Some devices on 2.4GHz drop off the network after a period of time, fix is to switch channels?

Some devices on 2.4GHz drop off the network after a period of time, fix is to switch channels?

2024-02-24 00:54:54
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

Since I upgraded to 802.11ax APs (EAP653), I noticed that some of my 2.4GHz devices drop off the network. It's always the same devices, and they all drop off at the same time (ecobee thermostats & Eufy doorbell). Restarting the AP or the devices does not fix the issue, only manually switching channels does.

It's the first time I encounter something bizarre like this. I tried all settings including dropping ac from the 2.4GHz band, switching band steering off etc.

Has anybody encountered something like this before? I don't see anything in the logs...

Thanks

Options
10 Reply
Re:Some devices on 2.4GHz drop off the network after a period of time, fix is to switch channels?
2024-02-26 02:57:48

Hi @physh,

The PMF feature was supported since Omada Controller v5.7, which requires to upgrade the EAP device firmware to take effect. The previous firmware you used is not adapted to controller 5.7, that is, the previous firmware doesn't support the PMF feature, thus the PMF configuration with "Mandatory" won't affect the connection of non-PMF-capable clients.

While the EAP653 new firmware is adapted to controller 5.9, which supports the PMF feature. It seems that your IoT client is non-PMF-capable, so changing PMF from "Mandatory" to "Capable" can fix the issue. If your IoT still has connection issue with the "Capable" option, you may disable PMF for the IoT network.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Some devices on 2.4GHz drop off the network after a period of time, fix is to switch channels?
2024-02-26 04:07:33 - last edited 2024-02-27 01:05:29

@Hank21 thanks for your response. My PMF settings are already set to 'Capable', and 'Disable' is grayed out. I'm pretty sure my previous APs (EAP245) didn't have the issue.

Edit: This apparently has to do with PMF and WPA3 per this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comments/rq6jtr/psa_if_your_24ghzonly_devices_cant_connect_after/
So I created a separate SSID that is 2.4GHz and WPA2-only. I'll report back if this is a permanent fix or not.

Options
2024-03-05 04:46:02

Unfortunately, this this just happened again. Despite being 2.4GHz only, and WPA2, these IoT devices all dropped out and won't reconnect.

LiftMaster garage door opener

2x Ecobee thermostats

Eufy doorbell

Options
2024-03-06 07:33:19

Hi @physh 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

physh wrote

Unfortunately, this this just happened again. Despite being 2.4GHz only, and WPA2, these IoT devices all dropped out and won't reconnect.

LiftMaster garage door opener

2x Ecobee thermostats

Eufy doorbell

What's the distance between the IoT units and the EAP? I suspect this might be a problem with the distance or transmission.

Can you move one IoT just next to the EAP and monitor if that's gonna be disconnected or not?

Besides that, do you have EAP mesh? Fast Roaming?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-03-06 17:23:47 - last edited 2024-03-06 21:54:41

I have 2 APs but only one broadcasts at 2.4GHz, the other one is 5GHz only. Distance-wise, it varies between about 5 ft to 50ft. When the disconnection happens, all devices drop regardless of distance.

No mesh, and I don't believe fast roaming matters since those are 2.4GHz only devices and only one AP broadcasts.

Also to note: the IoT devices that drop off are always the same, no other 2.4GHz device exhibits the same behavior. Could they all be using the same internal wifi chip and/or driver and have an issue with my Omada APs?

Options
2024-03-07 03:55:24

Hi @physh 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

physh wrote

I have 2 APs but only one broadcasts at 2.4GHz, the other one is 5GHz only. Distance-wise, it varies between about 5 ft to 50ft. When the disconnection happens, all devices drop regardless of distance.

No mesh, and I don't believe fast roaming matters since those are 2.4GHz only devices and only one AP broadcasts.

Also to note: the IoT devices that drop off are always the same, no other 2.4GHz device exhibits the same behavior. Could they all be using the same internal wifi chip and/or driver and have an issue with my Omada APs?

It would be hard to say if just certain IoT devices drop from 2.4GHz. I cannot rule out if there is a problem with these IoT.

e.g. you put your laptop and connect to 2.4GHz and do a ping test, to verify if it is a problem with the channel or EAP itself. If there is no drop or a single loss on the laptop while IoT disconnects, and the consistent models drop off, I think there is a problem with their antenna or firmware. I would still recommend you move it closer to the test.

Ideally, place it under the EAP and check if this ever happens, if no, that narrows down to your distance and bad antenna on the IoT.

There is nothing else we need to discuss if you narrow it down to this. I cannot say this is a firmware or an issue with the EAP yet and we cannot get the same IoT models as you have right now to reproduce this.

Unless you prove that to me, certain models, even if it is placed under the EAP, and disconnect at the same time. I think this is worth an investigation. Or you tell me that all 2.4GHz regardless of their type, even cellphone drop off at the same time and you have ruled out the power supply issue on the EAP, that's also worth an investigation.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago

I tried several other things:

Disabling IPv6 on the entire network + on my WAN, no improvement.

Creating a separate SSID, with WPA2-only authentication. This seems to be somewhat of an improvement as there were no drops over the past couple of weeks. To verify, I brought the devices back to the main WPA3 SSID and they dropped after about a week.

So I think there is some sort of issue with WPA3 resulting in what looks like a non-recoverable timeout. Unfortunately, the logs on the controller are so vague that I cannot verify this theory.

Options
3 weeks ago

physh wrote

I tried several other things:

Disabling IPv6 on the entire network + on my WAN, no improvement.

Creating a separate SSID, with WPA2-only authentication. This seems to be somewhat of an improvement as there were no drops over the past couple of weeks. To verify, I brought the devices back to the main WPA3 SSID and they dropped after about a week.

So I think there is some sort of issue with WPA3 resulting in what looks like a non-recoverable timeout. Unfortunately, the logs on the controller are so vague that I cannot verify this theory.

Hi @physh 

Thanks for update.

For the IoT devices, basically we may suggest you set the SSID in 2.4GHz with WPA2 since not all IoT devices support WPA3. When the drop issue was related to the connecting devices themselves, it is kind of hard to locate the detail reason. You may also try to test with different devices including IoT devices and other smart devices and identify whether the performance is the same. Looking forward to your further update. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2 weeks ago

@physh Do you see the same thing I see here https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/663006 where the errors go crazy?

Options
2 weeks ago

@mackworth I have not seen those graphs but I'm willing to bet they would be the same when it happens. Glad I'm not alone or crazy. Seems like a firmware or auth issue to me.

Options