Wrong setup for a home network?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-03 20:56:38 - last edited 2019-05-05 16:47:06

I have a Comcast Xfinity cablemodem/router/wifi and a separate wifi router, both with 2.5 and 5 GHz bands.

I originally did this because I wanted to play around with using a different router settings and with PiHoles and Xfinity DNS is locked down.

I also hoped that this would give better signal - the two routers using beacons at the opposite ends for each band, etc.

I have the second wifi router connected to the one of the router ports with a dedicated IP. I have two PiHoles on dedicated IPs, one of the Xfinity and one on the second router.

The second router is just an Archer C8, which was on clearance, and I mainly picked it up because it had a built in USB port and I could get to my music from the Roku.

Now, I am wondering if I am sabotaging myself by having these both running and close to each other? Lorem Ipsum

Is there a better way I should be doing this? Temp Mail

Would I be better off turning off the Xfinity router (Cisco DCP3939) or putting it in Bridge mode (?)? Or forget about having the second wifi router online?

We have a dozen or so devices that use wireless, from a few laptops, a handful of andoids and iphones, and the Roku. We do random internet stuff through out the day, - Nothing hardcore/ high demand, and mainly do streaming on the Roku. 10 Minute Mail

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wrong setup for a home network?
2019-05-05 06:02:48

Hi,

So right now you connect the C8 to the Comcast router and configure it as an access point with an dedicated IP, right? 

C8 supports USB sharing function in Access point mode. 

Is there any problem with them connected to wired cable and both running? More details will be better. 

Have a nice day. 

RyanTyler wrote

I have a Comcast Xfinity cablemodem/router/wifi and a separate wifi router, both with 2.5 and 5 GHz bands.

I originally did this because I wanted to play around with using a different router settings and with PiHoles and Xfinity DNS is locked down.

I also hoped that this would give better signal - the two routers using beacons at the opposite ends for each band, etc.

I have the second wifi router connected to the one of the router ports with a dedicated IP. I have two PiHoles on dedicated IPs, one of the Xfinity and one on the second router.

The second router is just an Archer C8, which was on clearance, and I mainly picked it up because it had a built in USB port and I could get to my music from the Roku.

Now, I am wondering if I am sabotaging myself by having these both running and close to each other?

Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Would I be better off turning off the Xfinity router (Cisco DCP3939) or putting it in Bridge mode (?)? Or forget about having the second wifi router online?

We have a dozen or so devices that use wireless, from a few laptops, a handful of andoids and iphones, and the Roku. We do random internet stuff through out the day, - Nothing hardcore/ high demand, and mainly do streaming on the Roku.

Options
Re:Wrong setup for a home network?
2019-05-05 19:51:14
Depends on what you are trying to do. I can see where having two WIFI close together may cause an issue if both are on the same channel. You may want to change the Advance WIFI settings of both WIFIs to use a specific channel (instead of auto) which are different from each other. Also be sure you use different SSIDs. I prefer to keep it simple so I have my own modem (a MB8600 so no monthly charge) connected to Comcast (Blast 150 service) and an Archer C8 for several years now. I have over 20 WIFI clients including security cameras, iPads, Amazon sticks, both window and apple laptops, Printers, X10,... and wired Ooma phone, Security DVR and iMac. Many times I exceed the 150 speed (in the 170 range). Yes, the modem is more than I need for my service, but I like the idea of having many up/down channels and the features that should last for many years before it needs to be replaced. Consider replacing the Xfinity modem with your own modem. If you decide to get your own modem, you can sign on to Comcast to see what user modems are supported in your area. Buy from a place with a return policy so if there are issues, you can return it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 848

Replies: 2

Related Articles