Kasa KC120

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Kasa KC120

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Kasa KC120
Kasa KC120
2019-05-04 12:24:17 - last edited 2019-05-04 12:33:38

Im using the above with a Amazon Fire HD10 as a screen ( using Alexa in show mode)

However, it only stays on screen for about 10 minutes before reverting to Alexa home screen.

How do I get it to stay on permanent display ?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Kasa KC120
2019-05-14 06:29:56

Hi,

For the camera, it is designed to off screen in 10 minutes, and there should be a notification on the camera.

Sorry to tell you that it cannot be customized yet considering the pressure of the cloud server. 

May it help and have a nice day. 

Margate wrote

Im using the above with a Amazon Fire HD10 as a screen ( using Alexa in show mode)

However, it only stays on screen for about 10 minutes before reverting to Alexa home screen.

How do I get it to stay on permanent display ?

Options
Re:Re:Kasa KC120
2019-06-12 15:40:55

This is a huge flaw in the camera.

I raised this with your support team months ago who promised to come back to me and have not.

There are posts recomending this camera for baby monitor use but with the screen dropping off this is unsafe.

Are you even devleping a firmware to correct this flaw as it is no where mentioned on your sales material and is not a feature i have seen with any other cloud camera model? If not i will look to return the camera as this is not fit for purpose. What use is a 'security' camera if you cannot watch it beyond 10 minutes?

Its the equivilent of a door lock that only stays locked for 10 minutes.. in your app it prompts very briefly to extend the viewing (so the servers can clearly cope). On something like a chromecast or Alexa device there is no prompt and the feed simply drops. If i was to request to start the feed again and again every 10 minutes i would be putting more load on your servers having to constantly establish new connections rather than simply holding an already established one open.

If you were to at least set the default feed timeout as 10 minute but allow users who require longer sessions - say up to 8 hours (baby monitor example through the night) to set a longer timeout this would easily address this issue. 

Please suggest my best course of action or if a solution is being developed. Happy to beta test if required. 

Thanks,

Ant

Options
Re:Re:Re:Kasa KC120
2019-06-13 07:31:12

Hi,

Based on the large amount of camera users, to reduce the pressure of the cloud server, the liveview screen will be off in 10 minutes automatically if there is no touch/command; 

While to view the video constantly, as a workaround you can touch the screen to re-activate it.

Meanwhile, we will forward this request to our R&D team; and to be honest, I have to say, it will take some time to evaluate the feasibility and produce the firmware and test its performance.

You can keep an eye on our official website or Kasa app for more updates.

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Kasa KC120
2019-06-13 16:48:32
Hi Kevin. Thanks for the reply but that is a problem for you to manage and not something we as paying customers should be faced with - especially with no mention of this before purchase. I cannot click the screen as I am using a Chromecast on my TV so nothing to click and the Google home screen does nothing when tapped. Even if it did this is not possible when watching from a distance. This reply is confirming the camera is not fit for purpose as it cannot reliably perform its single core task : eg be used as a camera. Please update by when you will know the response from r&d?
Options
Re:Re:Re:Kasa KC120
2019-09-24 16:25:00

@Kevin_Z 

Been about 3 months since the last update on this.

I recently purchased a Kasa cam to test out (thinking it would be a no brainer with all of my numerous other Kasa products - switches, dimmers, and plugs)... If all worked well I was going to pick up four or five different Kasa cams. 

But no option to configure for continuous playback via the app, and especially via Google Home Hub (Chromecast), is likely going to have me end up returning this - and unfortunately replacing with more expensive Logi Circle or ArloQ products. Default being 10 minutes is fine, but an option to configure for longer periods should be a basic feature for a security camera... 

Any hope on the horizon of continuous (or greatly extended, I.E. 90+ minutes in my case would be reasonable) playback via the app and/or Google Home Hub?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1417

Replies: 5

Related Articles