VLAN Issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VLAN Issue?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VLAN Issue?
VLAN Issue?
2023-07-26 01:25:34 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:17
Model: TL-SG1024DE  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I got two TD-SG1024DE v3 switches and now have upgraded to FTTP (Fibre), and NTD has been installed on the front property, and my pfSense router is in the back office with Switch B, and NTD is next to Switch A

I'm trying to create VLAN for WAN on its independent port (Port 22) on Switch A and Switch B port 22 to pfSense own WAN NIC, but it doesn't pick IP from the WAN (NTD)

I have tried different ways with untagged and tagged, doesn't work, and can you help me out, see screenshots below. And use the same configuration on A and B Switches.

Diagram;

FTTP (NTD) <--> Port 22 Switch A -- Switch B <- Port 22 -> pfSense WAN NIC0 (no VLAN) / NIC1 < -- Port 1 -- > Switch B Port 1

Options
8 Reply
Re:VLAN Issue?
2023-07-26 07:58:26 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@CETBOR 

FTTP (NTD) <--> Port 22 Switch A -- Switch B <- Port 22 -> pfSense WAN NIC0 (no VLAN) / NIC1 < -- Port 1 -- > Switch B Port 1

what.. you set VLAN as tagged 22, switch B is also tagged 22, PVID 22, your pfsense is not configured with VLAN? what are you trying to do?

why do you need vlan?

untagged, vlan 22, PVID 22, pfsense no vlan.

tagged, vlan 22, PVID default, pfsesen vlan 22 tagged

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-26 08:12:36 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@Tedd404 

what the... (HAHAHA)

you set VLAN as tagged 22, switch B is also tagged 22, PVID 22, your pfsense is not configured with VLAN? what are you trying to do?

why do you need vlan?

Sorry I'm a novice and still learn how to use, been use pfSense without VLAN for a long time but now need VLAN for my network, KIDS need parental control with own DHCP server from, will use VLAN30 for KIDS

I configured pfSense with VLAN for kids, seems to work well, got old fixed wireless from ISP direct to NIC0 from the office where fixed wireless is nearly but FTTP has been installed out front of the house, do not want to move pfSense (rack) out front

Will be great if you can help me out, just basic vlans will do good as long as i can get FTTP to work to my pfSense

Options
2023-07-26 08:38:11 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@CETBOR 

i thought it was improper. so I changed it to "what". lol. wink

it's okay.. i am just curious about the setup. I've seen people put the switch in between the modem and the router. there were some special cases in this forum

but yours.. if the modem is not hosting your vlan, you don't put it here.

a lot better choice would be:

FTTP (NTD) <--> pfSense WAN NIC0 (no VLAN) / NIC1 <<<>>>> Port 22 Switch A -- Switch B <- Port 22 -> < -- Port 1 -- > Switch B Port 1

then based on this diagram you set up the vlan accordingly. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/788/

takes time to digest this article. not sure if you have read it. wink

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-26 13:04:38 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@Tedd404 

Thanks, and yes, NTD -> pfSense (router) -> Switch will be the easier solution, but the pfSense is an ITX, and the fan makes noise. Happy to leave as it is in the workshop/office away from the house.

I have two network cables between the house/workshop(office), and they are both on LAG1 port 23/24 on Switch A and B

How can I figure out one port on Switch A and B to be independent and not involved with other subnets when using VLAN?

Options
2023-07-27 01:05:29 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@CETBOR 

try what i sent earlier.

Options
2023-07-27 09:34:08 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@Tedd404 

Thanks, I almost got it to work, but it takes ages to get WAN to work. If you wait up to 5 mins, it starts to pick up, not immediately or if I reboot both switches, then it picks WAN quickly. Here are the screenshots. You can check if I'm doing it right. Also, you might see VLAN (default 1), I have to untick port 22 and let me know if I'm doing wrong or right.

Switch A - House
, check all screenshots and let
 Switch A - House

Switch A - House

Switch B - Workshop

Switch B - Workshop

Switch B - Workshop
​​​​​​​

Options
2023-07-28 01:24:24 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

@CETBOR 

That’s a strange arrangement, but it should work in the theory. However, you may experience performance issues since the traffic from Internet would be going first through Switch A, LAG, Switch B and pfSense and then back the same way to reach your house. In addition to that, the same link will be used by your local traffic.

If you have already configured the LAG with VLANs, you already know this, but I’ll mention it just in case. A LAG acts like a port and even some networking companies call it a port-cannel. When used with VLANs, the LAG as a whole, not its individual ports, need to be configured with VLANs.

First, configure the LAG with VLANs for your local traffic if you haven’t done it yet. Add Internet traffic to it once that's working. To add a link between FTTP (NTD) and pfSense WAN, configure the both switches the same way as follows.

Port 22: PVID 22, VLAN 22, Untagged.

LAG: VLAN 22, Tagged.

However, in my opinion, it would be better to break the LAG and use one cable to connect FTTP (NTD) and pfSense WAN and the second one to connect both switches. Later it may become feasible to run another cable from the house to the office:)

Kris K
Options
2023-08-01 07:33:27 - last edited 2023-11-10 03:42:06

Hi @CETBOR 

Is there any update on this? Got it fixed?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 825

Replies: 8

Related Articles