802.11v BSS Transition Management Query ignored by AP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-06-13 09:28:02 - last edited 2024-07-01 13:48:17

Hello,

My setup is a ER706W router, with a TL-SG1005P switch that supplies over PoE a EAP-650 Wall Plate. The wireless network on the APs is a normal 2.4GHz (5GHz off) WPA2-PSK network. On the Omada controller of the router, I have activated Fast Roaming, AI Roaming, and Mesh, and RSSI threshold  on both AP in the devices tab.

I am trying to develop a fast roaming application on an ESP32 development board, that has Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 802.11ax capabilities. I programmed it so that below a certain RSSI threshold, it sends a BSS transition management query to the ER706W router.

I figured that even under a low RSSI value (< -75 dBm), none of the AP it is connected to will initiate a roaming, I don't know if this is normal behavior ? I even tried setting a RSSI Threshold in the devices tab, to force a STA to disconnect which is not roaming, it just disconnects and reconnects after some time, which is not seamless and induces a ~2 seconds offline delay.

With roaming initiated by the STA : Below a RSSI threshold (I tried -40, to -70), my ESP32 sends a RRM neighbor report request, it gets a proper response with the corresponding other AP available. Yet, when after that the ESP32 sends a BSS Transition Query with this candidate, nothing is sent back by the AP. However, I need to get in return a BSS Request, that will make the STA roam.

I did a Wireshark capture with a Wi-Fi adapter in monitor mode, I couldn't add it as a file so I uploaded it on google drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dObe7A5G65xgKrn0UUZTqvQEen7bbCpd/view?usp=sharing).
The STA is Espressif_43:6d:38, the main router is TP_Link_a6:36:09 and the other AP I want to connect to has a 3c:52:... MAC address. 4-way handshake starts at frame 285, and Neighbor report request is frame 3497, response is 3499/3500 and the BSS Transition Management Query follows at frame 3503. The same pattern repeats itself a few times after that.

The seamless roaming seems to change AP correctly with my iPhone 15, but I can't tell for sure, because I don't know if it disconnects and reconnects, or if it initiates a 802.11r roaming.

Could you enlighten me on this ? If you need additional information or debug logs (which I don't know how to get in full detail in Omada) tell me. I already opened a ticket on TP-Link zohodesk but without answer.

Have a great day,
evoon.

Options
6 Reply
Re:802.11v BSS Transition Management Query ignored by AP
2024-06-14 01:24:43 - last edited 2024-06-14 01:26:09

Hi @evoon 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

evoon wrote

Hello,

My setup is a ER706W router, with a TL-SG1005P switch that supplies over PoE a EAP-650 Wall Plate. The wireless network on the APs is a normal 2.4GHz (5GHz off) WPA2-PSK network. On the Omada controller of the router, I have activated Fast Roaming, AI Roaming, and Mesh, and RSSI threshold  on both AP in the devices tab.

I am trying to develop a fast roaming application on an ESP32 development board, that has Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz and 802.11ax capabilities. I programmed it so that below a certain RSSI threshold, it sends a BSS transition management query to the ER706W router.

I figured that even under a low RSSI value (< -75 dBm), none of the AP it is connected to will initiate a roaming, I don't know if this is normal behavior ? I even tried setting a RSSI Threshold in the devices tab, to force a STA to disconnect which is not roaming, it just disconnects and reconnects after some time, which is not seamless and induces a ~2 seconds offline delay.

What's the max RSSI value you test and conclude to start a roaming?

You have an option in the controller to set up the RSSI threshold. If you did not set it, that's why you don't switch. Unless you have set it to a value and you don't switch at that value. That should be a problem.

But, when you are NOT using an Omada product, the functionality is NOT guaranteed. I am not certain if our EAP owns a proprietary protocol for the fast roaming but we do use 802.11 k/v/r to enable the fast roaming.

evoon wrote

With roaming initiated by the STA : Below a RSSI threshold (I tried -40, to -70), my ESP32 sends a RRM neighbor report request, it gets a proper response with the corresponding other AP available. Yet, when after that the ESP32 sends a BSS Transition Query with this candidate, nothing is sent back by the AP. However, I need to get in return a BSS Request, that will make the STA roam.

I did a Wireshark capture with a Wi-Fi adapter in monitor mode, I couldn't add it as a file so I uploaded it on google drive (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dObe7A5G65xgKrn0UUZTqvQEen7bbCpd/view?usp=sharing).
The STA is Espressif_43:6d:38, the main router is TP_Link_a6:36:09 and the other AP I want to connect to has a 3c:52:... MAC address. 4-way handshake starts at frame 285, and Neighbor report request is frame 3497, response is 3499/3500 and the BSS Transition Management Query follows at frame 3503. The same pattern repeats itself a few times after that.

The seamless roaming seems to change AP correctly with my iPhone 15, but I can't tell for sure, because I don't know if it disconnects and reconnects, or if it initiates a 802.11r roaming.

Could you enlighten me on this ? If you need additional information or debug logs (which I don't know how to get in full detail in Omada) tell me. I already opened a ticket on TP-Link zohodesk but without answer.

Have a great day,
evoon.

Again, the whole question seems to be about the EAP. I don't see you mention ER706W failing in its WIFI capability.

I will transfer your case to the AP page.

And, please note that you are using a board that is a third party, I don't think we have to support you on this one unless you have problems reside between our products beyond a third-party board.

We did not guarantee EAP fast roaming capability with a third-party model or a developer board. What is Fast Roaming of TP-Link Business Wi-Fi Products?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-06-14 03:27:58

Hi @evoon 

Please also try disable 802.11r on your SSID settings. We saw some reports that Apple devices may have roaming issue when the APs enable 802.11r.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-06-18 09:45:49 - last edited 2024-06-18 09:54:07

@evoon 
I managed to make the controller answer the BSS TM queries ! However I have another issue now, in the Query sent by my module, the better AP is provided in the neighbor report section (see screenshot below). In this exchange below the current AP I am connected to is TPLink_fc:71:7e and the target AP to roam to is TP_Link_a6:36:09.
Settings :
RSSI Threshold -50 (on both AP)
802.11r on
Fast Roaming on
AI Roaming on
UAPS-D off (on both AP)

Yet, in the request sent in return by the AP, in the neighbor report field it puts itself as the neighbor ? It doesn't make sense. In the query the correct neighbor was specified. What happened ?

I don't know if this is relevant but after that my module sends a response, but it doesn't roam as it is currently connected to the candidate provided by the Request.

Is there a way to force the AP in his request to use the neighbor provided in the Query ?

Thanks,
Evan

Options
2024-06-19 03:51:51

Hi  @evoon 

After reading your notes, I want to confirm one more thing with you:

Do you have the SSID applied to both of your Gateway and the EAP. You may send us the screenshot of SSID settings page;

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-06-19 06:50:43

@Fae The following network is applied to both AP via the Devices->AP->Config tab.
Here is the settings page :

Thanks have a great day.

Options
2024-06-21 03:59:40

Hi  @evoon 

Could you please help confirm, your testing client device support 802.11 k.

We did some research and found that:

If the device does not support 11k and only supports 11v, the roaming process cannot provide correct roaming suggestions

Options