Archer Vr900 V2 keeps dropping wifi once a day for a split second - help!!

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-07 17:24:29
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My new VR900 V2 was bought to replace BT HH5 on ADSL with 5Meg connection in the sticks. It works perfectly except that once a day, at the same time, it seems to momentarily disconnect then reconnect all devices on my wifi network. This wouldn't be an issue apart from the fact that I use some 7" tablets to monitor a live network CCTV camera on my system. These lose connection during this blip and have to be reset each day to continue to monitor the live CCTV feed. I didn't have this issue with the HH5 but don't want to go back using that since it was pretty crap...Any help to stop this from happening would be greatly appreciated...Thought it may be the lease time, which was set to 1440 minutes (1 day) but I can only change this to 2880 mins (2 days) which simpply means I'd need to reset all the tablets once every 2 days....The BT HH5 could have lease time set to 21 days, although even after 21 days the feeds didn't get interrupted, so i doubt if that's what's causing the momentary issue once a day...
Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer Vr900 V2 keeps dropping wifi once a day for a split second - help!!
2017-11-08 10:00:55
How about the wired connection of the modem?
If all clients including wired clients drop internet at the same time, check the dsl light and internet on the modem.
Better to upgrade the firmware if it is not the latest one.

If the the wired clients are ok, you can change some wireless settings on the modem, such as wireless channel and channel bandwidth.
Reduce the clients to do a test.
Options
2017-11-09 18:38:06
The fact that the wifi drops once a day at the same time would suggest it's the lease time setting of 1440 minutes that's causing the issue. How can I stop the router doing this, since the most I can extend that time to is 2880 minutes or 2 days. That doesn't solve the problem, it simpley makes it 50% less annoying. Any ideas as to how to stop the lease renewal from momentarily dropping the wifi connection. The internet doesn't disconnect, its the local network that momentaily resets every day...even the HH5 doesn't do that, and it's rubbish!!
Options
2017-11-10 09:31:26
Your issue is not related to the DHCP lease time.
Change the channel which is less used by other wireless routers. You can download inssider to check which channel is better.
Change channel width to 20MHz.
For your case, you can aslo reduce the clients to test the router.
If the issue still exist, contact support.uk@tp-link.com for help.
Options
2017-11-11 17:29:58
I've de-cluttered the wifi network and switched to 20MHz channel width last week following suggestions to do that, however that didn't fix the issue. The momentary drop out matches the DHCP lease time setting exactly, so IS related in some way to that. If I leave this setting at 1440, at 6:43pm each day I see th issue, If i change the DHCP lease time to its maximum of 2880 the issue happens every 2 days, at the same time of day as this setting was changed...Any ideas as to how to fix this?
Options
2017-11-13 19:51:41
To confirm the issue is related to the DHCP lease time or not, you can change the lease time to 5 or 10 minutes, then see if the connection drops after 5 or 10 minutes. Also you can try setup Static IP address on your client devices.

Dougz wrote

I've de-cluttered the wifi network and switched to 20MHz channel width last week following suggestions to do that, however that didn't fix the issue. The momentary drop out matches the DHCP lease time setting exactly, so IS related in some way to that. If I leave this setting at 1440, at 6:43pm each day I see th issue, If i change the DHCP lease time to its maximum of 2880 the issue happens every 2 days, at the same time of day as this setting was changed...Any ideas as to how to fix this?
Options
2017-11-18 09:04:53
I agree with Enson Loo , stop using Auto DHCP for the tablets and give them all fixed IP addresses , its very easy to do on the VR900 , use ADVANCED then NETWORK tab .

eg: If using 192.168.0.1 as your router , use DHCP from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.254 ( so you have DHCP for 154 devices plenty for mobiles and extra laptops )

leaving 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.99 for your fixed IP devices ( 98 fixed devices ) This can be done in ADVANCED then Network / LAN settings on VR900 interface.

Then go back into Network / LAN settings on VR900 interface and scroll down to Address Reservation , turn on each device one at a time and as it appears use ADD button ,
then give it an IP in the fixed devices range , this will lock its MAC address to an IP address so every time it appears on the Network the VR900 will give it the same IP.

You could do it by just adding all the MAC addresses to the list but this way there is no way you can make a typo on the MAC address.

A Power button restart on the VR900 will clear all clients and DHCP lists , but make sure each device is OFF, first , it may well be work disconnecting from ADSL/VDSL
via VR900 interface Network / Internet tab then pulling the DSL cable from BT socket until you have done all tablets as another restart after fixing all IP's is always prudent and
you don't want BT's DLM god to get nasty if restarting too many times in a short period .:rolleyes:

A restart may be needed to clear old info for IP's from memory on the VR900 , make sure all LAN devices are off and no wireless devices are on or it may try to use the
fixed range for a previously connected DHCP device . I usually play safe and turn everything off then turn back on, after ,if doing DHCP address range changes .:cool:

The Tablet will initially be given an AUTO DHCP address to connect ( 100 to 254 ) , then when you fix IP , restart tablet and reconnect , it should now be on the IP you designated
in the fixed range ( 2 to 99 ) if you got it right. If you've got any IP cams or NAS boxes do the same for them as well. I also do my mobile , it makes it connect far quicker.

If you get it running perfect don't forget to do a configuration backup , in case you need it in the future after a firmware update or whatever.( System Tools - Backup and Restore )

Good luck , this is the answer if its DHCP causing you issues. Let us know if it helps , as others will be able to use the info too.
Options
2017-11-19 18:40:21
Well. that's all been done. Permanent IP set on all tablets, just a waiting game to see if I get drop-outs after 24 or 48 hours. Will let you know. Many thanks Dink for a comprehensive reply. Much appreciated...Dougz
Options
2017-11-23 18:00:36
That did the trick, no more drop-outs or video loss on the tablets. Much appreciated Dink...
Options
2017-11-30 06:34:07
@Dougz

Brilliant , glad I could be of help . It is a bit of a pain to do I agree , but well worth it when it just works :)

Dink.

If you are now happy with it all working hit the " add to this users reputation " button that way it should come up nearer the top when someone searches for answers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1839

Replies: 9

Related Articles