Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-05-30 18:29:17 - last edited 2019-05-30 18:30:53
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.8 Build 20190403 Rel. 40244

Hi,

I have a 3 pack of deco M5 (EU ver 2.2) set in AP mode. I can connect the main one to my router (virgin hub 3.0, router / cable modem) and they all seem to work.

When I connect either of the others to the router at the same time as the main one (second one directly connected via ethernet, no switches, third using TP link powerline ethernet) the whole network stops working: can't join wireless (won't obtain IP addresses), no internet, not even the router management page through a wired ethernet port.

Any idea what would cause this and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Dan

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-05-31 01:13:43

Hi,

Theoretically it will work with them connected like a star network and Deco works as an access point. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/

Back to your case, we will do further analysis to fix it.

1. what is the light status of the 3 Decos?

2. what is the current network topology? With virgin hub--main Deco ---slave Decos connected, can you get internet from all the Deco nodes?

3. What do you mean by the router management page does not work?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day.

Options
Re:Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-05-31 08:43:53

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

As mentioned the Decos are in Access Point mode. I can get internet from all of them if I use wifi backhaul only. I would like to use ethernet backhaul, but when I try this (as per topology in attached picture below) I get IP configuration failure messages, icon is solid red on main deco and flashing orange on other two.

Removing either ethernet cable seems to resolve the issue (but is wifi backhaul).

To answer your questions:

1 for the topology using ethernet backhaul; solid red (main), flashing orange (other deco)

2 see picture below, with this topology I cannot get internet from any node.

3 When I tried to connect the third deco via powerline adaptor to the router as well (via tp link adaptors which I have been using without issue previously) I found that this caused the virgin router to become unresponsive (no internet anywhere, and unable to use web browser to check status of network on 192.168.0.1 until it was manually rebooted).

Plese let me know if you can think of any suggestions to get the ethernet backhaul working for my set-up.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-05-31 12:18:10 - last edited 2019-05-31 16:28:24

Topology mistake, you need connect 2nd Deco into 1st to work properly.

In AP mode you need all DECOS at same network behind main Deco.

Options
2019-06-01 06:23:47

Hi,

For the topology, is there any error message on the Deco app when the main one became solid red and the other 2 flashing orange?

With your device connected to the main router, what is the IP/gateway you obtained? To do a comparison analysis, please connect your device to the main Deco and check these info as well. 

Note: How to get them: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

Meanwhile, like Leogz said, with the 2 Decos connected to the main Deco by wired cable instead, does the whole system work properly? 

What is the current hardware and firmware of the Deco units?

Thanks in advance, and have a nice day. 

Options
2019-08-06 20:58:39

This is not a topology mistake; you are wrong.  This configuration is specifically allowed for in https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/2399/

I have exactly the same problem and there seems to be some sort of complex incompatibility between the Virgin Superhub 3.0 and mutiple Decos using ethernet backhaul.  

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-08-08 07:09:43

@JeremyK 

Yes, the topology is not wrong; we can use them like that way;

While we have not found or received any compatibility issue between the Deco and the Virgin Media hub 3; 

Could you please provide more information of the current issue and then we can do further analysis and give you a specific answer. 

Best regards. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-08-08 08:50:50

The setup I have worked correctly with a Superhub 2.0 but does not work with a Superhub 3.0.  I am currently in contact with TP Link UK Support.  I have sent them all the info they requested.  I have also sent a Debug log from one of the Decos.  

I think that the ethernet packets that get sent between the Decos are somehow getting interpreted by the Superhub.  The Superghub is a product from Arris.  

I am not sure how I should best get the issue looked at at the right level in TP Link.  I think it will be necessary for you to get hold of a Superhub 3.0 and do your own tests.

Incidentally, I found a strange thing.  The system time on the Decos is not synchronised.  One Deco shows GMT and another shows British Summer Time (an hour apart).

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Deco 5 in AP mode - cannot connect more than one to router
2019-08-09 08:17:57

@JeremyK 

Thanks for your reply, and I do find that you raised a support ticket, and our engineer will take over your case.

You can wait a while for their reply, they can give  you some suggestions and try to fix it.

Regarding  to the issue reported, we will try to do a test at our lab with a superhub 3.0 later. 

Best regards. 

Options
2021-05-28 16:29:58

@Kevin_Z  not sure if it's relevant or not anymore, but I had a similar situation with my triple set of deco m5. What solved it for me was... time. I waited for 5-6 minutes after everything crashed, and suddenly the entire network came back to life and all decos got green. It seems the backhaul overwhelmed the router and it took it a couple of minutes to sort this out. This happens every time my router restarts, but eventually everything returns to normal after 10 or so minutes.

Try waiting before giving up...

Options
2021-05-31 06:20:33

@Idofl 

Hi, May I know the model number of your home router?

It is more related to the smart DHCP feature on Deco and when the main router is disconnected, Deco failed to detect the DHCP server in the network and would enable its own DHCP server; When the main router came back, its own DHCP function would turn off automatically;

As for the recovery time, 5-6 mints is a little bit long and did you need to wait at least 5 mints every time before the Deco got back online?

And we will also add a DHCP on/off switch on the access point on firmware 1.6.0;

Thank you very much and wait for your reply.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2222

Replies: 10

Related Articles