TL-SG108E V6 Issues post software update.

2024-02-26 12:47:24 - last edited 2024-02-27 12:53:09
Model: TL-SG108E  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version: Build 20230218

Hi, 

Had some issues with my TL-SG108E V6 not working as intended only doing 100M vs 1000M until I reseat the Rj45, put it down to a bad termination but this didn't work, so I decided to update from TL-SG108E(UN)_V6_20201208 to  toTL-SG108E(UN)_V6_1.0.0 Build 20230218 but got an Update failed and now I can't see the switch in Smart Utility or find it's IP to go through the GUI (not 192.168.0.1) Tried to reset with button on the switch nothing seems to happen. 

I did a backup pre-update but can't get access to the update back. 

I've had the switch 2 years and I've just got 4 more so I'm a little disappointed and unsure if I'm unlucky half my network is down. 

I've come here for suggestions but not 100% sure what can help. 

I will grab a new Switch this afternoon.

The issue with 100M, I don't think is the cable due to it passing my network tester the 1-8 light style. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-SG108E V6 Issues post software update. -Solution
2024-02-27 12:53:03 - last edited 2024-02-27 12:53:09

@Clive_A Firmware upgrade failure would happen if the power/cable is disconnected during the upgrade.

That is absolutely not true, as I didn't touch then during the process. And I've seen a huge number of this same issue so it seems to be a huge TP-link issue. Put me off doing my whole home with Tapo I now have to find an alternative. 

3. About the 100M vs 1000M, I would still say it is a cable issue. Length and quality should be both considered. If you make the cable, I'd recommend you get a commercial one and test it out. Or you can run the same cable to the switch and make a loop to see if it 1000M. If not, that tells you the cable is not good.

That's a good shout I didn't think of actually, not doable in the space but an idea of the future! Also issue is I couldn't access the managed switch UI to see the speeds. 

I did manage to fix my issue with the switch following the below:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/77562

It didn't help that the reset button also didn't work 

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E V6 Issues post software update.
2024-02-27 02:32:25

Hi @Gurky 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Reset the switch and see if it can go back. If not, then it is bricked. We are not able to help you with this bricked device. There is no recovery mode for this model.

2. Firmware upgrade failure would happen if the power/cable is disconnected during the upgrade.

If I don't touch it at all, I have never encountered any firmware upgrade failure with hundreds of upgrade/downgrade tries.

3. About the 100M vs 1000M, I would still say it is a cable issue. Length and quality should be both considered. If you make the cable, I'd recommend you get a commercial one and test it out. Or you can run the same cable to the switch and make a loop to see if it 1000M. If not, that tells you the cable is not good.

If you don't believe it is the cable issue, search resolved cases and see what are the results. You can also ask or search for it in other sources.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:TL-SG108E V6 Issues post software update. -Solution
2024-02-27 12:53:03 - last edited 2024-02-27 12:53:09

@Clive_A Firmware upgrade failure would happen if the power/cable is disconnected during the upgrade.

That is absolutely not true, as I didn't touch then during the process. And I've seen a huge number of this same issue so it seems to be a huge TP-link issue. Put me off doing my whole home with Tapo I now have to find an alternative. 

That's a good shout I didn't think of actually, not doable in the space but an idea of the future! Also issue is I couldn't access the managed switch UI to see the speeds. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:TL-SG108E V6 Issues post software update.
2024-02-28 06:14:00

Hi @Gurky 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Gurky wrote

It is just two sides of a thing. You have failed or succeeded in the firmware upgrade. Either way, you would not ask if you succeeded in upgrading it.

People come to support or forum because they have an issue with it. You only see the other side. Survivorship bias.

I don't receive an increasing number of cases in easy smart models about firmware upgrade failure. I looked it up in the support system, likewise, in a month, no sign of any reports like yours.

That was a post I came across before. I am not sure if it would even be for your V6. If it works, then I guess the system does not change too much. Chipset plan should be the same as the old one or very similar.

About the cable, believe it or not, search on the forum, and you will see many resolved by changing the cables. The switch sometimes would not work well with some cables. Tedious suggestion from me or support but it works.

Reset button did not work, I recommend you contact the support and tell them on the line what you see during the process you perform a reset. You probably need to go through the RMA process.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 138

Replies: 3

Related Articles