Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-06-19 18:38:56
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have two internet connections because while the ADSL one(TD-W8968)is pretty reliable it is very slow.As a result I also have. SIM card connection which is generally much faster but is a bit unsteady.I have a Powerline adapter with 2 extenders(TL-WPA4220 bought a few months ago) linked to the SIM router(AC750)Beacause of the house layout I would like to set up a separate Powerline adapter connected to the ADSL router,with one extender(also TL-WPA 4220).The two adapters would be in different rooms but some times one of the extenders from each adapter might be in the same room but ethernet connected to separate devices.Can I do this and will both work normally.If I can are there any special things be to bear in mind when setting up the second adapter and extender?Many thanks.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?
2019-06-22 08:46:30 - last edited 2019-06-22 08:46:56

The Powerline adapter is just creating the low level physical connection (at layer 2 on the OSI model). All Powerline adapters will see all others if the electrical circuitry allows them to. Powerlines use the HomePlug standard which means you can connect up to 64 devices together at your home and they act line a big network switch. To do what you want, you'd need the Homeplug standard to support VLANs, which they don't currently.

Options
Re:Re:Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?
2019-06-22 10:09:56

many thanks.I have just come across this the FAQ on Powerline adapters which confirms taht you can have separate Powerline networks on a domestic power circuit pointing to useful guidenec on setting up.

Craib

Options
Re:Re:Re:Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?
2019-06-22 11:09:46

Hi - the link didn't come up.

I'd be interested to see what information you have as I've never been able to do this without using equipment external to the Powerlines i.e. managed switches that support VLAN tagging or something similar (extra cost).

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?
2019-06-22 12:53:40

I am having difficulty copying links onto this webmail. This one was www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq406 and there is a helpful one about set up of separate networks on https://weakwifisolutions.com. 

Options
Re:Can you have two powerline adapters operating on the same domestic electrical circuit?
2019-06-24 10:09:12

Hi,

Sorry to respond late. 

Usually we only need connect one adapter to the main router by wired cable and make other units as receivers. While you can connect 2 units to the main router by ethernet cable and make separate network by pairing them indivisually. 

Good day. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 5359

Replies: 5