Hard drive issues - VIGI NVR1016H(UN)

3 weeks ago
Model: VIGI NVR1016H  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 240507 Rel. 77310n

The device started to produce a sound every 5 seconds. I discovered that it's due to a hard drive issue. The hard drive can be accessed and connected to a MacBook, and can even be formatted to FAT32. However, the format button is not available in the NVR software. On the mobile application, the format button is available but doesn't work. When I try to format the hard drive from the mobile application, I get an error. The size of the drive is initially reduced to 1TB, then after a while, it grows to 5TB and remains unchanged. I have a 2TB WD Blue hard drive that worked for one year without problems. I have tried formatting the hard drive from the MacBook to FAT32 and inserting it back into the device, but the problem persists. I've noticed that users on this forum reported the same problem 2 years ago, but it was not solved. The hard drive works well when connected to other devices but it doesn't work when connected to NVR.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Hard drive issues - VIGI NVR1016H(UN)
3 weeks ago

Hi @dealex 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.
Instead of using the VIGI app to format it, have you tried it from the NVR web GUI?

The NVR does not contain a speaker. So you heard a sound from the device? Are you sure it comes from the NVR itself?

From the web GUI, will you be able to format it?

Will the drive work after the format? From the GUI?

What's the exact problem you experience? The topic is discussing the HDD. Seems to be a compatible issue. Did the drive work properly before?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Clive_A The NVR does not contain a speaker, but can emit beeps after each 5 seconds. Those beeps can be disabled from the settings.

Here is a video link with the similar problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4cFV9EbzA

"In my case, the device detects the hard drive, but I'm unable to select it from the list and click the format button. They are disabled. In the provided video, the author can do this. Here is a screenshot from the video. I suppose you meant for me to do the same.

As I mentioned in the first message, I have used this HDD inside the NVR one year before the incident. Looks likte the problem appeared after a power outage. I have tested HDD and it works well connected to a Macbook. It can be formated and I can write information on it, but it doesn't work connected to the NVR. Even formated on Macbook to FAT32 and connected back to the NVR, the device complains about problems with HDD 

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @dealex 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

dealex wrote

@Clive_A The NVR does not contain a speaker, but can emit beeps after each 5 seconds. Those beeps can be disabled from the settings.

Here is a video link with the similar problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO4cFV9EbzA

"In my case, the device detects the hard drive, but I'm unable to select it from the list and click the format button. They are disabled. In the provided video, the author can do this. Here is a screenshot from the video. I suppose you meant for me to do the same.

As I mentioned in the first message, I have used this HDD inside the NVR one year before the incident. Looks likte the problem appeared after a power outage. I have tested HDD and it works well connected to a Macbook. It can be formated and I can write information on it, but it doesn't work connected to the NVR. Even formated on Macbook to FAT32 and connected back to the NVR, the device complains about problems with HDD 

It could be the HDD not working with the NVR anymore. You have two choices, get a new drive and test it on the NVR to see if it is the controller(chip) on the board fried due to the outage.

Or just RMA the NVR but the hardware issue due to the power outage is not covered by the warranty.

Note that HDD can be damaged due to the power outage. One of the things you should avoid on an HDD is a power outage and sudden power cuts. That's very harmful to the drive.

Something I learned by playing around with the NAS.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options