Routing Policy is ignored, does not work at all

2024-02-21 16:55:15 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:13:56
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368 (latest)

Could you advise me on how to make the policy-based routing work, please?

I am to configure priority based routing on a non OMADA, standalone box.

I have 3 WAN uplinks WAN (Port1), WAN/LAN (Port2), and USB

I want uplink2 to carry load only when uplink1 is down (hot failover) and the same for link 3 (only if 1 and 2 are down).

Policy based routing is supposed to give this feature but it does not work. 

Followed this manual: 

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2134/

and went through the User Manual and the threads. None of them helped. Once I turn an uplink on I am getting an even distribution (proportional to bandwidth) of traffic regardless of any settings. 

Config is 

One single LAN, no QoS or any advanced settings at all. LAN is connected to port Port 3-4-5. No vlan tagging. 

WAN - Copper provider, IP4, static IP (legacy, less preferred, WAN2)

LAN/WAN - Fibre PPoE (preferred, I called it WAN1)

USB - Wireless Data dongle (autoidentified, connected, tested working, WAN3)   

Load Balancing - ON

LB Rules

LB Rule1 - Primary WAN1, Backup - WAN2, if the primary fails, autosensing, priority (tried Only as well) 

LB Rule2 - Primary WAN2, Backup - USB, if the primary fails, autosensing, priority (tried Only as well)

(I have tried all combinations, disable all rules, keep LB on, disable one rule or all. same outcome) 

Policy

Rule1 - by destination

Service: all, time: any, source IP: any, source: all_IPs_of_my_LAN, destination: all_public_IPs (Class A, B, C except my LAN range)

Rule 2 - by source 

Service: all, time: any, source IP: any, source: all_public_IPs (Class A, B, C except my LAN range), destination: all_IPs_of_my_LAN

Where range items are defined simply as IP address 1.0.0.0 to 192.167.255.255, via IP addresses and groups.  

Could you advise, please!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Routing Policy is ignored, does not work at all-Solution
2024-02-22 02:13:21 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:13:46

Hi @G_r 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I still think you should use the controller. Only in controller mode, does it meet your expectation.

In standalone, you can do 1 > 2 > 3 this kind of failover, but it requires Link Backup and PBR.

1 2 set up regular link backup. 2 3 set up PBR and use priority mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Routing Policy is ignored, does not work at all-Solution
2024-02-22 02:13:21 - last edited 2024-02-22 02:13:46

Hi @G_r 

I still think you should use the controller. Only in controller mode, does it meet your expectation.

In standalone, you can do 1 > 2 > 3 this kind of failover, but it requires Link Backup and PBR.

1 2 set up regular link backup. 2 3 set up PBR and use priority mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Routing Policy is ignored, does not work at all
2024-02-23 19:48:21 - last edited 2024-02-24 09:17:25

Hi @Clive_A 
Thank you for the advice. 

Finally I managed to make it work without a controller (a few cycles of failover):
The working combination is:
 LB on

Link Backup rule: backup if any of the prim fails. Prim: WAN1 (only) Backup: WAN2 

Policy: Rule1 - If DST is external any and SRC LAN any then WAN1, Rule2 if SRC is external any and DST is LAN any then WAN1 

It shows this (less logical) routing table 

ID Destination IP Subnet Mask Next Hop Interface Metric
1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 WAN1 next hop  WAN prefer 0
2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 WAN2 next hop WAN2 0

with metric = 0, and 0. 

I THINK the the weight is to come from the Policy records, but it does not show up at all. Btw could you show the routing table of your controller based setup, pls?

PS.

Could you tell me the difference between Only and Preferred policy setting?

Also how the detection supposed to work? What triggers the Online status? (I have the WAN2 in private subnet, routed to the public nicely, does ping, tracert, DNS lookup), still it shows offline here but shows Online at the WAN settings. 

THX

Options
Re:Routing Policy is ignored, does not work at all
2024-02-26 03:17:42 - last edited 2024-02-26 03:17:58

Hi @G_r 

G_r wrote

Hi @Clive_A 
Thank you for the advice. 

Finally I managed to make it work without a controller (a few cycles of failover):
The working combination is:
 LB on

Link Backup rule: backup if any of the prim fails. Prim: WAN1 (only) Backup: WAN2 

Policy: Rule1 - If DST is external any and SRC LAN any then WAN1, Rule2 if SRC is external any and DST is LAN any then WAN1 

It shows this (less logical) routing table 

ID Destination IP Subnet Mask Next Hop Interface Metric
1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 WAN1 next hop  WAN prefer 0
2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 WAN2 next hop WAN2 0

with metric = 0, and 0. 

I THINK the the weight is to come from the Policy records, but it does not show up at all. Btw could you show the routing table of your controller based setup, pls?

PS.

Could you tell me the difference between Only and Preferred policy setting?

Also how the detection supposed to work? What triggers the Online status? (I have the WAN2 in private subnet, routed to the public nicely, does ping, tracert, DNS lookup), still it shows offline here but shows Online at the WAN settings. 

THX

1. Read the Help Center on the controller page. The question mark is on your top right corner.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 269

Replies: 3

Related Articles