Can a switch turn off another device?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-01 15:19:53

Just wondering if I buy a light switch, can I use it to turn off say another tp-link outlet, or maybe a group of them?  Maybe whenever I turn on the lights in a room I would like it to turn on several other things,. 

It would be a great way to create a 3 way switch when the wiring doesn't exist.  Example: We have a barn with a regular light switch on one end. If you enter the barn from the wrong side you have to walk an addition 150' to get to the light switch, then walk back again to do what you wanted, then back to turn it off and back again.  600' of walking is great when you're wearing a fitbit, but sometimes I have other things to do than workout. :)  Rather than re-wiring the whole thing I can just grab power from an old unused lightswitch or pull it from a local outlet on that side of the barn to get the wifi up on the switch so it could communicate with the cloud to turn things on/off. 

Thanks

-Steve

Options
4 Reply
Re:Can a switch turn off another device?
2019-01-04 06:30:43

Tp-Link switch can turn on other device, the these other devices must be on once it get power . Actually, if you turn on TP-Link switch, the switch will let the powre pass through, so the device which connected to the switch can get power, and it will be on. But if there is a secondary on/off button, the switch cannot control it.

Options
Re:Re:Can a switch turn off another device?
2019-01-04 16:57:42
I think the request is to use one TP Link device (like a light switch) to send a message to one or more TP Link devices to get them to change state, instead of directly wiring them all together (150 ft is a long way to run an electrical cable). One option, if it helps (and since TP Link can't do it directly) is to run AutomationManager as a server (link below), synchronizing or slaving one or more device is a built in automation action.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options
2019-01-08 04:37:56
You might look into IFTTT its another app that allows you to control different devices. I bet you could come up with something if light turns on then turn on two outlets. Ryan
Options
2019-01-22 06:53:07

That was one of the features I liked a lot on the Wemo smart dimmer, but went with the HS220 since it was a paddle + button dimmer rather than touch sensors. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1750

Replies: 4