TL-PA4010 TpPLC bandwidth is not consistent with speedtest.net results.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-12 06:51:23
Model: TL-PA4010P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I have been a fairly satisfied user of the TL-PA4010PKIT for a couple of years now until we decided to upgrade our internet connection at home from 5Mbps to 50Mbps. Since then, I noticed that I have only been getting between 7 - 15Mbps when running speedtest.net while connected to a wifi access point that is connected to the LAN port of one of the PA4010 units. However when I open the TpPLC app on my Macbook while connected to that access point, the app is reporting between 40 - 70Mbps which changes probably when there is noise from other electrical appliances at home. I confirmed that checking at the modem end that I am getting the expected 50Mbps when I connect the laptop directly to it and run another test on speedtest.net.

Why is there a discrepancy between the speedtest.net result and the TpPLC app result when I assume that they are using the same routes/channels? I am expecting that the speedtest result will be able to play between 40Mbps (minimum from TpPLC) - 50Mbps (maximum from the internet provider).

Is there anything that I should do to bring the actual internet speed check closer, if not exactly as the TpPLC app results? Thank you!

Options
4 Reply
Re:TL-PA4010 TpPLC bandwidth is not consistent with speedtest.net results.
2019-07-12 08:26:43

@Renetic 

The powerline link rate showing up on the tpPLC utility is not the actual speed/transfer speed, while it will affect them a lot. Like some other interference. 

Generally speaking, the actual speed is about 30% of the powerline link rate, plus the interference of other eletrical appliance, the speed may be lower. 

You can change different wall socket to plug it and check whether the powerline rate will be higher. And then check the actual speed you can get from the PA4010P directly.

Options
Re:Re:TL-PA4010 TpPLC bandwidth is not consistent with speedtest.net results.
2019-07-12 09:17:21
Thanks for the feedback! I also tested it by directly connecting to the 4010 unit via the ethernet port and the bandwidth is pretty much the same for both the tpPLC utility and speedtest.
Options
Re:Re:Re:TL-PA4010 TpPLC bandwidth is not consistent with speedtest.net results.
2019-07-15 17:15:49

Hello. I just installaed a 4010 KIT myself.

I have 600 Megas of fiber. I connected one adapter to the router, one to a smart tv in another room.

Netflix says it gets a speed of 28-31 megas. so 5% of whe original speed.

This is within an apartment, so not great distance. And the apartment is 10 years old, so the cables should be OK.

What can I do ?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:TL-PA4010 TpPLC bandwidth is not consistent with speedtest.net results.
2019-07-15 18:08:27

El TP estaba enchufado en una regleta de varios enchufes. Cambiando de enchufe en la regleta, y poniendolo como primero del todo, me pasa la velocidad en destino a 50.

En destino, lo habia enchufado directo a la pared, intente cambiar de enchufe tb, y ponerle en una regleta, alli me cayo a 11, asi que se nota que mejor la conexion directa a la pared.

Alguna otra idea ?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1490

Replies: 4