Deco home network setup

Deco home network setup
Deco home network setup
2024-01-29 10:24:56 - last edited 2024-01-30 03:47:32
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

Im looking to set up a home mesh network. I am new to the networking game and just wanted to know if this set up would work:

-> Internet -> Router ( TP-Link Archer AX72 ) -> PoE Switch -> TP-Link Deco X60 -> Second TP-Link Deco Device

I will be hard wiring all connections.

Do the Deco devices need to be daisy chained or can they all go back to the PoE switch?

I still want to have a wired LAN connection for devices like PC and gaming consols/tv however would like a mesh Wi-Fi network for phones and IoT etc.

Any help would greatly be appreciated and thanks in advance!

PS: Any recommendations on devices would also be appreciated to achieve above scenario. ( I mainly prefer ceiling mounted WAP )

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco home network setup-Solution
2024-01-29 12:48:45 - last edited 2024-01-30 03:47:32

@daleautech 

If switch supports Deco Ethernet backhaul protocol, you can connect them directly to the switch. More on that topic is here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

For that to work, you will also need to configure Deco mesh run in Access Point mode, by default it runs in Router mode. This is how you make that configuration change: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, you can hard wire Deco nodes to any available Ethernet port on your network: switch, each other, and that also includes TP-Link Archer AX72 Ethernet ports.

You can for example hard wire all of them the following way:

I suggest you choose Deco X50-POE for your Deco mesh. This Deco model is designed to be ceiling and wall mounted. It is also POE, which may let you utilize POE capabilities of your switch.

Note that Deco mesh runs its own WiFi network independent of TP-Link Archer AX72. It is recommended to turn off WiFi on router and let Deco mesh provide WiFi coverage at your place. 

If you find that WiFi coverage near router is not up to your needs, get one more Deco unit and hard wire it to TP-Link Archer AX72 with short Ethernet cable. That unit can also be Deco X50-POE, but if you don't need wall/celining mounting it you can also choose from Deco X50 and Deco X55.

Also, I think Deco X50/X55 may not be sold in single units. Deco X50-POE are. Which means, if you need just one Deco ceiling mounted but three Deco in total, you could get 2-unit set of X50/X55 and single X50-POE.

An additional benefit of X50/X55 over X60 is X50 and X55 have three Ethernet ports, while X60 - just two.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco home network setup-Solution
2024-01-29 12:48:45 - last edited 2024-01-30 03:47:32

@daleautech 

If switch supports Deco Ethernet backhaul protocol, you can connect them directly to the switch. More on that topic is here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

For that to work, you will also need to configure Deco mesh run in Access Point mode, by default it runs in Router mode. This is how you make that configuration change: Switching a Deco to Access Point (AP) Mode

With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, you can hard wire Deco nodes to any available Ethernet port on your network: switch, each other, and that also includes TP-Link Archer AX72 Ethernet ports.

You can for example hard wire all of them the following way:

I suggest you choose Deco X50-POE for your Deco mesh. This Deco model is designed to be ceiling and wall mounted. It is also POE, which may let you utilize POE capabilities of your switch.

Note that Deco mesh runs its own WiFi network independent of TP-Link Archer AX72. It is recommended to turn off WiFi on router and let Deco mesh provide WiFi coverage at your place. 

If you find that WiFi coverage near router is not up to your needs, get one more Deco unit and hard wire it to TP-Link Archer AX72 with short Ethernet cable. That unit can also be Deco X50-POE, but if you don't need wall/celining mounting it you can also choose from Deco X50 and Deco X55.

Also, I think Deco X50/X55 may not be sold in single units. Deco X50-POE are. Which means, if you need just one Deco ceiling mounted but three Deco in total, you could get 2-unit set of X50/X55 and single X50-POE.

An additional benefit of X50/X55 over X60 is X50 and X55 have three Ethernet ports, while X60 - just two.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 307

Replies: 1

Related Articles