Multicast traffic on EAP673

2024-07-13 13:22:16 - last edited 2024-07-28 07:54:26
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3 Build 20240201 Rel. 56168(4555)

Hello All,

I'm just in a middle of installation of an ecosystem consist of Omada devices. I'm currently using all the devices in standalone mode.

The access point is a TP-LINK EAP673. I'm setting up multiple VLANs for the different Wireless SSIDs, One of them is the WLAN for the IoT/Smart home devices.

Some of the devices require multicast communication enabled.

How does the EAP673 handle multicast communication by default ?

The EAP is connected to a 2.5G switch. I enabled IGMP snooping on the switch side for all the VLANs on all the SW ports. (MLD snooping , MVR, Multicast filtering are all disabled).

On the Gateway devices IGMP proxy is also enabled.

Still the Smart home device is unable to communicate with the application on my smart phone connected to the same WLAN as the smart home device and with the Cloud servers (Home-connect).

Any suggestion?

(When I connect the smart home device to an old 1043nd running DD WRT it connects with cloud servers and smart home app flawlessly).

Thanks.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Multicast traffic on EAP673-Solution
2024-07-15 10:00:07 - last edited 2024-07-28 07:54:26

@lkakas 

Please confirm whether your smart devices discover cloud server using mDNS. If so, Standalone mode does not support it. Use the controller to manage the AP and configure mDNS. Alternatively, you can try setting it on the router.

How to Configure mDNS on the Omada Controller

How to use Bonjour Related Functions of Omada AP on Omada Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Multicast traffic on EAP673-Solution
2024-07-15 10:00:07 - last edited 2024-07-28 07:54:26

@lkakas 

Please confirm whether your smart devices discover cloud server using mDNS. If so, Standalone mode does not support it. Use the controller to manage the AP and configure mDNS. Alternatively, you can try setting it on the router.

How to Configure mDNS on the Omada Controller

How to use Bonjour Related Functions of Omada AP on Omada Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Multicast traffic on EAP673
2024-07-15 10:30:53 - last edited 2024-07-15 10:31:52

Hi  @Hank21 ,

It seems that was the missing bit. During the weekend I inspected the traffic with Wireshark and have seen that the devices are sending mDNS requests. I enabled the mDNS on the ER8411 GW and everything started to work.

So configuring the multicast on the switches is not enough for those, but seems most of the smart home devices are also using mDNS to discover their cloud services.

Thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 198

Replies: 2

Related Articles