ER707-M2 USB Modem -- information, please!

2024-05-11 18:39:51
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2 Build 20240324 Release 42799

I just acquired a new ER707-M2 and need to setup a 4G modem connected to its USB port as a backup to my wired internet connection. There is seemingly no documentation on which modems are supported for this router, or even which mode it expects the modem to be in (Direct IP or QMI/MBIM). Its compability page (https://www.tp-link.com/en/er707-m2/compatibility/) is nothing more than a placeholder.

I have a Sierra Wireless MC7700 that works flawlessly in both Windows and Linux and both in DIP and QMI modes. When connected to the ER707-M2, the router reports "Identify successfully" but then when I enter my APN information (i.e., manual configuration via the router's standalone web interface) and click "Connect" it simply pauses, displays "Saved," and then sets the configuration mode back to "Auto." No diagnostic data is provided in the log, nor any failure message in the web interface. I seemingly have no means of determining why it is failing to connect. I can't even determine if the router is using the newer MBIM protocol to communicate with the modem or legacy AT-commands-over-serial. Any information as to how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER707-M2 USB Modem -- information, please!
2024-05-13 01:23:33 - last edited 2024-05-13 01:53:26

Hi @TechnocratiK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Use this as a reference: https://www.tp-link.com/en/er605/compatibility/

The Omada system shares some similarities in some areas. For the ER707-M2, will ask the web team to update that.

Also, this looks helpful in your selection: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/666908?replyId=1357298

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-14 18:09:01

@Clive_A OK, well, I had tested the device with my modem in "stick" mode per the forum link you provided, and it wasn't working. The page you linked lists no compatibility for Canada, my location. The UI for manual configuration seems buggy, given that it always switches back into "Auto" configuration when I attempt to connect, and without any logging information, I'm not even sure it is attempting to use the APN I specify (the APN always gets set back to the last "Auto" settings chosen when I click "Connect"). Given the complete lack of support for cellular fallback in Canada per your website, I have no choice but to return the device.

Thank you for the information.

Options
2024-05-15 01:08:06

Hi @TechnocratiK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TechnocratiK wrote

@Clive_A OK, well, I had tested the device with my modem in "stick" mode per the forum link you provided, and it wasn't working. The page you linked lists no compatibility for Canada, my location. The UI for manual configuration seems buggy, given that it always switches back into "Auto" configuration when I attempt to connect, and without any logging information, I'm not even sure it is attempting to use the APN I specify (the APN always gets set back to the last "Auto" settings chosen when I click "Connect"). Given the complete lack of support for cellular fallback in Canada per your website, I have no choice but to return the device.

Thank you for the information.

That would be a pity. We support the LTE dongles that are plug-and-play without any sort of drivers. If your modem requires running some sort of .exe or being installed with a driver, that will not work with it.

We are not able to maintain a complete list of LTE modems as there are too many from way many different vendors and due to laws and regulations some LTE models may not be available in your region.

But thanks for your consideration of our product.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 196

Replies: 3

Related Articles