Extending a Range Extender (TL-WPA4220)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-04 05:57:57 - last edited 2019-07-04 08:22:22
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Firstly - my unit seems to be type AV600 (which didn't appear in the drop-down list) so sorry if I've posted in the wrong place!

A  couple of weeks ago I purchased a TL-WPA4220 range extender from PC World :-

It's a powerline extender and comes with 1 x base station and 1 x remote unit (i.e. it's a twin pack). A few weeks after buying it I realised there's an alternative version available (TL-WPA4220T) which offers an extra remote unit (i.e. it's a triple pack). Unfortunately, PC World don't sell it and they seem reluctant to take back my old one as it's not faulty and I've been using it for 3 weeks.

I just wondered if there's anywhere where I could buy myself an extra remote unit and use it with my original purchase (i.e. as if I'd originally bought the triple pack version)?

[Edit...] Just after my original post I found this link on somebody else's thread:-

https://www.tp-link.com/home-networking/powerline/

Apparently it's supposed to link to a site for buying extra powerline adapters but it seems to be an invalid page (the invalid page links to some other page but that one just seems to be general info). If there's a link to a page for buying extra powerline adapters I'd really appreciate it.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Extending a Range Extender (TL-WPA4220)
2019-07-04 08:26:05

Hi,

All the TP-Link powerline adapters are compatible with each other. 

If you want to add another single powerline adapter into the current 4220, it is suggested to buy a 4 series, like TL-WPA4220.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/ 

And you only need press the pair button  to add the new unit.

Instruction as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/258/

Good day.

Options
2019-07-04 08:51:20

Thanks Kevin, I just found one on Amazon.

Options
Re:Re:Extending a Range Extender (TL-WPA4220)
2019-07-04 11:03:38

that is okay. 

if need more help in the future, just feel free to get back to us. 

Options
2019-07-09 17:46:36

The extra remote unti arrived this morning and was up & running within minutes. I must admit I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to set up (one of the few electrical products that "just works" !! )

My only concern with the units is that they seem to get surprisingly warm (at least, mine all do...) Is that normal?

Options
2019-07-10 19:27:02

@johne53 

Glad to hear that the new units work properly now. 

For the warm issue, as an electrical appliance and a network expansion device, it is normal to produce heat. 

Meanwhile, it is suggested to locate it in an open and airy place.

Options
2019-08-10 08:48:39

Sorry to re-open this....

I've had the new range extender for 5 or 6 weeks now and I've still got the original one I bought from PC World. I have a home computer connected to each of them (both running Windows 7).

The new range extender mostly works - but it'll drop my internet connection several times each day (i.e. the 2 computers can see each other okay - but only one of them can see the internet). Whenever this happens I need to re-boot that particular PC or power down the new range extender and power it back up again.

One difference I've noticed is that my old range extender (the one I purchased from PC World) has 4 x LED's which are rock solid, 100% of the time. Whereas the LED'S for the newer one flash on & off very rapidly. Up to now I'd assumed this was just a change in the design (older version vs newer version). But I'm wondering now if the flashing LED'S should in fact be solid, like the more reliable one? Does anyone else have a TL-WPA4220 whose LED'S are consgtantly flickering?

Options
2019-08-12 01:18:03

@johne53 

What is the current network diagram? Please mark their model number as well, especially the new extender you bought. 

Meanwhile, what is the led status of it when it lost connection? WIth your computer connected to it, please click here to verify its IP and gateway. 

For the led indicator explanations,  you can refer to the picture below: It is for TL-WPA4220 V4. For more information, you can read the user manual. 

Besides, try to change different sockets to plug them or swap their locations to verify whether it is the extender itself or the location issue where the signal strength is weak.

Good day. 

Options
Re:Re:Re:Extending a Range Extender (TL-WPA4220)
2019-08-12 13:33:07

Thanks again Kevin. I can't find any info to tell me the adapter's verion but the LEDs are as follows (for the newer adapter):-

1) Power LED and Ethernet LED are both solid

2) Powerline LED and Wireless LED are both flashing rapidly

If I change to a different power outlet (or if I simply swap the 2 adapters) the one with the blinking LEDs continues to have blinking LEDs and the one with solid LEDs stays solid. I'm guessing this imight be a problem with the newly purchased module... The seller described it as "renewed" (which I assume means that some other purchaser had already returned it...)

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Extending a Range Extender (TL-WPA4220)
2019-08-13 08:08:03

@johne53 

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, it is fine no matter it is solid or flashing; both indicate that the relative feature has been enabled and working well. 

For the unstable connection issue, you can follow the instruction below to locate the issue first. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2230/

Best regards. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1434

Replies: 9