Two switches conected with long cable: fail

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-07-13 22:26:05
Model: TL-SF1008D  
Hardware Version: V11
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I trying to extend a home network by conecting one switch (tl-sf1008d) to a second switch (tl-sf1005d) with a 25m CAT6 cable.

After a long negotiation (link LED on and off) there is no connection.

If I connect a PC instead of the second switch it works. Ping is less than 1 ms and there is no packet loss. Seems that the cable is OK.

If I connect both switches with a shorter cable (2 m) it works.

Do these switches have a reduced range (Ethernet standard max distance is 100m)?

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Two switches conected with long cable: fail
2019-07-15 07:51:44

@marmol 

With router -- SF1008d--sf1005d connected, what is the led status of the 2 swicthes? 

With computer connected to the SF1005D, click here to get the IP and gateway of your computer. Please show us a picture of it. 

Meanwhile, please repeat it with computer connected to the SF1008D.

After that, try to ping the gateway of the router from the computer which connects to the 2 switches separately. 

Options
Re:Re:Two switches conected with long cable: fail
2019-07-15 09:19:09

>>With router -- SF1008d--sf1005d connected, what is the led status of the 2 swicthes? 

ON. But it takes a lot to get a stable ON

>>With computer connected to the SF1005D, click here to get the IP and gateway of your computer. Please show us a picture of it. 

"here" link doesn´t work. But computer doesn´t get an ip.

>>Meanwhile, please repeat it with computer connected to the SF1008D.

As I said: it works, gets ip, navigates

>>After that, try to ping the gateway of the router from the computer which connects to the 2 switches separately. 

it doesn´t work.

I tried with another cable (20 m CAT6 no shielded), it works perfectly.

Difference between the two scenarios:

1. First cable: 25m CAT6 shielded running along power line (I know I shouldn´t do that but I have no choice)

2. Second cable: 20m CAT6 UNshielded not close to power lines.

For now:

I think that the problem lies in the ethernet cable running along power lines.

BUT it seems that the TP-LINK switches are more sensitive to power lines than a PC.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Two switches conected with long cable: fail
2019-07-15 13:18:10
I have replaced the tl-sf1005D for a tl-sg108E (UnmanagedPro) and it works fine! I still have doubts about the ethernet cable running along power lines, but it works. It seems to me that the tl-sf1005D is more a DESKTOP switch (short distances) than a proper NETWORK switch. Thanks for all.
Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Two switches conected with long cable: fail
2019-07-16 05:42:27

@marmol 

Thanks for your feedback, glad to hear that you got it fixed by replacing a TL-SG108E; for now it is hard to say what the root cause is; while considering it is working fine now, you can take more time  to verify its performance. 

Any further problem, just let us know. 

Options
2019-10-16 14:44:13

@Kevin_Z 

Hi, while reading other posts, trying to find a solution to my problem, I found this post, which is identical to my problem, though a different model. I just prchased a new TL-SG105S, plugged everything in and my 2 computers can 'see each other', but I cannot get an internet connection to my router. If I use a 2 metre ethernet cable between switch and router, it connects no problem, but when I use a 25 metre ethernet cable, it will not connect. 

The 25m cable connects 1 computer direct to the router no problem, I know the cale is good, I have done the 'ping test' etc and everything works well between the 2 computers.

Thanks.

Options
2019-10-23 07:27:46

@Johnny_B 

With a 25m cable connected the router and switch, please connect the computers to the switch and click here to verify the IP and gateway they obtained. 

Try to ping each other and show us the results. 

Besides, please ping the gateway of the main router from the connected switch, please show us the picture of the results also.

Options