are there any benefits of deco mesh behind an existing router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-01 11:11:05
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

hi all

I have an existing TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 router in my home.

I have just bought the 2 pack deco M4.

should I still use my router (with wifi disabled) and put the deco M4 with it? (router->main deco->slave deco)

or simply use the deco and remove the router (main deco->slave deco)

what are the benefits of still having my router around? (if there are benefits)

thanks in advance.

Options
3 Reply
Re:are there any benefits of deco mesh behind an existing router?
2019-07-02 00:56:02

Hi,

With C7 works as a router but with wifi disabled, the devices can still get internet from the C7 and the advanced feature like parental control, USB sharing will still work. while if the Deco M4 connects to C7 by ethernet cable and works as a main router, there will be 2 routers/DHCP servers, the devices connected to the C7 or M4 won't be able to access each other. So called the double NAT issue. 

While with main deco->slave deco, the devices connect to the Deco will be in the same network, and they can access each other, only one DHCP server existed.

For the C7, you can connect it to the Deco and configure it as an access point to extend the wifi range. Below is the instruction: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c7/#video

May it help and have a nice day. 

Options
2021-05-04 20:46:46

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Im in the same situation.

You say

"For the C7, you can connect it to the Deco and configure it as an access point to extend the wifi range. Below is the instruction: 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c7/#video"

Doing this, can the C7 be part of the new WiFi that Deco creates and be a Mesh device?

Thank you!

Options
2021-05-05 07:46:53

@gonzalo_s 

Hi, C7 would have its own wireless network which is not the same as Deco mesh system;

Thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3364

Replies: 3