VPN tunnel on 3G/4G Nat network (TL-MR6400)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2018-11-04 18:06:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hey guys I need some advices.
So, here is the problem:
I just installed a TL-MR6400 4G Router which is connected to my home network.
The whole home network is connected to a TP-Link Archer C3200 Router set with a static ip using the 4G Router as gateway.
Previously I was using a DSL Router and everything used to work fine because I had a public IP so I was able to see my home network even from outside the house.
Now, my mobile company has a NAT network, so my public ip is not the real public ip and dynamic DNS services cannot be used.
So, looking for this kind of problem on internet I found out that I should create a VPN tunnel with a virtual server acting as VPN server.
Then, I rented a VPS and installed a VPN server. It's really simple to install ( https://github.com/hwdsl2/setup-ipsec-vpn) and it works perfectly if I try to connect my android mobile phone but I have no idea if it could be possible to use the "IPSec VPN" section on my router.
I tryed many settings but it keep saying that the status is "Down".
Any idea?
Options
5 Reply
Re:VPN tunnel on 3G/4G Nat network (TL-MR6400)
2019-10-22 08:16:52

@pantomax 

Hi, did you solve your issue?

Same problem here.

I have a GCP server acting as VPN server (IPsec over l2tp), with fixed IP. I can connect from a VPN tunnel created on my mac.

Now I want to create a permanant tunnel on my TP-Link MR6400 router which connects to the internet via a SIM card, but I can't figure out how to do it.

The VPN is needed to go past the NATting rules of my mobile providers and expone some IoT services.

Options
2019-10-23 07:18:02

@bertnic 

What is the current network diagram? 

The TL-MR6400 does not support L2TP VPN; and if you want to dial up  to the VPN server to get internet, I'm afraid that the MR6400 cannot satisfy your needs cause it does not support encrypted data. 

Good day. 

Options
2019-10-24 10:04:06 - last edited 2019-10-25 12:50:25

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for your help Kevin.

This is a very rough network diagram of my current situation.

My services sit behind the TL-MR6400.

Unfortunately my mobile provider is NATting my external dynamic IP address from my router and therefore I can't expose nor my MQTT server, neither my cams, while of course, surfing the web from a PC is not a problem.

I found somewhere that this situation can be overcome by creating a VPN tunnel with a fixed IP address server. Therefore I created a micro instance with Google Cloud Platform with a static IP address.

In my mind the VPN client should call the GCP VPN server and create the tunnel. At this point the server firewall rules should forward the MQTT and webcam addresses and ports to my static IP address on different ports, so I can be able to control my MQTT topics with a dedicated app or access the remote server via ssh.

A cloud MQTT service is not an option as it needs to be always on, independently from the availability of the internet. The business logic is hosted on the same RPi as the MQTT and it's dialoguing constantly with sensors and actuators on the local network. 

If internet is down, I can't control from remote but fallback procedures would still work locally.

Maybe you can recommend:

- a different 4G LTE router

- a different protocol to install on my GCP server supported by the MR6400

- a different firmware like OPENWRT on the TL-MR6400

Options
2020-06-24 08:37:48

@bertnic Did you ever find a way to complete this? I'm looking for the same thing down a Vodafone network so hoping for an easy solution :-)

Options
2020-06-24 09:40:47

@JohnJamesMarsh after some testing I decided to give up the 4G connection. It was too unstable for my needs.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 17081

Replies: 5

Related Articles