Two-Switch Redundancy using LACP 802.3ad for devices and LAG between switches

2024-05-17 01:06:23 - last edited 2024-05-17 01:09:02
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20230602 Rel.76586

I want to connect two TL-SG3210XHP-M2 together such that a NAS with two 1GbE interfaces can be configured for 802.3ad (mode-4 LACP channel bonding) with one eth port plugged into each switch to provide bandwidth aggregation and fail-over.

I presume the 2 SG switches would use 1 LAG between them (eg: Port 9 using a 10GbE SFP+ TwinAx "copper" cable) and a 2nd LAG on each switch that "up-links" to a non-TPL (Allied Telesys) switch (eg: Port 10 using an SFP 1GbE optical SFP and 65.2 micron fiber).

The goals are:

• Under normal conditions, the NAS device and all NAS clients would use both of the links for LACP bandwidth aggregation (approx 2Gb) with redundancy and also able to reach the core (the Allied Telesys switch) through the LAG up-link.
  • If one of the SG3210 fails (or goes offline for maintenance), all NAS traffic would seamlessly use the surviving SG3210 switch (path) and all of its traffic would reach the core at 1Gb.
  • Propagate any VLAN details between the core and the 2 SG switches. 

Is this as simple as:

1. Using the GUI on each SG switch to define a Static LAG on SG-1 and SG-2 for port 9 (using the same Group ID) and then connecting the 10GbE TwinAx cable between the two SG switches on port 9,
  2. Using the GUI on each SG switch to define a Static LAG on SG-1 and SG-2 for port 10 (using the same Group ID) and then connecting the 1GbE optical cable up to matching ports on the Allied Telesys switch (preconfigured).
  3. Using the GUI on each SG switch to define an LACP (SG-1, 1/0/1 and SG-2 1/0/1, both active, both using the same Group ID and both using the same Port Priority) for the NAS device (and duplicate as needed).

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:Two-Switch Redundancy using LACP 802.3ad for devices and LAG between switches
2024-05-19 11:39:55

Hi  @ticedoff8 

Yes. Pretty much correct in everything you described.

Looks like you are doing this in the right direction. Should be no problem with your goals.

LACP, if one end is active, the other one is supposed to be set as passive.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Two-Switch Redundancy using LACP 802.3ad for devices and LAG between switches
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A Step 1 & 3 worked and I am waiting for parts to connect to the Allied Telesys to do Step 2.

So far, this is working out.

For the NAS devices, I set them to 802.3ad and the switch ports to passive. They linked right up and the switch shows each pair of ports as LAGx on each switch.

Thanks

Options
3 weeks ago

@ticedoff8 

Is my understanding of your configuration correct?

1. You defined a LAG link between the two switches, but you connected the switches with just one cable.

2. You bound two NAS interfaces with a LACP LAG and you connected each interface to ports that belong to two separate switches.

I must be missing something. 

Kris K
Options