Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC

2023-12-15 13:13:09 - last edited 2023-12-18 02:36:46

Hi, I am in the UK and have a 100mb FTTP with a company called Gigaclear. They provide a Genexis HRG1000 as a NTE/CPE.

I have a lot of smart home devices in my home including my heating system, Amazon Echos, WiFi and Zigbee smart switches and CCTV cameras. I also have 3 x TP-Link EAP245, an EAP225 and an external EAP225 providing my WiFi Mesh network which works great and is rock solid. Most important items like EAP's, my server and the CCTV cameras all have fixed IP addresses which are reserved in the DHCP scope. The router functionality is very basic but does what I need in my home.

However over the last year or so the LAN DHCP server has become very flaky. The problem arises when we get a power outage even for a short period (which we seem to get a lot)!  On restoration of power the router can take 30mins to an hour before all devices receive an IP address from the DHCP server. Sometimes I have to use a laptop with a fixed IP to access the router and "Save" the DHCP scope. This appears to kick the router into assigning IP addresses.

I have complained to my ISP and asked for a replacement Genexis HRG1000 but they say they don't have any stock as they no longer supply them. Their answer is to put the NTE into bridge mode and use a Linksys Velop Mesh WIFI/router which they will send me. I have said no to this for two reasons:-

1) I have a working and stable mesh WiFi with my EAP devices and don't want to introduce another make

2) To have a second router behind the NTE means yet another device which is always on and consuming power.

The ISP are instant this is the only solution or they will charge me for an engineer visit and the cost of a replacement NTE/CPE made by DKT Comega.

I have therefor decided to look for alternative routers and came across the ER7212PC which is a router, POE Hub and an OMADA controller all in one. By relocating the position of the router I could replace a 5 port POE switch for my EAP's, a 4 port Gigabit hub and have a hardware Omada controller so would replace two existing powered devices with one making a power saving.

My questions are:-

1) If I purchase a ER7212PC can I set this up behind the existing router in order to configure it before the ISP put my existing NTE into bridge mode? I appreciate it will be double NAT but its only until I can set up static IP's DHCP scope on the lan etc.

2) Do I have to use a VLan for my existing wired LAN or is this the only way to configure the wired network

3) I believe the first start up configuration wizard sets up the Omada controller first. There is an option to import a configuration from another controller. I am using V3,2,7 Omada software on a windows 10 PC. Am I able to export the configuration from this software and import into the ER7212PC?

4) are there any good tutorials for setting this router up in a small office environment which is the closet usage scenario to my home environment

I appreciate this router is possibly overkill for my needs but it ticks lots of boxes. Any advice would be gratefully received

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC-Solution
2023-12-15 16:00:11 - last edited 2023-12-18 02:36:46

@Fozzie Bear 

You can set up the 7212 independently, just power it up and connect your laptop to a LAN port.  You'll get an IP and be able to access the controller setup.  Be aware that the 7212 is not as functional as say an ER605+SG2008P+OC200 because the 'integral POE' switch isn't a 'switch' by Omada definition and you lose the ability to do switch ACLs.  You can fix this by adding say an SG2008P between the 7212 and your existing devices.  Be warned.

The default network for the Omada router is VLAN1 untagged, so it will be like it's not there at all.  You can later create subnets with different VLAN tags for isolation, but it is not a requirement.

As for importing configs, I am pretty sure 3.x is not compatible with 5.x.  If your site config isn't that complicated, I would just replicate it manually during setup of the 7212.  Otherwise, you will need to move your config from 3.x to 4.x and probably 5.x.  Then you will still need to setup the 7212 controller as a new controller, but you should be able to migrate your old 'site' from your software controller 5.x to the new controller.

Sounds like your current setup is working fine, I wouldn't change it.  Just be aware of the caution in the first paragraph above.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC-Solution
2023-12-15 16:00:11 - last edited 2023-12-18 02:36:46

@Fozzie Bear 

You can set up the 7212 independently, just power it up and connect your laptop to a LAN port.  You'll get an IP and be able to access the controller setup.  Be aware that the 7212 is not as functional as say an ER605+SG2008P+OC200 because the 'integral POE' switch isn't a 'switch' by Omada definition and you lose the ability to do switch ACLs.  You can fix this by adding say an SG2008P between the 7212 and your existing devices.  Be warned.

The default network for the Omada router is VLAN1 untagged, so it will be like it's not there at all.  You can later create subnets with different VLAN tags for isolation, but it is not a requirement.

As for importing configs, I am pretty sure 3.x is not compatible with 5.x.  If your site config isn't that complicated, I would just replicate it manually during setup of the 7212.  Otherwise, you will need to move your config from 3.x to 4.x and probably 5.x.  Then you will still need to setup the 7212 controller as a new controller, but you should be able to migrate your old 'site' from your software controller 5.x to the new controller.

Sounds like your current setup is working fine, I wouldn't change it.  Just be aware of the caution in the first paragraph above.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC
2023-12-15 16:34:54

Fozzie Bear wrote

1) If I purchase a ER7212PC can I set this up behind the existing router in order to configure it before the ISP put my existing NTE into bridge mode? I appreciate it will be double NAT but its only until I can set up static IP's DHCP scope on the lan etc.

@Fozzie Bear 

Providing you set the WAN to DHCP and the LAN subnet on the ER7212 different to the Gigaclear LAN subnet then it should work (albeit with double NAT as you say!)

AIUI Gigaclear also use DHCP for the WAN connection, so when the ISP switches the Gigaclear NTE to bridge mode , your configuration should still work, the only difference being that the ER7212 will now get the public IP on its WAN.

Options
2023-12-15 16:43:37

@d0ugmac1 Many thanks for you comprehensive reply.

I dont have any complicated requirements so will initially set up as default. However I currently have three SSID's. A default for family use, a guest network and an IOT network for all my smart devices. At some point as you suggest I might try adding some isolation between the three. I have fired up my Omada software and found how to export the config so able to try importing at setup but as you say might be better starting from scratch.

I am sure I will be back with other questions once I have the device and started playing.

Many thanks again for your reply

Options
2023-12-15 16:53:17

@MisterW Many thanks thats helpful. It will give me an opportunity to get everything set up before I commit to the changover. As I have said to D0ugmac1 I am sure I will be back to ask further advice once I have purchased it and read through the setup manual.

Thanks for responding

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 524

Replies: 4

Related Articles