EAP 610 Outdoor Performance

2023-12-25 17:39:30
Model: EAP610-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hello,

I am dealt with WIFI in a while, I am helping a friend set up APs for a small resort in Bora Bora.  The guest bungalows WIFI was previously handled by an older Ubiquity Loco M2 which performed pretty well to cover the entire guest area.  The AP recently burnt, having worked with TPLink in the past, I decided to order a new EAP 610 Outdoor and reposition somewhere more central since it appears it is more multi directional than the Loco M2.

Before ordering I used the Network heat map planning tool available on the TP Link web site.  I installed the AP a few days ago and I am surprised to see it is not "performing" better coverage wise, certainly not to the level that was indicated on the planning tool.  I am far from and DB output and coverage distance I was hoping for, I am attaching a WIFI heat map showing the gain and coverage, I did not save the one from the planning tool but it was much better than this.  

I believe I have it configured properly, using the 20mgz band and output to the max.  Wondering if I missed something?  Would the EAP 650 Outdoor perform better? Looks like the 650 would have the same performance according to its specs.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Below DB gain next to the antenna / AP - The Ap is mounted vertical about 10' high

Coverage area

Options
8 Reply
Re:EAP 610 Outdoor Performance
2023-12-26 06:14:12

@OAOA-bora1 

The recommended WiFi coverage radius of 150 meters for outdoor EAP is measured under ideal conditions. In general, it will be affected by obstacles, weather temperature, ethernet cable quality, and other factors. Learn more from this post: Essence Posts Summary (Newbie Must-See)

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-26 06:29:26

@Virgo Thank you for sharing the other post, I certainly will read it.  However, while I understand there are factors affecting the propagation; it seems the output DB being very near the antenna / AP should be better?  The simulator shows a much higher output DB right at the antenna which I don't have?

Options
2023-12-26 17:57:12

@OAOA-bora1 

Max power is max power for a given geographic regulated zone, so the output dB should be the same (unless say you were using US ubiquiti devices and are now using say EU TPlinks...because those locals have different channel and max power settings which are regulated.

Simulators are always optimistic...otherwise the marketing guys shoot the engineers and find new ones willing to be more optimistic.

Are those APs meshed, or are they all wired?  If some are wirelessly meshed, which ones are the root nodes?

In general I have found the 600 series outdoor APs to be less 'omni' than the 200 series which have external dipoles rather than PCB antennae.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-26 18:35:59

@d0ugmac1 Good point about EU vs US - My understanding and perhaps I am wrong is that US equiment is more "powerful" because of the frequencies?  

So far I have only one EAP 610 Outdoor, wired to a router with approximately 150' of cable - The EAP was purchase in Europe, I know Ubiquity let's you choose your country at set up time and was told to use US for optimal performance.

Would then be a difference for the EAP 610? A lesser performance because it is a EU model?  And if that is the case, could I use a US firmware?  

I plan on extending the range / coverage on the property by adding 3 EAP 225 connecting wirelessy to the EAP 610 and also add a Controller OC200 which I understand can be connected to my existing router.  

We are located in French Polynesia, acquiring equipment is not simple!  

Current set up heat map below:

Options
2023-12-26 19:30:13

@OAOA-bora1 

The EU is probably the most restrictive.  Would suggest APs for either US or Australia if an option as it has more high power channels at the top end of both 2.4 (ie 12 and 13) and 5.8 bands (ie 166 through 176).

Have a looksee here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels. Anything with indoors/DFS/TPC/SRD is restrictive on performance.  Pay particular attention to the 'notes' ie note5 vs note6 in the 5Ghz table (ie reduced power).

Also, it goes without saying that you'd get more concentrated power in a less omni antenna design...so don't expect equivalance between the old Ubi stuff and the newer TPlink...for sure you're going to lose a few dB there plus whatever the EU regs say about the particular channel you are operating in.

Options
2023-12-26 22:06:55
Thank you! I am wondering if there is then a way to update the firmware or the EAP to a US version?
Options
2023-12-26 23:44:19

@OAOA-bora1 you can try, often it will refuse to do that directly, and it WILL void your warranty.

You may need to try a recovery method to force the issue.

Can you find a global retailer like fleabay or bezos inc that will ship US units?

Options
2023-12-28 02:39:58

@d0ugmac1 - So I checked and downloaded both the EU and US latest firmware, although I have not tried to do an update with the US version - Both firmware files appear to be indentical in size and date.  I will give it a go and see how it goes, I do not care so much about warranty as internation shipping would cost us as much as getting a new one.  Looking into US resellers for the next batch of equipment.

Options