Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC Part 2

2024-08-20 17:16:46 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.4.20

Further to my previous post Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC of

2023-12-15. I have now purchased an ER7212PC and in the process of setting it up but have a few questions. However it might be worth setting out what I want to achieve:

1. Ideally set up router behind existing router and configure it with all my devices before asking ISP to put my existing NTE into bridge mode.
  2. Have three VLAN’s as follows:
    1. VLAN1 - Home network 10.0.0.1/24 -For my pcs servers, printers and other devices which I need to access over the LAN
    2. VLAN 10 - IOT network 10.0.10.1/24 Primarily wireless smart switches but a few smart TVs and streaming devices which have ethernet connection
    3. VLAN 20 - Guest Network 10.0.20.1/24 Almost exclusively visitors Wi-Fi devices such as laptops, tablets phones etc
  3. I am aware from a warning from @d0ugmac1 1 that ACL separation is not possible at the switch level in the 7212 but I believe it can be done at EAP level which is primarily what I need
  4. A number of reserved DHCP static IP addresses for various devices such as my server, printers, CCTV & NVR devices and my five EAP225/245/225outdoor access points

So far I have configured the switch:-

• with port 3 (Wan port) for DHCP to connect to my exiting network
  • Edited the default Vlan1 to the 10.0.0.1/24 subnet and created the other two VLAN as in 2 above.

However this is where I get stuck.

1. Where are the reserved DHCP settings in the router so I can set these up.  I have 17 reserved addresses to set up on VLAN 1 but I can’t for the life of me find where they are. Eventually most of these which are CCTV NVRs and cameras will move to VLAN 10 but it was easier moving them all to vlan1 first to get everything up and running
  2. I was unable to migrate my existing Omada 3.2.7 configuration over as also warned by @d0ugmac1  but I can’t scan for them and adopt them until I can connect the 7212 to my existing LAN. As currently configured this would mean having two DHCP servers on the same network. Is there a way to do this without screwing up my existing network. e.g. an I turn off the DHCP server for each of the three VLANS and connect the 7212  to my current LAN. If so should it be the WAN port or one of the LAN ports?  Will I be able to find and adopt the EAPS and then re-configure the wireless networks.
  3. Alternatively would it be better once I have the reserved addresses entered in the 7172 to turn off DHCP on my existing router OR change the scope to only a couple of IP addresses e.g. 10.0.0.2-5 and change the starting scope on VLAN 1 to 10.0.0.6-254. My thinking is that the existing router will dish out an IP address to the wan interface but the 7212 DHCP server will take over for the rest of the clients.

Sorry lots of questions but this is proving harder than I first imagined to change routers and still keep the network up and accessible

Thanks in advance

Options
3 Reply
Re:Replacing ISP Router with TP-Link ER7212PC Part 2
2024-08-21 01:24:50

Hi @Fozzie Bear 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Don't have any better solutions if you are migrating from Omada Controller V3(sic) to the ER7212 which should be using the built-in V5 controller.

This is not possible as the config file has been changed a lot since V4.

Probably, the best way is to reconfigure them on the new controller and it probably should be faster than trying to find a way to migrate.

List the main features you are using and find them in the controller. The User Guide should be helpful. Or you can write a mind note for yourself to help accelerate the configuration.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago

Thanks  @Clive_A  As my post says I gave up trying to import the configuration and was going to set it up again manually. However i first need to connect the ER7212 to my existing LAN so the device can find the EAPs. I cant do that until I have overcome the last three questions I have posed.

Please can you point me to the user guide as the device only came with a quick setup leaflet and no further information either in paper format or a CD

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @Fozzie Bear 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Fozzie Bear wrote

Thanks  @Clive_A  As my post says I gave up trying to import the configuration and was going to set it up again manually. However i first need to connect the ER7212 to my existing LAN so the device can find the EAPs. I cant do that until I have overcome the last three questions I have posed.

Please can you point me to the user guide as the device only came with a quick setup leaflet and no further information either in paper format or a CD

Go to the official page and look up the models you have. Go to the support page, you'll find firmware and guides.

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2023/202305/20230525/1910013253_ER7212PC(UN)%201.0_UG.pdf

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 171

Replies: 3

Related Articles