Load Balancing Issues with TL-ER605

2024-07-03 17:54:37
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368

Hello,

I would like to describe the objective I am trying to achieve.

I have two internet service providers. One should be the primary (WAN1), and the other (WAN1/LAN1) should act as a backup. When WAN1 loses internet access, the router should switch to the backup WAN1/LAN1. If the primary WAN1 regains connectivity, the router should switch back to it.

Unfortunately, the router is behaving differently than I expect. Perhaps I have configured something incorrectly? I really don't know. Everything worked fine before. The issue likely started after updating the Omada controller to version 5.13.30.8, but I am not certain.

Currently, the situation is that if WAN1/LAN1 regains connectivity, the router switches to the backup connection even though WAN1 is providing internet to the router. Last night, the router unexpectedly switched to WAN1/LAN1, even though WAN1 was fully operational. There are no logs indicating any issues with WAN1. The only log was that WAN1/LAN1 was temporarily inactive but then regained connectivity. It was at this point that the router switched to WAN1/LAN1.

Now, it seems like WAN1/LAN1 is treated as the primary connection. If I disconnect WAN1/LAN1 in the Omada app on my phone, the router switches to WAN1. If I reconnect WAN1/LAN1, the router continues to treat the backup connection as primary. Why is this happening?

Unfortunately, I cannot attach screenshots here (403 ERROR .The request could not be satisfied.)

Thanks

Options
11 Reply
Re:Load Balancing Issues with TL-ER605
2024-07-03 17:57:14

My configuration

Load Balancing Weight: 1:1

Application Optimized Routing: Disabled

Link Backup: Enabled

Primary WAN: WAN

Backup WAN: WAN/LAN1

Backup Mode: Always Link Primary

Mode: Enable backup link when all primary WANs fail

Options
2024-07-04 01:13:33

Hi  @Sefinek 

Sefinek wrote

My configuration

Load Balancing Weight: 1:1

Application Optimized Routing: Disabled

Link Backup: Enabled

Primary WAN: WAN

Backup WAN: WAN/LAN1

Backup Mode: Always Link Primary

Mode: Enable backup link when all primary WANs fail

This is the correct setup. Nothing wrong with it.

If this can be of help:

Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

If it does not switch back, that's because the primary is still considered as down. Check the status of the WAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-04 01:19:15

@Clive_A  WAN1 definitely had internet access, because I checked it. The router connected to WAN1 of the TP-Link was providing internet to the router. Despite this, the TL-ER605 was still operating on the backup link.

Currently, the router is receiving internet from WAN1. If I were to reconnect WAN1/LAN, the router would switch to the backup connection. Weird

Options
2024-07-05 01:19:29

Hi  @Sefinek 

Sefinek wrote

@Clive_A  WAN1 definitely had internet access, because I checked it. The router connected to WAN1 of the TP-Link was providing internet to the router. Despite this, the TL-ER605 was still operating on the backup link.

Currently, the router is receiving internet from WAN1. If I were to reconnect WAN1/LAN, the router would switch to the backup connection. Weird

The Online Detection and how it works is explained in the link. If it does not switch back, can you provide the test results of your ping?

The diagram as well.

If you cannot upload the screenshots, check your browser or try the incognito mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-05 01:21:55

Hi  @Sefinek 

How you manage this router? Via Omada Controller? 

Make sure you have Backup Mode as Always Link primary.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-07-05 01:34:39

@Clive_A 

Hi
It is clear that it responds to pings. Currently, the router receives internet from WAN1 while WAN1/LAN is disconnected. When I reconnect WAN1/LAN, the router, for some unknown reason, switches to the backup connection even though WAN1 continues to provide internet.

Thanks for help

Options
2024-07-05 01:35:50

@Fae via Omada Controller

Options
2024-07-05 01:52:20

I recorded a video showing this issue, but I don't want to share it publicly here because it contains serial numbers. It would be great if I could send it to one of you via private messages

Options
2024-07-13 18:00:57

@Fae Will this bug finally be fixed?

Options
2024-07-15 05:44:18

Hi  @Sefinek 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on the TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID240730271, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Please send the video and the backup config file(of your controller) to the ticket email, so we can do further research.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options