sftp not working anymore after working first time

2024-05-16 18:24:32 - last edited 2024-05-17 00:58:00
Tags: #sftp backup issues
Model: OC200   ER7212PC  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

***NOTE:  this happens on oc200 as well as er7212pc, but i could not add it to model section when submitting post as it said 'invalid content' and only allowed me to specify oc200 (even though it gives option to add model and it autofills with that model when typing out)  ???

purchased hosted storage solution that has ssh/sftp connectivity with the purpose of setting up autobackup for backing up the config of all of our customer's omada stacks.

tested connecting via filezilla client with the given connection information.  it was successful.

I then proceeded to try to setup autobackup on the first of 19 clients.  It would not save.

After troubleshooting, i found that changing port to 2246 (filezilla leave blank, but this is our designated port from our sftp provider) and changing to scp, it saved.

After that, i changed back to sftp, added port, user, pass and was able to successfully click browse and connect to the remote server filesystem. I scheduled a backup for a few minutes later, and it worked.

I proceed to move on to the rest of customer stacks figuring I just confirmed it worked and it should work on all the rest, but did not.

When I click 'browse' it would just spin and then just timeout without any indication of any error.

This is the same across multiple controller types (oc200 adn er7212pc), hardware version (1 vs 2), and firmware versions

Furthermore, on the first one where it originally worked and i captured a backup, now will not work. It no longer shows the backups in the list, nor connects to the sftp server when I click browse.  I tried rebooting the controller, but still same issue.

i have a ticket open with the sftp storage provider, but they are saying they do not see any other connection other than from my successful connections via filezilla client from my machine (which still works) so it would seem that it is not even trying to connect...

exporting logs, i see this info an entry for 'fail to connect to sftp server...' and then some java output such as 'com.jcraft.jsch.jschexception:  session is down' along with stack dump' (which I could not include as when i try to submit, it said 'invalid content' (???)

is this a bug?  anyway to get this working or troubleshoot further?

Need this to work so we can successfully and securely backup our clients stacks.  a usb thumb drive locally across all of remote clients is not an acceptable solution.

Thanks.

Options
2 Reply
Re:sftp not working anymore after working first time
2024-05-17 00:46:05

Hi  @jdsn2g 

You are referring to Auto Backup function of the controller, correct?

May I have the controller version you are testing? 

Furthermore, on the first one where it originally worked and i captured a backup, now will not work. It no longer shows the backups in the list, nor connects to the sftp server when I click browse.

-If you login your file server through filezilla client, can you find that backup file? Or it's totally disappear from the file server(like be deleted)?

If possible, please let me know the name of that "hosted storage solution“, so I can run the test on my end. I do only have a local file server to test right now and I did not see any problem with it.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:sftp not working anymore after working first time
2024-05-17 13:02:22 - last edited 2024-05-17 13:06:01

Thank you for the reply.

Q:  You are referring to Auto Backup function of the controller, correct?   

A:  Yes

------

Q:  May I have the controller version you are testing? 

A:  Model OC200  and ER7212PC  This is the same across multiple controller types (oc200 and er7212pc), multiple hardware versions (v1 vs v2), and firmware versions.  If you are asking for one precision combination out of all of that then let's just choose the original one where it worked for 1 backup and now fails to even connect:  Model:  OC200 v2 5.13.30.20    2.14.4 Build 20240304 Rel.54311

------

Q:  If you login your file server through filezilla client, can you find that backup file? Or it's totally disappear from the file server(like be deleted)?

A: the backup file is still there.  the behavior is when i go to the controller interface now, a circle spins for ~30 seconds, then show blank where the file(s) should show up in the list.  If i try to click browse or save it gives the same spinning circle for ~30 seconds, times out and reverts to whatever was originally saved for the configuration, which in this case is scp with all the same settings.  You see, when I was originally trying to input the configuration and get it to work, I tried multiple settings (i.e. no port, port 22, and then port 2246-which is our designated port, hostname/ then ip, etc)  and then tried scp protocol.  What was weird is the config saved with scp as the protocol (did work to actually back up though) and then i changed to sftp and put in the same host, port, user, and pass and it saved (got 'succeeded' banner at the top) and I was able to connect and browse the remote server filesystem.

-----

Q:  If possible, please let me know the name of that "hosted storage solution“, so I can run the test on my end. I do only have a local file server to test right now and I did not see any problem with it.

A:  The company is called Veerotech.  It is there ftp/ssh storage solution:  wwwDOTveerotechDOTnet/storage

As I mentioned previously, when i export logs i see the sftp connection failures, along with java exceptions, java stack dump, and other associated error entries. 

I tried to post them in the original post, but when trying to submit it kept complaining about a invalid character and would not submit.  I can try to upload again if helpful or curious.

for essentially here are the connection and java errors:

Here are sftp connection and java errors examples:

05-16-2024 18:43:05.561 WARN [proxy-handler-thread-105]  c.t.s.o.b.c.c.a.f(): Fail to connect to SFTP server, omadacId= com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: java.io.IOException: Pipe closed

05-16-2024 15:17:38.484 WARN proxy-handler-thread-271 c.t.s.o.b.c.c.a.f(): Fail to connect to SFTP server, omadacId=

com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: session is down

05-16-2024 13:20:22.518 WARN [proxy-handler-thread-9]  c.t.s.o.b.c.c.a.f(): Fail to connect to SFTP server, omadacId=

com.jcraft.jsch.JSchException: timeout: socket is not established Here is scp:  error entry too:

05-16-2024 16:43:13.805 WARN [proxy-handler-thread-89]  c.t.s.o.m.c.b.a.a.b.c(): File server connect failed, omadacId=

I would include the success but combing there log, I don't seem to be able to identify a stream/pattern for the actual successful connection. I am working with a tech at the hosting company, but they swear they do not see anything but the successful connections from my filezilla client and ip. At this point I am not sure if this is an incompatibility of 'sftp client/program/java code' of tplink, the hosting provider, or combination.  Either way it should not be this difficult to setup secure remote backups

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 110

Replies: 2

Tags

sftp backup issues
Related Articles