Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

Hey there,

first, my other devices that may affect this setup:

- Switch: SG3218XP-M2 v1.0, Firmware 1.0.3

- AP #1: EAP650-Wall(EU) v2.0, Firmware 1.0.1

- AP #2: EAP655-Wall(EU) v1.0, Firmware 1.2.7

- Controller: OC200 v1.0, Firmware: 5.7.6

I do have a couple of Wi-Fi's and VLANs configured. A few of those work (like my main two Wi-Fis (luckily!)), but a couple don't. My setup:

VLANs:

- Private, ID: 1, Subnet 10.42.0.1

- Guests, ID: 100, Subnet 10.42.100.1

- IoT, ID: 200, Subnet 10.42.200.1

- OldDevices, ID: 300, Subnet 10.42.30.1

Wi-Fi's (name's are changed for privacy reasons):

- Private: My main / private Wi-Fi. No VLAN configured, as this will make the Wi-Fi unusable (that's another issue I have, but that's for another day...)

- Guests: Guest network, also has the "Guest network" checkbox ticked, VLAN ID 100

- IoT: For all IoT devices, VLAN ID 200

- OldWiFi2.4: I recently moved and renamed my Wi-Fis, but for old IoT devices that are partly hard to factory reset, I re-created the two old Wi-Fis for them so I can 1-by-1 then move them over. VLAN ID: 300

- OldWiFi5: See above. VLAN ID: 300

The issue is with the Wi-Fi's "Guests", "OldWiFi2.4" and "OldWiFi5", or VLANs 100 and 300 respectively.

Wi-Fi's "Private" and "IoT" / VLANs 1 and 200 work as intended.

The issue is that only iPhones seem to be able to obtain an IP address. Android devices (including my own, tested five different), my Windows 11 Laptop and some old IoT devices are unable to obtain an IP address.

My own device can connect to my "Private" Wi-Fi, but not to "Guests", "OldWiFi2.4" and "OldWiFi5".

And yes, I googled the issue and I found this thread, but that was not really leading to a solution: https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/578868

I tried several things already:
- Recreating the Wi-Fi: No success

- Recreating the VLAN: No success

- Force provision the two APs: No success

- Force provision the router: No success

- Force provision the switch: No success. However, when I did this, it was unable to adopt the switch again, saying the user credentials had changed!? I tried "admin/admin" and adopted it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

- Change the VLAN IDs: No success

- Don't have a VLAN set to the affected Wi-Fis: SUCCESS, this will make the Wi-Fi work with non-iPhones... But that's not the solution :D

- Changing the VLAN: SUCCESS: See above

I'm really out of ideas. I quadruple-checked the configs of those Wi-Fis and VLANs, I can't spot an issue. The VLAN profiles are anyways read-only; I can't change / break them. And I do have working Wi-Fi's and VLANs, but those refuse to work...

Thanks already and greetings,

Andy!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Several Wi-Fi's / VLANs not providing IPs via DHCP-Solution
2024-07-08 08:21:42 - last edited 2024-07-08 08:28:23

Hi @ezcGman 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Do you use the default "All" on port 17 (switch) which is the uplink to the router?

Possible you test the wired connection on a free port if this VLAN is working or not?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Several Wi-Fi's / VLANs not providing IPs via DHCP
2024-07-08 02:30:09 - last edited 2024-07-08 07:30:41

Hi  @ezcGman 

How to Set Up VLAN Interface on the Omada Router

How to Configure VLAN on TP-Link Switch

If you are using the switch as the DHCP server:

How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-08 03:27:35

Hi @ezcGman 

Add another comment, the WIFI is using SSID VLAN. Not seeing you mention this.

Options
2024-07-08 07:20:36 - last edited 2024-07-08 07:31:58

@Clive_A 

Hey Clive,

thanks for the links, but as I said: I do know how to configure VLANs and Wi-Fis... I have a few working and the ones not working are configured exactly the same... Something else is clearly off.

I'm also not sure what u mean with "I didn't mention the Guest VLAN SSID". If you mean I didn't say that I have the VLAN ID set on the Guests Wi-Fi: I said that and I have it set: It's 100. And I also mentioned that having no ID set and changing it to e.g. 200 (the IoT VLAN) makes it work.

Something is off. Either devices are not getting all the configs, like not knowing some VLANs or I don't know.

Also: Under which circumstances would I want that the Switch acts as the DHCP? So why do you link that?

I also tried giving a device a static IP after connecting to the Guests Wi-Fi, but I neither can reach the Router under its IP (10.42.100.1), not can I access the internet / WAN. The device does show up in the clients list though...

This really starts to get super frustrating...

Thanks and greetings,

Andy!

Options
2024-07-08 07:37:57

Hi @ezcGman 

ezcGman wrote

@Clive_A 

Hey Clive,

thanks for the links, but as I said: I do know how to configure VLANs and Wi-Fis... I have a few working and the ones not working are configured exactly the same... Something else is clearly off.

I'm also not sure what u mean with "I didn't mention the Guest VLAN SSID". If you mean I didn't say that I have the VLAN ID set on the Guests Wi-Fi: I said that and I have it set: It's 100. And I also mentioned that having no ID set and changing it to e.g. 200 (the IoT VLAN) makes it work.

Something is off. Either devices are not getting all the configs, like not knowing some VLANs or I don't know.

This really starts to get super frustrating...

Thanks and greetings,

Andy!

I don't see your configs or screenshots so I cannot make assumptions or judge. I usually rely on config screenshots and diagrams. Well, now I cannot make suggestions as well if you say everything is checked several times and nothing is wrong.  So, I would not ask you to check it again with the guides in case you miss something.

But I can tell you that I haven't received any information from either the test or dev team about the recent router firmware malfunctions in the DHCP or VLAN.

If you are an expert, try to run the CLI and get the readings of the VLAN on the router/switch. See if they are effectively getting the VLANs from the controller. If you need me to review your configs, then post the screenshots. You know what is needed to demonstrate a VLAN to the AP. So I don't repeat it here.

Or contact technical support for the remote check. They may log in to your controller for the check.

Good hunting.

Options
2024-07-08 08:00:30 - last edited 2024-07-08 08:02:42

@Clive_A 

Not working Wi-Fi:

Not working VLAN:

Working Wi-Fi:

Working VLAN:

Wiring:
- Modem is connected to Port 1 on ER707

- Switch is connected to Port 7/SFP on ER707 and Port 17/SFP on SG3218XP-M2 (Using TP-Link SM5310-T SFT+ modules on both ends)

- APs are connected to Port 1 & 2 on SG3218XP-M2

- Controller is connected to Port 8 on SG3218XP-M2 and ETH1 on OC200

What else do you need screenshots of then?

Greetings,

Andy!

Options
2024-07-08 08:11:47

Hi @ezcGman 

Port profile. Did you use default or create any?

Options
2024-07-08 08:19:32

@Clive_A 

Default profiles. I do have one custom profile that is set to one specific port, but the two ports the APs are connected to do use the default "All" profile.

Thanks for your help s far!! <3

Options
Re:Several Wi-Fi's / VLANs not providing IPs via DHCP-Solution
2024-07-08 08:21:42 - last edited 2024-07-08 08:28:23

Hi @ezcGman 

Do you use the default "All" on port 17 (switch) which is the uplink to the router?

Possible you test the wired connection on a free port if this VLAN is working or not?

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-08 08:26:16 - last edited 2024-07-08 08:26:41

@Clive_A 

You are a HERO and I bow to you! The Uplink port had my custom profile set... I really don't know how that happened... I must have by accident set it on the uplink port when I was configuring the VLANs for that custom profile... Wow, that was hidden :D THANKS SO MUCH! Oh man, I would have never found that I think :D

Options
2024-07-08 09:14:35

Hi @ezcGman 

ezcGman wrote

@Clive_A 

You are a HERO and I bow to you! The Uplink port had my custom profile set... I really don't know how that happened... I must have by accident set it on the uplink port when I was configuring the VLANs for that custom profile... Wow, that was hidden :D THANKS SO MUCH! Oh man, I would have never found that I think :D

Good to know it is resolved. wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 10

Related Articles