thread from another forum member:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/257016

Options
2023-10-27 20:24:44

@Docco 

Hey

Many thanks for your help Doug. I have downloaded the Omada controller software and the App, but only the latter recognises the EAPs and then allows me only normal settings.

I will adapt the channels as you suggest, but really keen to understand how to better benefit from the streamlined and open roaming? If I get a Omada OC200 controller, say, will this allow me to actually impact the roaming facility, or just facilitate the set ups (which I seem to do easily on either tplinkeap.net or via the App?

The OC200 is a controller so basically it will allow you to manage all parts of the WiFi setup and also act as a manager for the network in terms of roaming.  For devices to successfully roam from AP1 to AP2 etc, you need a central controller to analyse and handle the handover, thats one of the jobs of the OC200 and provided you enable FAST ROAMING it will do it for you.

The app is grand for setup, but limited.  FAR more is config is accessable via the OC200 GUI

FInally, if you or anyone else can share how I can tell if my mobile or device is picking up the strongest signal of the 2 (or soon to be 3) EAPs, given the same name appears (without a manual off/on manipulation)?

In standalone as there is no controller, each AP will just do its own thing.  That is the reason you see 3 copies of the same SSID, basically its working as 3x seperate APs and NOT one "network".     A controller would fix that for you to just see 1 ssid.

In terms of client roaming (moving AP to AP without a controller).  Its really best effort if honest!   The client will scan for an SSID it knows and just pick the first one to respond, this may be the furtherest ironically..  it will then hold on to that connection until it dies, at which time it will then drop connect and re-scan for a new known SSID and restart the process.   In standalone mode the client has no way of knowing that the 3x SSIDs you have named the same are linked in any way, its just sees the "same name" therefore wont leave one AP to move to another until its current AP is totally dead.  

This is due to the ssid name actually meaning nothing, its just a name and cant be trusted in any way.  I could change my router to your WiFi name and take your clients if that was the case, therefore unless told so by a controller the clients sticks to the AP its linked to at that time as its knows that AP is safe.   Its only when it loses that connection it wil go looking for a replacement

Options
2023-10-30 15:20:22

@Philbert 

Many thanks for the inputs folks. I realy appreciate this.

I have done my research on adding the OC200 (or equiv)  as a controller, but apart from monitoring and reporting, easier set up etc, I cannot see how this will enable my 3 EAPs (now added a 3rd on the top floor) to act as one network more than having them all under 1 SSID?

I am ok to spend another 100$ to really see an impact, so perhaps I am missing something on what the OC200 will bring (yes I see you can enable fast roaming as an option in the setup) in easying the access between the 3 EAPs (overkill for a home set up, if my ask?)...so appreciate your help here?

I have set the channels of each EAP to another #. I cannot really tell a difference but my mobile or anyone else's device in the house works all ok, just difficult to see if this is optimised (I have done speed checks and clearly it does seem at times a device stays on another EAP further away, even if right in front of another - unless one switches wifi on/off, which defeats the point)...

Thanks for your and anyone's else help, I am impressed by how people support each other...

Options
2023-10-30 16:33:54

@Docco Basically because the controller give you an 'Enterprise' network (via 802.11k/r/v) instead of 3 dumb consumer APs.

support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202628

Options
2023-10-30 17:22:11

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks for the reply. I feel the recommendation is to buy an Omada controller, like OC200 then.

is there a link someone could share on how to set this up then, as I will go ahead and buy one, to make the 3 EAPs into one network?

All my EAPs are hardwired through the house, to the switch, connected to the router/internet. I presume the OC200 needs to be connected directly between the router and the switch or just connect to one of the switch outputs? I would then need to reset all the EAPs (as I have already done that via Tplink.net) so that they can be adopted then?

is there a simple configuration someone can pls suggest, to simply manage these 3 EAPs under one SSID in my house (each on a diff floor) to allow for fast and streamlined roaming ?

Once again, many thanks in advance

Options
2023-10-30 17:33:02

@Docco 

The OC200 is a single port device, not a router, so it can be attached to any spare port on your switch as it just needs a 'T' connection to your local LAN.

You can set up the controller while your existing network continues to run.  When you are ready to 'cut over' you can reset your APs and then adopt them to the controller, or you can manually adopt them one by one into the controller using your existing Admin login credentials.

Since you aren't using Omada-aware routers or switches, you really just need to configure your LAN subnet appropriately (to match what your 3rd party router is doing), then define your desired Wireless network and apply the 'Fast Roaming' features.

Some reading/learning is required here.  There are good FAQs on tplink.com

Options
2023-10-30 23:23:21

@d0ugmac1 

Doug has pretty much nailed it.  There isn't much to setup if honest, power it on and connect to the lan, then navigate to its IP address and run the wizard.

Just ignore the hardware adoption during the wizard and get it running. Setup your WiFi as you feel and enable advanced setting / fast roaming and band steering

Once done, reset and adopt your APs

As you quickly mentioned earlier, clients if left to roam themselves simply won't do it.  They don't assume that ap1 and ap2 with the same SSID are one network, instead just pick the first to reply and then stick to it until death.   Only a controller can advise the client that AP 1 2 3 etc are linked and handle the signal moving between them... in fact they appear as one SSID rather than 3x copies.  

With roaming comes load balancing too, if one AP is busy it may move you to a further away but idle AP as the overall exprwill improve 

Honestly..  multiple APs buy a controller, you won't go back.. it just works

Options
2023-11-03 10:05:08

@Docco 

Many thanks guys. I have bought a controller with the last EAP. I will look at links to set up as you folks suggest, and hopefully it is as easy as you suggest. My one outstanding question as to how to connect this controller within the set up I have, I presume will be answered once I look into it. Otherwise, I may come back for some help. In any case, will let you know how it goes, so others may hopefully learn from this too.

Again, much appreciated...

Options