Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

384 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2022-05-23 00:50:59 - last edited 2022-05-23 00:52:22

@Hami If the deco did a good job of choosing the least congested channel, i wouldn't mind not having the ablility to change channels manually, but it doesnt. it is very bad. The past few days have been a nightmare. 

I live in a terrace house, and both my neighbours routers are on channel 36 (36, extended to 40, 44, 48), for 80 ghz. 

Guess what channel my deco chooses, channel 44, which is the same 80 ghz band as both my neighbours. Performance is TERRIBLE, with ping spikes up to 1000 ms, every few seconds. Unusable. Normally, it is around 3 ms. 

Tested with a cheapo access point, channel 149, and yes, as expected, pings are 2, 3 ms. 

there is nothing on channel 149, but deco just refuses to use that. 

This problem could be easily solved if I could manually choose channel 149, but I cant. 

My solution.

1. STOP using deco

2. Use a regular access point that allows me to choose channel 149 manually

3. Look for another mesh system that allows me to pick channels manually

Thanks 

OH, btw, I'm using the Deco X60, but yeah, same problem

Options
2022-05-26 10:05:10

@David-TP  this needs to be fixed the 5ghz channel is automatically setting outside the range my laptop uses, so it keeps connecting and disconnecting when it changes channels. 2.4ghz is too slow. so i would like to use the full speed functionality of my router... kinda dissapointed.. 

Options
2022-06-05 14:45:42

@David-TP 

it's been 2 years no firmware updates yet 

what's 

Options
2022-06-06 00:37:47

@David-TP 

That and when is the usb port going to be made useful? Was it just put there to look pretty?

Surely there must be an update coming soon to enable it. Why was this device manufactured with it if it cannot be used? This device has been on the market for years now yet we still cannot use it.

Options
2022-06-10 01:31:29

@Subliminal 

Hi, from the information I get, there is no plan to support USB sharing on Deco M9 plus and so far it only works as a charging port.

Best regards.

Options
2022-08-09 04:10:19

It's been over 2 years since tp-link made this statement in this thread

We have already noted all of your requests about choosing the wireless channels manually on the Deco system and they have been forwarded to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, not too long to wait, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

"not too long to wait"

.... 2 YEARS LATER and I STILL cannot switch to an uncongested channel.  The supposed firmware update to autoselect the best channel STILL hasn't arrived.

I'm tired of tp-link's "autoselect" BS.  Remember that widely reported problem where all the decos only connect to the main deco, regardless of its signal strength? Instead of connecting to the deco with the best signal, it inexplicably connects to the main deco on the other side of the house. Their response was it sHOuLd AuToseLEcT the deco with the strongest signal, and the ability to manually choose which deco to connect "is coming soon".  That was also a couple of years ago.

This whole deco line should be recalled and thrown into the incinerator.

My god this company angers me at every turn. Hopeless.

Options
2022-08-19 16:01:22 - last edited 2022-08-19 16:04:57

Hello @David-TP

I have been folllowing this thread and have been parked here for sometime hoping for a solution.

Bought the M9 Plus system (set of 3) to resolve some connectivity issues but due to the fact that I cannot manually change the channel to avoid wireless interefence that in turn plays foul with my wireless sound system, has become a big fail in terms of usability of Deco M9 Plus.

Please add me to the list of several frustrated Deco users. But I am hopeful so any update will be useful

Any idea please if we will get to be able to change the channel manually? Its been a while that this issue was raised.

Thanks.

Options
2022-08-24 04:54:52

I have a Zigbee 2.4 network that operates close to Channel 6 (and can't be changed without a major headache. I have Deco M5's and they were set to channel 6 and the network optimization said 'PERFECT'

Finally got a 4G wifi dongle and set that to wifi channel 6 and placed it close the M5 controller.

Previously when I tried the Network Optimization it again said 'Perfect' but nothing changed. So I rebooted all the M5 devices and it worked. The M5 channel switched to an uncongested channel.

Three months later after installing an upgrade I was back to square one with the M5 stomping all over the Zigbee network. I setup the USB dongle again and this time the Network optimizer spotted the congestion and successfully changed the channel without a reboot.

Well done TP-Link for fixing the optimizer but still crazy that without a manual setting for the channel I have to resort to 'chasing' the M5's away to a higher channel.

Options
2022-08-31 15:13:21

Its reallu frustrating to deal with this. The app clearfly shows interference and shows best channel but we cannot change teh channel nor the app selects that channel. Hvaing 5 decos connected in a place of 2500 sft but still streaming sucks, drop outs. The proiduct page shows seamless swithcing over mesh but i see it sonly a fancy stuff but never works. My work laptop is see always connected to the farthest deco while it has anothe one within 2m. i have to manually disconnect/connect it again to ensure it connects to the nearest deco. 

Options
2022-09-03 20:23:38

Hi Deco - ANY idea when this feature to change WiFi channel will be made available for us? 

I'm giving TP-Link one last chance before I abandon them once and for all. Absolute joke of a company.

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles