Ethernet connections to Deco Units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-13 07:48:46

I am planning to purchase a Deco home wi fi system (3 units).  I have ethernet cable running to the 3 intended locations for the Deco units and will keep my ISP modem router in router mode (but turning off wifi).  I understand that I can set up ethernet backhaul by connecting one Deco unit to the modem router by ethernet and then in turn connecting the remaining 2 units to each other in a “daisy chain” system.   Is it also possible to connnect each of the Deco units direct to the modem router (in a “star” system?  If yes, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Ethernet connections to Deco Units
2019-05-14 08:41:32

Hi,

You can make your ISP modem router as main router and configure the Deco units as access point and connect them to the main router directly; Like the scenario 2. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/

It still works, while the Deco does not support some advanced features in access point mode, like parental control, anti-virus and so on. But in access point mode, there won't be double NAT issue. 

If possible, you can make the ISP modem as bridge and connect the main Deco to it and works as the router mode, and then you can enjoy the advanced features and avoid the double NAT issue. 

Have a nice day. 

Options