TP Link KASA android app "local only" errors and Alexa connection issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-01-23 14:40:55 - last edited 2019-01-23 16:34:21

Current setup, 6 TP Link HS100(plugs), 1 TP Link HS105(Mini plug), 3 HS200(wall switches) and 2 LB120 (light bulbs).  Over time the Alexa control does not work stating "the device is not responding".  When I check the Kasa app on Android phone, the device will be listed as "Local Only".  After a few minutes the "Local Only" will disappear from KASA app and Alexa connectivity to the modules works again. Most of the time if Echo cannot control a device, I am able to use the Kasa app to control it, so appears wifi connectivity to the device is OK , but not the interface from Alexa? A few times after Alexa could not connect to a module, the module would complete the requested action eventually after a few minutes. According to the Kasa app, the best dBm signal I have is 30, most are between 40 and 60 and I have one device at 76(HS100), all within specs for simple on/off switch control.

This is consistently happening, every day, usually in the evening hours after 5p, but is random at best and does happen before noon some days.  All of the devices have excellent wifi connectivity on my 2.4g (usually around 300m thruput when testing from the various locations). My 5g is amazing, I can get 700m over the air - I have 1gig fiber internet service.

Attempted Resolution steps:

Recently upgraded wifi router (same issue happened on old router), reset all modules and re added to Kasa and Alexa.  Did not resolve

Added static IP address to each device in my router assigned to its own MAC address - did not resolve

Each device running on DHCP - did not resolve

Change IP address lease times - did not resolve

Confirmed Latest firmware on all devices -

Confirmed correct Time Zone on all devices -

Ensured remote control is on in KASA app

Does anyone else have this same issue, know the resolution or have any ideas on what the exact issue is?    Is there too many modules running?

Options
9 Reply
Re:TP Link KASA android app "local only" errors and Alexa connection issues
2019-01-24 09:40:52

Hi, you can check whether your router has the power saving function, if yes, turn it off to have a try.

Options
2019-01-24 12:27:07

I am running into the same issue.  I recently upgraded to a MESH wifi system.  I am following this issue, but I did not run into this with my old single router. 

Options
Re:Re:TP Link KASA android app "local only" errors and Alexa connection issues
2019-01-31 09:04:18
How about move the devices next to the main mesh unit, turn off the other mesh device, and make sure the smart devices only connected to the main unit's wireless network, then check whether the connection is stable?
Options
2020-01-24 03:00:39

I too have been having the same and/or similar problems. When I first started using the devices everything worked as it should. Eventually I couldn't control

the devices or only some of them would work or the ability to turn things on and off came and went. I researched all that I could and tried most of the things 

suggested with no real success. I have the Linksys Velop mesh router with two nodes. This is the only router I have used with these devices and although

I have other routers I could try and didn't wanted to downgrade my system.

Yesterday I decided to try something that I hadn't tried or heard of before. I enabled the guest network on my Velop router and started adding the devices one by

one. I allowed the android app to reset the device and did a fresh install. It has been 24 hours and and everything works as it should so far. Every time I've opened

the app all the devices are available and responsive to being turned on and off. I have no clue why this makes a difference but I can certainly live with this setup if

that's what it takes for the devices to work. I will update this post in a week or two and let you know how it's working. Give it a try and hopefully it will work for you.

Thanks for listening.

Options
2020-01-28 17:14:10
It's been five solid days now since i moved my devices over to the guest network. Everything is rock solid still. Very pleased that this is working. Thought for sure I was going to have to invest in another system. All my devices show up ready to use every time i have opened the app so far. I will try to post a long term reply if I think about it. Thanks.
Options
2020-01-28 17:15:50
Just noticed these posts don't date themselves. My previous post was on 1/28/2020. Thanks.
Options
2020-02-12 17:49:19
Hi, did you move the Alexa to the guest network as well or just the smart plugs?
Options
2020-02-12 20:32:12

@HighSorcerer 

I just moved the smart devices. As of today everything is still working as it should and that includes working with Alexa.  Good luck.

Options
2020-06-09 18:05:35

@rdmrule1 

Thanks for your updates.

It only happens with two of ours and they show a full signal to our mesh network. I think we have around 12-15 of them so it's just the same old two. I suspect it's a hardware issue but it's interesting yours are still working on the guest network normally. I think I may try and change just those two to operate on our guest network and see what happens. Bit boring though and I worry for the other HS100's now..

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2890

Replies: 9