TP-Link color bulbs or Hue color starter kit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-03-12 12:14:51 - last edited 2019-03-16 18:09:03
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Really torn here. I want to get at least 3 color bulbs for my son's room for Xmas. Alexa control is critical. I've narrowed it down to the Philips Hue 4-bulb starter kit ($140 on Amazon, includes their bridge) or 3 x TP-link color bulbs ($37/each = $111). I already have a number of TP-link products (3 white bulbs, some outlet switches), so I'm familiar with their Kasa app, which is nice enough. I'm a little more concerned with the security aspect of wi-fi connected IoT devices (TP-link) vs. Zigbee-connected (Hue), but I figure both companies (TP-Link, Philips) are reasonably reputable, Lorem Ipsum so maybe a wash? Additional TP-link bulbs are cheaper, but I've heard great things about the Hue app and their ease of use and programmability. Plus Hue offers an LED strip light product, TP-link doesn't, Temp Mail which might be nice to add in the future. Hue seems to have really strong support with IFTTT, though TP-Link is adding functionality there too. 10 Minute Mail TP-Link bulbs turn right back on at the last setting if you turn them off/on by the light switch - does Hue do that too? The Hue bridge has to be hard-wired via Ethernet, which would complicate isolating all my IoT devices on a separate vLAN, but that's mostly a minor issue. Any other pros/cons worth considering?

Options
2 Reply
Re:TP-Link color bulbs or Hue color starter kit?
2019-03-13 07:48:47

the TP-link smart bulbs only support secured network, even though it uses wireless, it should be encrypted. 

And there is no TP-link LED strip led product, while they may add it in the near future. lol

as far as I know, the TP-Link bulb supports IFTTT, and compatible with amazon/google, and it can be managed both locally and remotely.

Combined with the price, it is a good choice. 

Options
Re:TP-Link color bulbs or Hue color starter kit?
2020-01-12 18:08:17
This entire thread is spam.
AutomationManager: Secure home automation without relying on cloud servers.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1295

Replies: 2