TP-LINK TL-WPA8630P slow ethernet speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-13 14:14:43
Model: TL-WPA8630P KIT  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 20170330

Hello, i recently bought a Powerline TP-LINK TL-WPA8630P Kit so i could enhance my poor wi-fi coverage, it did help with the wi-fi coverage.

However, i also plan to connect to lan ports to the computers.

I have the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz networks on two diferent SSIDS, Rocket2 and Rocket5.

When i connected the pc to the ethernet port on the powerline, the Ethernet name on the Network connections in windows is ROCKET2...i find it strange, that it recognizes through cable the 2.4Ghz name...

The speed tests are under 70Mb (i have a 200Mb connection), the wifi speeds with the 5GHz on this room are even a bit superior, not by much but a bit.

Im having a hard time with this, i even connected the pc directly to the router and i get a clean 200Mb speed test...

I know electrical interference can happen, but i find it strange that it recognizes the Rocket2 on the ethernet connection name.

Is there something wrong here on my part? Bad config?

I appreciate the help,

Thanks

LM

Options
4 Reply
Re:TP-LINK TL-WPA8630P slow ethernet speed
2019-06-17 08:32:11

Hi,

The computer can connect to the powerline adapter by wired cable and by wireless together, in this way, on the task bar, you can see the wireless network name while it just shows the wireless connection, it won't affect the performance of the wired connection, it has higher priority than wifi connection. 

Back to your case you can disconnect the wifi network and connect your device to the adapter by wired cable to test the speed. 

first, you can follow the below instruction to narrow down the issue and tell us some details:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2231/

a. the speed you can get from WPA8630 when it is in the same with main router.

b. The wired link speed of your computer; how to get it: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2265/

c. The powerline link which shows up on the tpPLC utility.

d. The speed you can get from the main router by wired cable with the same computer.

e. The hardware and firmware version of the powerline adapters. 

Any updates, just let us know.
Good day. 

Options
2020-07-12 09:04:04 - last edited 2020-07-12 09:04:59

@Arcadexx @Kevin_Z 

Hi,

I have the same issue. Tried all the steps provided. Connected in the same room where the utilility software shows 833Mbps speed. While the speedtest shows only 200Mbps.

When directly connected to the router, speedtest shows 900+Mbps.

When connected to different rooms, this even drops further. Speedtest shows only 70Mbps. All these testings were done through the wired connection.

Appears to be misleading product sale that says Gigabit Ethernet, 1300Mbps speed when reached out to customer case, its the powerline speed and not the internet speed. Why would any consumer care about what powerline speed is as long as the internet speed is met as to whats advertised.

Options
2021-08-05 19:41:35
Did you manage to fix the issue?
Options
2021-08-06 03:27:13

@aklondonuk nope. Sold off the device. Customer care is pathetic and they were trying to imply that I misunderstood their sales

Box which was clearly misleading.

never coming back to TP-Link due to their integrity issue and cheap tactics.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6675

Replies: 4

Related Articles