ArcherC1200 OpenVPN Confusion

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-07-16 00:32:50
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi There,
I am trying to use the OpenVPN feature of my Archer C1200 router and am very confused about a few things.
For the record, I've setup an openvpn server on Ubuntu server before, and use that primarily, so I'm a little familiar with openvpn (not an expert by any means though).
All I am trying to do is be able to access the local network and internet from elsewhere in the world (this is the typical use case isn't it?), much like I currently have setup on my remote ubuntu machine.
I've followed the instructions here but they lack detail and didn't work for me.

My questions:
[*]Does enabling the OpenVPN feature automatically port-forward the VPN port from WAN to the router? Basically, if I try to connect from the internet, will additional settings be needed?
[*]When I export the config file, the remote line reads "remote 192.168.1.2 1194" which is very strange because my local subnet is 192.168.0.X and the router is 192.168.0.1. I changed to 192.168.0.1 and can connect, but this is pointless because I am already on the local subnet in order to connect to the VPN.
[*]Has anyone set this up to work with remote connections? I searched around but could not find much. Everything seems to assume you want to connect to it locally, which I don't understand why anyone would do that.

Thanks for reading! I really appreciate any help
Options
2 Reply
Re:ArcherC1200 OpenVPN Confusion
2018-07-16 00:37:31
Apologies! I am an idiot, forgot to port forward something upstream of the router.
To answer my question 1: Yes, it does appear to open the vpn port to WAN automatically when enabling the VPN (kinda obvious in retrospect).
Options
Re:ArcherC1200 OpenVPN Confusion
2018-08-05 10:55:35
I don't have the same router, but just got the C2300. I had the ASUS RT-AC86U for 3-4 days before this one, returned that and got this one. When creating the config file for OpenVPN, how does one setup a User id and password, so that when that file is imported into any OpenVPN client, the user id and password is asked. ASUS Router had this option when generating the OpenVPN file, but TP-Link router does not. So if anyone gets hold of the OpenVPN config file, they can login to my home network, which does not sound secure.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 651

Replies: 2

Related Articles