Change wifi channel on Deco M9

Change wifi channel on Deco M9

400 Reply
Re:Change wifi channel on Deco M9
2020-06-25 06:23:45

@Hami Amazingly frastrating, guys lets have some visibility on the development roadmap. 

Options
2020-06-26 08:27:59

@trimkot 

They ain't listening.

I am wondering whether the company is actually in a little financial trouble now. They don't seem to have a support system in place any more and i'm starting to mentally step away from their products. Shame as they have some good innovations and have built some decent products over the years.

I believe that if you buy a mesh network system, then read up on the technical stuff before purchase to see if it will do what you want it to do. Also, check out the local wifi interference and decide whether you need to change the channel (ideally you would want that as a function). Granted, from what people are saying, the auto channel mode doesn't appear to work with any sense of intelligence which is wholly disappointing if true. The Tenda system I use has no auto channel selection. 2.4ghz ch6 and 5ghz ch40. Luckily I seem to be the only person spurting out any wifi around here so it works for me. If someone next door buys the same system, then i'm changing to one with a manual channel selection. Anyone in a built up area should not risk one without manual channel selection.

Most people in built up areas would do better to spend the extra money on a better system, as in the Orbi RBK50.

Options
2020-07-08 11:26:41

@Hami This is so bad that I am returning my TP-Link Deco P9 network, it's rubbish. TP-Link R&D clearly doesn't give a damn and the network is up and down at night cutting off devices and without being able to manual change channels I do not know if anything is interfering with the current channel.  Micky mouse product, can't change the channel and can't change the IP address, why did I even bother with TP Link!  

Options
2020-07-08 15:15:21 - last edited 2020-07-13 18:01:32

@Hami 

I contacted support about this topic, because I recenlty bought they M9 plus set and I'm also missing this feature. They told me that this request is currently being tested at headquarters and if the testfase is positive, this feature will be rolled out in Q4 this year.

Options
2020-07-08 15:40:04

@Hami Q4! that's still a long time away. In the meantime, I have ordered another product that will allow me to do this as I have wasted enough time on TP-Link. additionally, there is no proof this is causing my issue of the network dropping nearly every night. It's only happened since installing the TP-Link network before I was using Apple Extreme, but just didn't get the coverage or a MESH network for that matter.  TP-Link taking this long has caused them to lose a customer.   

Options
2020-07-13 17:01:01

Just realized the x20 doesnt have this feature either... Returning today. 

Options
2020-07-13 17:52:32

Today my X60 (AX3000) started losing internet connectivity even though the signal was strong. Found out a neighbor apparently now has 5GHz to on the same channel (48). So I rebooted the main deco with hopes it would select another channel but unfortunate only the 2,4GHz shifted to another channel that stopped 2,4GHz working completely on the older tablets 🙁. But 5Ghz still was on channel 48. So I though I'd take my old ips router which has the ability to set the wifi channel manually (!) and forced it on channel 48 with max output signal and set it right beside the main deco. Then rebooted the deco but the deco still selected channel 48!! Who on earth? When there is a transmitter sitting right next to it on that channel!?

Options
2020-07-16 05:48:50 - last edited 2020-09-21 10:09:12

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

Thank you all for sharing your opinions and valued suggestions again. Apologies that manually choosing a channel for the Deco network is currently not available and this feature request has been forwarded to the developers for months and they are evaluating how to improve it. It is suggested to keep an eye on the Deco app or on the TP-Link official website as we will update the information once there are any updates. 

At the current stage, however, we cannot provide an exact ETA to our customers as the developers need to evaluate the feasibility to add new features and do round and round tests to ensure its performance. Most importantly, we cannot only add just one single feature in the new firmware release, thus a new firmware generally has multiple features added and bugs fixed to improve the performance of the whole mesh system. We believe that you guys need a new firmware that is more powerful and much more suitable for most requests but not to be our best testers

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and understanding. Have a nice day.

Options
2020-07-16 06:26:24

@TP-Link_Deco 

believe it when we see it but thanks for the update. 

It seems to me that, considering the automatic mode is so dysfunctional that a firmware update to fix that alone has been too long coming. Way too long. If they take this long to fix a major bug then I don't think a feature update is going to be on the cards for sometime to come. 

As I've said before. If the automatic mode doesn't work for you and you're clinging on for another year or two to get your mesh system working then I highly advise going with an alternative system as in the Netgear Orbi which offers this basic network admin tool as standard. 

Options
2020-07-16 07:43:53

@Stevieruss I have now purchased a Netgear nighthawk mesh system with just two units, not the four I had from TP-Link, and guess what? ever since installing a stable network with no outages. We even had a power cut for two minutes and the network was back up within two minutes.

Sending back my Deco units was the best thing I did, as for not knowing when Deco is going to get the functionality, if it takes the R&D department that long to listen to customers, then they don't deserve to be in biusiness.          

Options

Tags

Feature Request
Channel and channel width
Related Articles