How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller

2024-04-02 03:12:22 - last edited 2024-04-23 03:21:35

Background:

This post provides a configuration guide to set up the DHCP server on the Omada switch in Controller mode.

This Article Applies to:

All Omada switches that support DHCP servers.

Application Scenario:

Configuration Steps:

1. Turn off the DHCP server on Router

If there are two DHCP servers in your network, it will cause chaos on IP assignment, so the first thing we need to do is to turn off the router’s DHCP server.

Disconnect the Router and Switch, connect the PC to the Router directly, log in to the Router’s management interface, and turn off the DHCP server. (New devices cannot get an IP address from Router anymore)

Here we take ER605 as an example, go to Network > LAN > Edit, DHCP Mode as DHCP Server, uncheck the Enable Status, and click Save.

After the DHCP server been turned off, we can do a test to make sure DHCP server not assigning IP addresses anymore.

Connect a new device to the Router, and now we can see the new device is assigned an invalid IP address---169.254.X.X, which means the DHCP server is off successfully.

(The connected device will still have 192.168.0.X IP address as the DHCP lease is not over yet.)

2. Adopt Switch on Controller

Situation 1: OC200/Oc300.

Without the DHCP server, the switch uses 192.168.0.1 as the default IP address, and OC200/OC300 uses 192.168.0.253. To be able to manage the Network on the PC, we need to set a static IP on the PC to fit this IP range 192.168.0.X (2~252).

Situation 2: Software Controller.

Connect the PC to the switch and set a static IP in the same subnet as 192.168.0.X(default subnet), launch the Software Controller, and adopt the switch.

(If you use OC200/OC300, we could input this IP address on a web browser to launch the hardware Controller).

Once the Controller is running, go to Devices, you will see the switch is Pending, click the Adopt button on the right side, once the status turns to Connected, we can continue the configuration.

3. Enable DHCP server on Controller for Switch

On Controller, go to Devices > Config > VLAN Interface, and click Edit then you can edit the VLAN interface.

Set a static IP for the switch, and configure the DHCP server on the switch accordingly. Click Apply.

Note: Please input the right DNS address and Default Gateway IP address here.

4. Final test

Change the PC back to Get an IP address automatically, or connect a new device to this network, follow FAQ838 to check the IP address, devices can get the right IP from the switch now, and you will see connected devices under the Client lists, connect the router back to the switch, the Internet should start to work properly now.

Appendix:

1. If you are not using an Omada router, the Internet may not work unless you can confirm your router supports multi-NAT. For more queries on this, please check out this guide: How to Set Up VLAN Interface on the Omada Router

2. To set up the 802.1Q VLAN and DHCP serveron the switch, instead of VLAN interface, please follow the steps: Settings > Wired Networks > LAN > Create New LAN. Purpose as VLAN. Application as Switch Only.

Repeat the Configuration Step 3. Make sure you set up the static IP and DHCP server.

Note:

1. For configuring IP address on Windows 10, please refer to FAQ919

Note: Please set a static IP for your OC200/OC300, once the Switch is adopted by OC200/300, and OC200/OC300 gets an assigned IP address from Switch, it will be hard to figure out the Controller’s IP address again. (On the controller, Go to Settings> Controller, under general settings, change it from DHCP to static IP, and input IP parameters.)

2. Difference between VLAN Interface and 802.1Q VLAN has been explained in this guide, in the Note area: How to Set Up VLAN Interface on the Omada Router

Update Log:

Apr 2nd, 2024:

Release of this guide.

Recommended Threads:

Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post.

• If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.
  • If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report? 

Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2 Reply
Re:How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller
2024-04-03 22:13:56

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

what if I would like to disable ER605 DHCP server and use SG3428X DHCP server and they are both already adopted in OC300 and configured ? I mean, I don't want to lose the configuration. But I do believe ER605 is basic router, while SG3428X is more performing switch, so I would like to hand off the majority of the load to the switch, if possible.

Thank you,

Fra

Options
Re:How to Set Up Switch as DHCP Server on Omada SDN Controller
2024-04-07 01:05:46

Hi @nicolati 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

nicolati wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi Clive,

what if I would like to disable ER605 DHCP server and use SG3428X DHCP server and they are both already adopted in OC300 and configured ? I mean, I don't want to lose the configuration. But I do believe ER605 is basic router, while SG3428X is more performing switch, so I would like to hand off the majority of the load to the switch, if possible.

Thank you,

Fra

Disable DHCP in the VLAN interface which may cause trouble for newbies if they have trouble setting the IP-related config. So, if you know what you are doing, you can disable the DHCP function in the Wired > LAN > default VLAN 1, its interface, disable the DHCP function which will turn off the DHCP function on the router.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 699

Replies: 2

Related Articles