DHCP server ignores DHCP reservations

DHCP server ignores DHCP reservations

17 Reply
Re:DHCP server ignores DHCP reservations
2024-02-10 07:49:52 - last edited 2024-02-10 07:50:38

My understanding of that is, when you configure your LAN, you should provide a DHCP range that is smaller than your network. Then make an IP reservation for IP addresses from outside of your DHCP range.

Otherwise the DHCP will overlap with your static assigment.

There seems to be confusion here between a 'static' IP and a 'reserved' IP.

A static IP is where the IP is configured directly on the device and in that case, yes, it must be outside the DHCP range , to avoid the router giving out the same IP to another device from its DHCP pool.

A reserved IP is where the router assigns the IP via DHCP but always assigns that IP to the device. Obviously, in this case the IP must be inside the DHCP range since it is being assigned by DHCP!

Hope that helps

Options
2024-02-11 12:25:50

@gerba @_who_ 

Is it fixed? Interested in your reply.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-02-12 11:02:29

@Tedd404 

Yes, I have worked out that I hadn't assigned the VLAN to any particular port. Total noob moment of realisation, since I had even planned out which ports would be which VLAN, and I had just had an oversight when configuring the networks!

FWIW, DHCP reservations do work if the IP is assigned outside the DHCP range. For example, I have 2 dumb switches in the mix, and I set each to have an IP of .3 and .4 on the subnet, with the DHCP range set to .20 - .255, and this was successful.

Appreciate the help 👍

Options
2024-02-12 14:51:34 - last edited 2024-02-12 15:58:00

Hello!

Thanks to everybody constructively contributing to this thread.

For putting focus back to the initial topic I'd like to repeat and clear up, what I already had written.

Please have a look at my network configuration (see attached screenshot).
All configured DHCP reservations are IP addresses with the last part being lower than 201 (start of the DHCP range) and larger than 1 (address of router).
End of lease time has no effect on the assigned IP addresses - the previous assigned IP address is being kept.

The problem is:
When the router assigns the IP address, it ignores the DHCP reservation and assigns the client device any IP address from the configured DHCP range instead.
This happens on client device reconnect - either after restart of the client device, or after reboot of the router.
So, the problem is not solved by rebooting the router, nor by rebooting the client device - it is the direct opposite.

As I found out in this article, this behavior should have been resolved since controller version 5.0.29:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3200/

With "client device" I mean any device connected to the ER7212PC router - end devices as well as EAPs (EAP650-Outdoor, EAP650-Wall, EAP655-Wall), connected via ethernet cable as well as via Wifi (provided by the EAPs).

The only way to assign the reserved (not static!) IP address to the configured client device using the Omada controller web interface is:
- Click on the client.

- Click on 'Config'.

- 'Use Fixed IP Address' is already active, 'IP Address' is correct as already configured in the DHCP reservations.

- Click on 'Apply'.

> After a while the router assigns the right - I mean reserved - IP address to the client device.

So, after all:
How can I "motivate" the ER7212PC to assign the reserved IP addresses to the client devices as configured in the DHCP reservations, when a client device is being (re-)connected?

Thank you very much for any useful hint.

Kind regards,
Gerald

File:
Network.pngDownload
Options
2024-02-12 16:20:38

@gerba I'm experiencing the same issue with a TL-SX3206HPP switch running under an OC300 controller and ER8411 router.  In this instance, there isn't a config setting for the switch to set a fixed IP address; the only way that I see that a 'static' or fixed IP address can be set is to use a DHCP Reservation.  But, even after setting the reservation for an IP address outside of the DHCP pool and rebooting the switch, router, controller, and finally, sacrificing a chicken,...etc, the switch is still being assigned an IP address within the DHCP pool.  As previously mentioned, this is a bug that had been previously fixed but looks to have been reintroduced.

Options
2024-02-18 01:17:18

Hi @Lee21 

Lee21 wrote

@gerba I'm experiencing the same issue with a TL-SX3206HPP switch running under an OC300 controller and ER8411 router.  In this instance, there isn't a config setting for the switch to set a fixed IP address; the only way that I see that a 'static' or fixed IP address can be set is to use a DHCP Reservation.  But, even after setting the reservation for an IP address outside of the DHCP pool and rebooting the switch, router, controller, and finally, sacrificing a chicken,...etc, the switch is still being assigned an IP address within the DHCP pool.  As previously mentioned, this is a bug that had been previously fixed but looks to have been reintroduced.

So, let's narrow down which one could be the cause.

Try a computer and set it with a fixed IP address. Will it work okay? If you say it does not work, let me know what steps you take to verify.

If there is no issue with the PC, move on to the next test, remove all the "fixed IP" in the client and DHCP reservation entry, and delete them all. Reboot your switch to let it get a new IP. See if you have a new IP address or not. Then set up either the fixed IP or DHCP reservation, and reboot the switch. Use the IP shown on the Device page to log in to the switch and see if you can access the page.

If you are accessing nothing, the page is not accessible, you probably should try the reserved IP address. If you can access it, then it is just a visual issue with the sync. Should be fine after the resync between the switch and the controller.

OC syncing is not instant or millisecond/second degree.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-02-29 08:37:34 - last edited 2024-02-29 08:38:11

Update:
The TP-Link Technical Support due to a correlation issue with 'IPSec Failover' recommended to reset the ER7212PC and "reconfig the ... network settings in the initial state, but do not enable IPSec Failover, not even click on it."

I followed that advice and now even after rebooting the ER7212PC the reserved addresses are assigned and kept properly.

I just noticed, that after applying a new DHCP reservation, the device does not get the reserved address, until it reconnects, although the DHCP lease time is set to 15 min.
Why?

Kind regards,
Gerald

Options
Related Articles