Tri-band broken on M9 Plus?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-04-11 22:17:18
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.6 Build 20190308

So I don't yet see the changelog for this particular build on the M9 Plus support page, but I did briefly read the changes when I performed the update. Didn't seem to be anything pertaining to my particular setup, and I was in the mood to update.

Was a real pain though. I ultimately had to reprovision the whole network from scratch because both Decos came back from their update in factory default ready to be added to a new network (blue LED light).

Since then I've noticed something particularly odd. I purchased these M9's specifically because they were the only tri-band models. However, since the update, the nodes only appears to be operating in dual-band mode. Normally in a WiFi scan on my Windows 10 device laptop or my Pixel 3XL, I would expect to see my home's SSID broadcasting on at at least 2 of the 3 frequencies as well as a hidden SSID on all three bands. However, since the update when I have done WiFi scans, I don't even see them broadcasting a hidden SSID on one of the 5GHz bands for dedicated backhaul. It appears to just be using the lower 5GHz and not bothering with the upper.

I figure this is just a glitch considering the tough time I had with them after the update. Anybody have a similar experience? Anyone from TP-Link know what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Options
3 Reply
Re:Tri-band broken on M9 Plus?
2019-04-15 11:05:13

Hi,

Deco M9 Plus is tri-band Mesh system. Only 2.4GHz band and 5GHz band 1 would broadcast wireless signal for clients to connect. The other 5GHz band is only used for connecting the Deco units, not for connecting clients. So, you may not be able to detect it on your device. 

Do you have any problem with the Deco system? If you want to know about the change log of your current firmware, please let us know your current hardware version and firmware version.

Good day!

Options
Re:Re:Tri-band broken on M9 Plus?
2019-04-15 14:00:46

Thanks for the response, @Kevin_Z . I'm not sure I made myself totally clear. Basically I wasn't seeing even the hidden SSID on the upper-5GHz band that the Deco's use for backhaul. However, after checking using two other WiFi analyzer apps, I was finally able to see the hidden SSID on the upper-5GHz band, and I do acknowledge that it is difficult to properly "scan" for hidden SSIDs. The system seems to be functioning relatively normally now after having to set the system up from scratch. I would be curious to see a complete changelog, as I don't believe it's posted on the firmware updates page yet. I'm running the TP-Link Deco M9 Plus (hardware version 1) system of two nodes on firmware version 1.2.6 Build 20190308 Rel. 45598

Options
Re:Re:Re:Tri-band broken on M9 Plus?
2019-04-16 12:14:18

Hi,

Thanks for your valuable reply and glad to hear that Deco works fine.

Here is the changlog we have for the firmware 1.2.6:

Modifications and Bug fixes:
1. Please update your Deco App to latest version in order to use new features.
2. Added swicth buttons for SIP ALG and beamforming.
3. Added support of MAC Clone. 
4. Added support for IPTV.
5. Added Privilege options for manager accounts.
6. Optimized the QoS settings and Speed Test.
7. Improved the networking stability.

Hope that helps.

Good day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1216

Replies: 3

Related Articles