Model: ER605 (TL-R605) Maximum DHCP Scope? 6,000 leases required

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-07 08:49:36
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Latest

I need 6,000 devices to get a lease, spread over multiple /24 VLAN's
I see a previous thread in these forums that the max no of DHCP reservations is 1024 for this device. Is that accurate? Why does it allow me to define as many scopes as I want - which would technically exceed 1024, without complaint?
And if it really is limited to 1024 then I need to turn my attention to setting up a relay through to a Windows Server which is another can of worms, I see from various threads. 
As an aside when you adopt the router into your Omada world you lose the "L3 features" setup for DHCP Relay. Seems you need to do it from the switches?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Model: ER605 (TL-R605) Maximum DHCP Scope? 6,000 leases required
2024-02-07 18:38:49

@MoonWalkers 

so you want 6000 ip on an ER605, good luck with that, i don't think this router is built for that. but for fun I did a test on a single vlan with 65534 ip but it may be that there is a limitation on the vlan, I don't know.

Options
2024-02-08 02:08:02

@MoonWalkers

You should really ask the support team about this.

I know that this model is entry-level one. Max DHCP is 1024.

Of course it doesn't complain if you set the subnet. No routers would complain the subnet if you set it to a smaller value to get more ips.

But do bear the fact that it's not capable of more than 60-70 devices which is something I learned from the support team.

6k devices , you'd better get huawei or cisco. Not a 50 buck entry level model to save money.

Or get a powerful sever from dell. As I don't see any reason why you shorting the budget on this.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-13 14:22:12

@MoonWalkers gents thanks for your replies. Actually these are very low-bandwidth telemetry devices - the entire 6,000 devices would not exceed a combined total 5Mbps throughput at peak, if they all decided to chatter at the same time. In any case I went and bought the only other model available, ER7206 hoping that maybe gives me more leases.

Our management network SonicWall only allows 4096 leases - and will not allow you to create anything more than that (combined total of all networks on the device cannot exceed 4096). But the TP-Link seems to not care what size scope you create - I will test and see what they support in real terms and revert for the record

Options
2024-02-17 02:49:59

Hi @MoonWalkers 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MoonWalkers wrote

@MoonWalkers gents thanks for your replies. Actually these are very low-bandwidth telemetry devices - the entire 6,000 devices would not exceed a combined total 5Mbps throughput at peak, if they all decided to chatter at the same time. In any case I went and bought the only other model available, ER7206 hoping that maybe gives me more leases.

Our management network SonicWall only allows 4096 leases - and will not allow you to create anything more than that (combined total of all networks on the device cannot exceed 4096). But the TP-Link seems to not care what size scope you create - I will test and see what they support in real terms and revert for the record

The best model we have now, ER8411, would only allow 4096 DHCP entries. Which is the same as your current model.

I think you might need a server instead of a router. Get a server like Dell or other types and set up the DHCP or other services on it. Or get a powerful L3 switch and see if the 6,000 DHCP entries can be balanced, which is an idea that comes to my mind.

For the router, the entry does not matter but the sessions. Even if it is a low bandwidth, you still should count the concurrent sessions.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-17 05:01:07 - last edited 2024-02-17 05:03:59

@Clive_A  Thank you for your reply. The ER8411 is not available anywhere in stock.

The ER7206 is working fine so far with a Windows Server doing the DHCP for 1,000 test devices. But I am curious and asking for clarification - are you saying the ER7206 will only allow 4096 sessions to pass through it - irrespective of DHCP. For example if I connect 6,000 devices wit static IP - only 4096 would work?

Options
2024-02-18 06:33:36

Hi @MoonWalkers

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MoonWalkers wrote

@Clive_A  Thank you for your reply. The ER8411 is not available anywhere in stock.

The ER7206 is working fine so far with a Windows Server doing the DHCP for 1,000 test devices. But I am curious and asking for clarification - are you saying the ER7206 will only allow 4096 sessions to pass through it - irrespective of DHCP. For example if I connect 6,000 devices wit static IP - only 4096 would work?

I don't think I ever mentioned that it is 4096 sessions. Sessions are not the same as the IP address. Session limit can be found on the specs page of the model.

4096 devices with static and DHCP or solely static may not work because we did not test. The limit for DHCP is 4096 which is affirmative.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-02-18 08:06:16

@Clive_A  Thank you for reply. I checked the specificcations and cannot find any details regarding session-limits.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 699

Replies: 7

Related Articles