Wifi Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wifi Mesh
Wifi Mesh
2019-04-12 09:37:24 - last edited 2019-04-14 16:50:00
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone, 

My question is in regards wifi mesh technoligy, like any of the Deco devices, does it change the Mac address that the main router see for the users that connects to it?

I had an issue with wifi extender, that the MAC address of the wifi devices that connected to it was reported different to the router and it wasn't the actual connected device MAC address, I hope I'm explaining this correctly..

This caused me issues with application that I wrote that bases it's operation on the device MAC address and the exteder kept changing it .

So how does the Mesh work ? will it do the same or will the main router for example that provides the DHCP will see the original MAC address of the client?

Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Wifi Mesh
2019-04-15 05:36:17

Maybe to better explain, here is an extract from some site on how repeater works, and it explains why I don't get the Clients MAC: 

"Most wireless repeaters work as a wireless client and an access pointsimultaneously. So the repeater creates a wireless network with the same SSID of the network that should be improved and the clients connect to it. Then therepeater itself connects as a wireless client to the original access point."

So I would like to know if Mesh does the same 

Options
Re:Wifi Mesh
2019-04-15 11:39:09

Hi, 

I had an issue with wifi extender, that the MAC address of the wifi devices that connected to it was reported different to the router and it wasn't the actual connected device MAC address, I hope I'm explaining this correctly..

Do you mean the wifi extender is not Deco series?

Deco will show the actual MAC address of the clients which are connected to its wifi system. So, if you want to apply some settings like blacklist, parental control, deco will take the actual MAC address not a virtual MAC address. Mesh system is different from the range extender system.

Good day!

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:Re:Wifi Mesh
2019-04-15 11:41:20

Hi,

Deco should be different from the wireless repeater you mentioned. Basically, a wireless repeater using proxy mode will create virtual MAC address so on the main router DHCP list, the clients on repeater will show virtual MAC address and actual MAC address at same time.

Good day!

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Connect TP-Link Archer BE550 to Germany's DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Internet via WAN Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. If you found a post or response helpful, please click Helpful (arrow pointing upward icon). If you are the author of a topic, remember to mark a helpful reply as the "Recommended Solution" (star icon) so that others can benefit from it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1519

Replies: 3

Related Articles