DNS failures when there are 2 wan

DNS failures when there are 2 wan

14 Reply
Re:DNS failures when there are 2 wan
2024-05-06 14:26:50

@Clive_A Exactly. This only happens with the DNS that are configured in the wan or those assigned to you by your provider. Said dns that is in the configuration of wan1, example: 8.8.8.8, this dns will not respond from the other wan2 in the event that wan1 is not available. It is like the DNS that is configured is blocked so that it only works with said wan but if wan 2 has 1.1.1.1 it will work correctly and you will be able to navigate correctly. The bakckup link works well, the problem lies in the DNS that is configured on the wan. My solution was to put a DNS that does not use my local network and that is enough  

Options
2024-05-07 07:05:16

Hi @Josvell 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Josvell wrote

@Clive_A Exactly. This only happens with the DNS that are configured in the wan or those assigned to you by your provider. Said dns that is in the configuration of wan1, example: 8.8.8.8, this dns will not respond from the other wan2 in the event that wan1 is not available. It is like the DNS that is configured is blocked so that it only works with said wan but if wan 2 has 1.1.1.1 it will work correctly and you will be able to navigate correctly. The bakckup link works well, the problem lies in the DNS that is configured on the wan. My solution was to put a DNS that does not use my local network and that is enough  

If I understand you right, you mean when the WAN1 fails over to WAN2, and WAN1 is using 8.8.8.8. After the failover and link backup, you switch to WAN2 which also uses 8.8.8.8, yet the 8.8.8.8 does not work anymore to resolve the DNS query. It seems to be disabled along with the load balancing and failover and the system thinks 8.8.8.8 is unusable.
Do I understand you correctly?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-07 13:53:34 - last edited 2024-05-07 17:14:17

@Clive_A  Yes, exactly. If wan 1 has 8.8.8 8 and wan 2 has 1.1.1.1 in its configuration. If wan 1 stops having connectivity (internet) so will dns 8.8.8.8. If I maintain an infinite ping to youtube.com and another ping to 8.8.8.8 and cause the failure, both pings stop responding but after 15 seconds the ping from youtube.com responds again but 8.8.8.8 does not respond again and at the same time time Doing a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 shows how it tries to go through wan 1 even though the er605 knows it is down. NOTE: This happens when you cause it to have no connectivity (internet). Because if you cause the failure by physically disconnecting WAN 1, this failure never occurs. I apologize if there are any translation errors.  

Options
Re:DNS failures when there are 2 wan -Solution
2024-05-17 02:55:55 - last edited 2024-06-03 07:37:09

Hi @Josvell 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Josvell wrote

@Clive_A  Yes, exactly. If wan 1 has 8.8.8 8 and wan 2 has 1.1.1.1 in its configuration. If wan 1 stops having connectivity (internet) so will dns 8.8.8.8. If I maintain an infinite ping to youtube.com and another ping to 8.8.8.8 and cause the failure, both pings stop responding but after 15 seconds the ping from youtube.com responds again but 8.8.8.8 does not respond again and at the same time time Doing a traceroute to 8.8.8.8 shows how it tries to go through wan 1 even though the er605 knows it is down. NOTE: This happens when you cause it to have no connectivity (internet). Because if you cause the failure by physically disconnecting WAN 1, this failure never occurs. I apologize if there are any translation errors.  

Confirmed that this is a known issue. Dev is aware of this issue and will optimize this in future firmware updates.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Related Articles