After Upgrading my TP-Link ER605 with latest Firmware URL Filter won't work!!!

2024-05-14 11:04:47 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:49:13
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: ER605(UN)_V2_2.2.4 Build 20240119

Hello .

After I upgrade latest firmware on TP-Link ER605 V2 now my URL Filter won't work, all setting was from Omada Controller (latest version).

Some websites was blocked , after upgrade All URL working, nothing blocked.any idea what can be problem here.

URL Filter Caption

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:After Upgrading my TP-Link ER605 with latest Firmware URL Filter won't work!!!-Solution
2024-07-11 00:49:07 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:49:13

Hi @K-ryan02 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

K-ryan02 wrote

So I have been using my Er605 v2 for about 2 years in standalone mode and configuring it directly , and the URL filtering was working perfectly. The last firmware I had that was working was 2.2.3 . 20230201. . This week I decided to switch over to the controller and the controller wiped my configurations and upgraded to 2.2.5 .the controller was 5.31 version. . After using the controller I realized that you have more granular configs in standalone mode , and well the FW and URL filtering was not functioning, and was not a NTP issue , so I reverted to using the standalone mode to get back the functionality of the FW and URL filtering , however I no longer have the use of the FW or URL filtering functions . So I am thinking that it's something with the controller or firmware messing up the software of the er605 . I have tried rolling back to previous versions as far back as 2.2.1,, and reloading corresponding configuration backup but nothing seems to work at this point . If any one finds the fix do let me know . 

You can check out this firmware and see if it resolves the problem.

ER605(UN) V2 2.2.6 20240621 Pre-Release Firmware (Released on July 3rd, 2024)

The reason is mainly that Chrome updated its settings which caused the access to be bypassed.

TLS 1.3 Kyber support is the cause. The new firmware fixed that bypass by TLS 1.3 Kyber. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:After Upgrading my TP-Link ER605 with latest Firmware URL Filter won't work!!!
2024-05-15 02:07:37

Hi @Allianztech 

1. This was explained before, please take a look at the existing guides on how to set up the web filter and what may go wrong if you cannot find its correct domain. AFAIK, some sites like Netflix or video sites may have many other CDN subdomains. Please check if you have included all of them.

2. Try to downgrade and will you restore to the old result which you claim works correctly?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:After Upgrading my TP-Link ER605 with latest Firmware URL Filter won't work!!!
2024-06-06 20:41:09

I really dont know what happened to this Router, why URL Filtering wont work, I make Factory reset on Router and fresh install of Omada Controller, anybody can fix this issue.

I am working in Omada_SDN_Controller_v5.13.30.8_Windows

@Allianztech 

Options
2024-06-06 21:31:16 - last edited 2024-06-07 00:35:17

@Clive_A 

I've experienced the same issue when I updated my firmware. I also updated the Omada Software Controller to version 5.14.20.9. URL filtering no longer works. The filter that worked perfectly before the update doesn't work at. What is the procedure for downgrading the router firmware through the Omada Software Controller?

Options
2024-06-07 00:44:44

Hi @NorCalJohn 

NorCalJohn wrote

@Clive_A 

I've experienced the same issue when I updated my firmware. I also updated the Omada Software Controller to version 5.14.20.9. URL filtering no longer works. The filter that worked perfectly before the update doesn't work at. What is the procedure for downgrading the router firmware through the Omada Software Controller?

1. For some people they keep a backup of their file of every version. And when you downgraded, you are required to import the backup of the previous version. A newer config cannot work on an older version.

SDNC, you can downgrade it to the previous version. I am not sure if there is any guide on the Controller page to show you how to downgrade. But for your Software Controller, it is not correct to replace the whole core files with another installation.

The installation will force it to install in the same path. So, you need to move the files from the default path to a different path.

For the hardware controller, you can do that by simply uploading the firmware.

If you have tried these before, you should know that. Under twhe related posts, there was no mention of the controller type.

2. There was NEVER a follow-up to both cases. And I cannot be sure that this is a problem because the posts are not followed up by the OP. Even before the V5.14 release, there were reports but never concrete descriptions. I don't think it is a problem with the router. If it is, it could be a problem with the controller.

And you probably need to reboot the router to resync config and parameters from the controller.

3. And, if you are reporting an issue, you should post what you configured and what you tried.

I don't intend to instruct every time because it is written in the Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post.

I will not reply to your posts in other threads. There is no need to keep multiple threads and @ me. That is not doing anything helpful and to me, it is spam. Just @ me in one thread and that's enough.

Options
2024-06-07 02:50:05

Hello  @Clive_A , Thank you for your reply.

And sorry for the spam. I've been trying to find the right thread.

I have downgraded my router to version 2.2.3 and then to version 2.2.2. The URL filter still doesn't work at these versions. Last week I had upgraded my router (ER605 V2), switch (TL-SG2008 v3.0), and software controller at the same time. Because of this, I can't be sure which update caused my problem. I first thought it was the software controller but then found this thread about the router. Unfortunately, I do not know which firmware version I was running before the upgrade. I'll keep trying to configure the URL filter.

Thanks Again,

-- John

Options
2024-06-08 03:52:18

Hi  @NorCalJohn

NorCalJohn wrote

Hello  @Clive_A , Thank you for your reply.

And sorry for the spam. I've been trying to find the right thread.

I have downgraded my router to version 2.2.3 and then to version 2.2.2. The URL filter still doesn't work at these versions. Last week I had upgraded my router (ER605 V2), switch (TL-SG2008 v3.0), and software controller at the same time. Because of this, I can't be sure which update caused my problem. I first thought it was the software controller but then found this thread about the router. Unfortunately, I do not know which firmware version I was running before the upgrade. I'll keep trying to configure the URL filter.

Thanks Again,

-- John

We encourage you to start a new thread if you need me to walk you through the troubleshooting and finding the solutions. Or @ me. You can paste the related links for referrence if there is a solution to that, I will surely let you know.

No worries as long as you are aware of this.

If you have downgraded it, either router or the controller, we can at least say that it is not a problem with the firmware upgrade. It might be something else causing this problem.

As for the threads you mentioned me, none of them have reported back with further details. We usually assume that are not a problem as for the customers can resolve by themselves.

It could be a config problem or the network setup issue in their environment.

I post that guide for the reference to make you double-check your parameters and you have to include all its domains and sub-domains before it is effectively blocking the websites.

Feel free to update me.

Options
2024-07-06 11:49:32

So I have been using my Er605 v2 for about 2 years in standalone mode and configuring it directly , and the URL filtering was working perfectly. The last firmware I had that was working was 2.2.3 . 20230201. . This week I decided to switch over to the controller and the controller wiped my configurations and upgraded to 2.2.5 .the controller was 5.31 version. . After using the controller I realized that you have more granular configs in standalone mode , and well the FW and URL filtering was not functioning, and was not a NTP issue , so I reverted to using the standalone mode to get back the functionality of the FW and URL filtering , however I no longer have the use of the FW or URL filtering functions . So I am thinking that it's something with the controller or firmware messing up the software of the er605 . I have tried rolling back to previous versions as far back as 2.2.1,, and reloading corresponding configuration backup but nothing seems to work at this point . If any one finds the fix do let me know . 

Options
2024-07-10 16:42:13

Hello @K-ryan02 , I was directed to try a beta firmware release for ER605. This did fix the URL filtering problem for me. I suggest that you try it as well.

The reason is mainly the Chrome updated its settings which caused the access is bypassed.

Options
Re:After Upgrading my TP-Link ER605 with latest Firmware URL Filter won't work!!!-Solution
2024-07-11 00:49:07 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:49:13

Hi @K-ryan02 

K-ryan02 wrote

The reason is mainly that Chrome updated its settings which caused the access to be bypassed.

TLS 1.3 Kyber support is the cause. The new firmware fixed that bypass by TLS 1.3 Kyber. 

Recommended Solution
Options