Ethernet WiFi bridge to Access Point Connectivity?

2024-06-19 17:16:16 - last edited 2024-06-19 17:21:20
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello, 

We have the following network topology (image below) with an AP=tp-link EAP610(US) and the router=tp-link ER605(UN). I have removed some switches in between the router and AP for clairity but they are also tp-link. We use Omada to manage all the tp-link devices. 

This is actually for a robot network and in the end state there would exit multiple robots behind the access points. Showing only one for clairity here. Each robot will have a WiFi connection via the AP but each robot will also have two ethernet cards (NVIDIA Jetson Box) and one of the cards will have an ethernet connection to a device (Debian Linux). 

Much of what I am reading seems to be pretty dated so I am looking for inputs and/or advice on this network topology and the best way to set this up. 

I have explored, without success so far, OS level configurations and I am just wondering perhpas if there is a way to manage this through the tp-link devices i.e. Omada? 

I have posted OS level questions here and have not really recieved many inputs thus far. The tp-link forum would not allow my external links to be posted here so my apology. 

1. Ask Ubuntu 
  2. Superuser
  3. Nvidia Developer Forum

What I am gathering so far is that the AP is a Layer 2 device and that the problem to be solved is that the AP expects / allows only "authenticated devices" to get through via MAC address. So some networking configuration is needed to allow the ethernet cards to get to/from the AP then to the router/internet network. The method on which to achieve this seems to be all over the map. The various older threads out there suggest:

1. Bridging WiFi to Ethernet then perhaps one of the following:
    1. NAT
    2. ebtables L2
    3. Proxy ARP L3

Another sticking point so far is whether the bridge and bridged devices should be assigned an IP address. The way I am wishing for this to happen is that each WiFi or ethernet device should/could be managed via the tp-link Omada interface i.e. DHCP reservation etc... without having to manage each device at the OS level because with N robots we would get Nx4 devices that would impose local management of the devices rather than central management via Omada. 

Network Topology

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ethernet WiFi bridge to Access Point Connectivity?
2024-06-20 01:25:42

Hi  @zirogravity 

We also don't have much experience about this topology. I think it can only be done on the NVIDIA Jetson Box, make it work like a "bridge" or "network hub". 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options