WiFi Vs hub (sub 1G) battery cameras

a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi all, 

Why do tp link have very similar outdoor cameras but some communicate through WiFi router and others through the dedicated hub H200. Whats the logic for going for one vs the other? The hub approach seems like a good idea to me, sub 1g for supposed better range and SD card onboard for recordings. Yet one of the newest cameras C425 with longest battery life is WiFi only, is the hub being phased out? I find the inconstancy confusing.

Thanks for the advice

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:WiFi Vs hub (sub 1G) battery cameras-Solution

@MattyP281 

Whether the camera can be used outdoors depends on the hardware design, such as waterproofing features. Camera's network type is irrelevant in this case.

On the official website's Home Security category, you can use the filter tool to find all outdoor camera models. Home Security - Outdoor Camera

To compare the differences between different products, use the Compare tool on the TP-Link website. What's the difference between the TP-Link Products?

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:WiFi Vs hub (sub 1G) battery cameras
a week ago

@MattyP281 

It is quite common to find various types of camera devices with different shapes and specifications to meet different usage environments and functional needs. You can choose the appropriate device based on your requirements.

Landscape Mode - Tapo App for PadShare Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

Thanks for the reply. If this is the case I think the website could be clearer on this. For example it doesn't say hub cameras are recommended for outdoor use and WiFi for indoor. I guess technically either can be used so it's a grey area.

It took me quite a while to figure out the differences between different camera models e.g. c420, c425, tc82. A comparison tool/table maybe would be useful also. 

Thanks 

Options
Re:WiFi Vs hub (sub 1G) battery cameras-Solution

@MattyP281 

Whether the camera can be used outdoors depends on the hardware design, such as waterproofing features. Camera's network type is irrelevant in this case.

On the official website's Home Security category, you can use the filter tool to find all outdoor camera models. Home Security - Outdoor Camera

To compare the differences between different products, use the Compare tool on the TP-Link website. What's the difference between the TP-Link Products?

Recommended Solution
Options
a week ago

I agree @MattyP281 it can be a bit tricky to work things out yes

@Wayne-TP I gave the compare page a quick go - picking a Tapo C420S2 to compare, under 'storage' it says "MicroSD Card Slot on Camera (Up to 512 GB)" - is that a typo?
I have 4 of these cameras and use an SD card in the H200 hub? Or am I missing something? 

Options
a week ago

@Wayne-TP 

@HmmmUK 

I didn't realise there was this comparison tool. It's useful if it has the right information. Thanks

Options
a week ago

HmmmUK wrote

I agree @MattyP281 it can be a bit tricky to work things out yes

@Wayne-TP I gave the compare page a quick go - picking a Tapo C420S2 to compare, under 'storage' it says "MicroSD Card Slot on Camera (Up to 512 GB)" - is that a typo?
I have 4 of these cameras and use an SD card in the H200 hub? Or am I missing something? 

@HmmmUK 

Thank you for the feedback. I'll report it to the relevant team to check it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 106

Replies: 6

Related Articles